Sign in to follow this  
usbears

Heat Strips

Has anyone ever used heat strips? We currently only have propane heat and a little tower heater. But looking at getting heat strips added to our AC's. Do they work? Are they a worth while investment.

Thanks,

usbears,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Read the wattage-- most are 1200-1500 watt. About the same as a space heater. But they move a lot of air and that air is exposed to outside temperatures as it moves up through the A/C upper unit. So, your space heater of the same wattage will actually give you not only more heat, but because of the fan the space heater will likely feel a lot warmer.

Brett

Also, the space heater(s) are on the floor where the coolest temperature is located. The heat strips add the heat at the ceiling and does little to warm the floor. We do not have heat strips, but do have heat pumps which are in the ceiling and efficient down to about 40 degrees outside temperature. To minimize LP gas usage we set the rear heat pump to about 74 degrees and the front furnace to 72 and have a 1,100/1,500 watt cube heater in the front of the coach. The front furnace doesn't cycle often if ever. We have traveled in outside night temps of 11 degrees using two 1,100/1,500 watt heaters running at full 1,500 watts all night and both furnaces on but cycling. Heat pumps are useless at that low of a temperature.

I would buy a couple of cube 1,100/1,500 watt heaters with tip over safety vs. heat strips. It is easier to find replacement cube heaters than it is to find heat strip replacements.

I have heat pumps on the roof with heat strips in them, which change to heat strips at 40 degrees. I also have an infrared cool touch 1500 watt maximum heater. The kind that Bob Villa used to advertise. The infrared heater was the best investment so far. I have been in 11 degree weather with this arrangement, and never had to call on propane.

Kay

I put heat strips on my first MH roof A/C system. Did not have a HP than.

What a waste of $$$. As Wolfe said. space heater does a much better job.

I have Carrier roof a/cs with heat strips. Was just in Vegas and they worked great. Got down to the high 30s and the coach was 72. They are a little noisy. They have ducts that face down.

I have been using Mr Heater hooked directly to the gas range via a five foot hose for six years, can't live without it now and neither can the weenie dogs. We only use a slight ventilation and for safety added two carbon monoxide detectors and they have never alarmed. Hardly ever use the two factory propane heaters and we dry camp a lot.