Bluebirds

Looking At Surge Brake- What About Break-away Switch?

Setting up a new toad. In past have used BO Patriot. Would appreciate advice, suggestions, what to look for, what you use RE: surge brake. What about break away on surge brake setup?

We read good things on-line groups for ReadyBrake and open to that.

Thanks in advance for help and experiences you share.

Roadmaster Even Brake system has all you need including breakaway. I'm very please with it as I can watch the monitor in the cab to see when braking or not.

I can't see how you could install a breakaway system on theRedibrake sysstem. I have used the Roadmaster Brakemaster with breakaway system on 4 toads so far and like the ease of installation, it is a proportional braking system and I think it is one of the best out there just under the M&G, the M&G is a bear to install and cant install on all toads.

The breakaway system for the Brakmaster is a simple system to build yourself with a $35 mac valve a few fittings the hardest part is finding the little tank or building one or using two 2 1/2 bull plugs and a 21/2 collar to make one.

We have used the Readybrake with the break away with no issues. It is pretty easy to install.

Theoretically, if the tow bar is rated for the weight you are towing it shouldn't have a failure, if you installed the pins correctly the towed vehicle shouldn't separate and if you don't drive on a crazy road (bump wise) you shouldn't really need a breakaway. BUT - Murphy's law says it will be needed. There surely is a sinking feeling to see your towed vehicle pass you!

Surge brakes have break away protection. I use a tow dolly with surge brakes and it came with break away to engage brakes if needed. The Ready Brake tow bar also has the break away protection.