Sign in to follow this  
LindaMueller

Suggestions for Massachusetts to SC Trip

Question

My husband and I are new to RVing and would like to hear from others who have traveled from MA to SC during this time of year (Thanksgiving). We have a Roadtrek RS-Adventurous and will be traveling with three dogs and an 88-year old-mother.

Any suggestions of where to stay, eat, visit along the way, would be much appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Welcome! I am also from Mass and have traveled to Florida on a few occasions. I can not give you a lot of specifics other than to recommend you avoid the 95 corridor through CT, NY, NJ etc. We usually take 84 through CT, NY towards Scranton PA and then head down 81 through Harrisburgh, into VA and pick up 77to Charlotte. It is a much less stressful and more scenic ride than 95 and adds only about 100 miles. We,ve travelled that route in January and March. Just need to make sure you have a window of good weather. Safe travels!

Poppo

Welcome to SC!

Where in SC are you going? I have traveled from SC up 95 thru Maine a few times.

There are MANY toll booths in NY, NJ area, but that is the quickest route to SC. I also agree with Poppo's post that 81 thru Pa. and down to Charlotte is a more pleasant drive. Taking 81 will bring you into the western part of SC and 95 will bring you closer to the coast and eastern side of SC.

We live in the upstate of SC and will be going down to Charleston for Thanksgiving. Safe Travels!

Andy

Welcome to RVing! One thing to remember is that you will learn along the way. We travel annually in and out of the NE annually but always prefer the 84 out to 81 route with a larger RV. There are many ways to go and many things to see, just depends on your likes and a little bit on the weather.

But with that being said, if you are truly interested in City sights then a ride down the coast can be worth it. DC has a great park "Cherry Hill" where you can either get the metro or buses near or at the Campground to go into and around DC to visit it all.

There is the Bay Bridge & Tunnel drive (there are tolls) but it's an experience in and out of VA & DE.

Then on the other side taking 81 south - you can easily get on the Sky Line Drive and visit Shenandoah NP or part of the Blue Ridge Parkway (just need to make sure your height of your RV is able to go through the tunnels) just need to do some advance research and make some calls. These drives are very relaxing 35-45 mph speed limits, great sights but you can't be in a hurry to get where your going. There are stops, walks and hikes along the way. Or make a stop in and around the "Dutch Country" of Lancaster PA.

Otherwise when you get to SC don't miss a stop in the North Myrtle Beach area (plenty to do and see) and in the Historic area of Charleston.

Hope this is a start to get you out there and enjoying. We have had warm and cold (snow) weather so it's important to watch the weather as you travel.... but all has been a fun experience, even the challenges that have happened.

Enjoy!

Deb

I agree with Poppo. I avoid the 95 corridor like the plague. Just, Nov 1st returned from Kittery Maine and did 84 and 81 and 77. A beautiful ride and plenty of places to stay.

Have a safe trip Enjoy the scenery

Fank

In the 70's, 80's and early 90's we took our travel trailer down the 95. When we got our C class last year I was somewhat afraid of driving around the beltways in Baltimore and DC especially with a car in tow. So we left our home in Rockland County NY and took the 78 out to the 81 and then down the 77 into the 26. Yes, it is more scenic but at that the time that we last December, West Virginia was working on their portion of the 81 and there were no shoulders. Frankly it was terrifying when the 18 wheelers came thundering by and pushing us off to the right. Also one should be aware that that route is probably the longest mountainous stretch on the east coast. It also took us a lot more time than going straight down the 95. By the time that we were heading home I realized that I would probably be in the right hand lane 95% of the time and that the beltways would not be a problem. Since then I have navigated them a number of times without incident. Unless you want to stop and explore the beautiful Shenadoahs, I would stick with the 95.

Ditto on Cherry Hill Park in College Park Maryland. Really nice park which is open all year round. I make it my business to stop there on my way home in order to winterize.

If you do decide to take the western route, check out the weather carefully. The area is subject to ice storms and fog especially around Fancy Gap.

In any event--enjoy!!!

Jim