ravenhund2@msn.com

Bounder Bathroom

Hi. We are trying to decide if we should redo our Fleetwood Bounder bathroom. We bought the unit used and it has a bathtub that takes up loads of space. We would like to replace the tub with a walk-in shower. Has anyone out there ever done this without taking it to a RV dealer or repair shop?

We are the do-it-yourself types, but we don't want to undertake the project without some research or advice. Thanks.

Wendy and Mike

I'm a retired plumber and have done a lot of bathroom makeovers, but never in a motorhome. That project I'm sure would be a challenge because of all the close quarters, storage tanks and other structural systems. I would be likely to jump into the project with both feet and deal with the problems as they come along. After all, the unit was manmade to begin with. An RV dealer would have the same challenges, as I'm sure that's not a real common project for them. Also, it would be quite expensive. If you like a challenge, do some snooping in under and around the bathroom so you can plan your project. Then go for it.

I was thinking about remodeling my bathroom in my '94 Bounder, removing the tub, but the tub goes up the sides about a foot and a half. I could make it out of ceramic tile, but the weight is what I worry about. I've done a lot of home bathroom shower/tub areas. I will just have to roll it around a while before making a decision. (Might take a few years!)

Last year was "The Year of the Bathroom" for our Heritage. Started to investigate a ceiling leak and it got ugly fast. after tearing out the ceiling, then the side wall and then the rear wall...well, I was committed. I removed solid insulation, rotted framing and and inner and outer wall paneling right to the outer skin. Because it is located in the back corner of the rv, exterior moldings and screws along the rear cap and roof had to be removed so that the framing rotted framing could be removed anad new fitted and spliced in. Oh yeah, fixed the roof and molding leaks as part of rebuilding the walls and ceiling. As much as we wanted a walk-n shower I opted to keep the tub. Sanded an refinished the ugly yellow thing to a pleasing off-white. This was an opportune time to be gone with the existing fixtures for a Symmons Temptrol and a shower head as close to the ceiling as possible. This required some additional framing in the exiting forward wall to attach the Temptrol shower controller unit. and build out around it such to have a surface to flush mount is and still maintain the original wall width for the new shower wall surface.

After insulating(solid insulation) and lining the inside walls with 1/4" plywood the walls and ceiling are finished using carefully fit cut and glued white FRP(fiberglass reinforced paneling) with it's associated mouldings. Finished up mounting fixtures, all took about a 10 days.

All the best,

Scott & Lin

I

post-4127-1274926547_thumb.jpg

post-4127-1274926580_thumb.jpg

post-4127-1274926612_thumb.jpg

post-4127-1274926641_thumb.jpg