DougC

Alaska Caravans

Question

We thinking about doing a Alaska Caravan trip during the summer of 2014.... there are a number of websites to look at... anyone had good or bad experiences with caravans?

11 answers to this question

We also did the 60 day Alaska tour with Fantasy Tours - great value and a wonderful and safe way to view Alaska and western Canada - no regrets whatsoever !! Contact me for more info --

I do not recommend Fantasy Tours. See my post "Selecting Alaska Caravan". If you want a good safe tour provider “ALASKAN DISCOVERY RV TOURS” they have reliable communication with Satellite Phones, provide their own internet connection, help you prepare coach and toad to minimize damage which will occur, and everything is a la carte so you don't pay if you don't want to participate or can't participate due to breakdown or illness which happen with us on the Fantasy 2013 tour.

"I do not recommend Fantasy Tours. ..."

Well, I see you haven't missed a thread yet in your continual flaming of Fantasy Tours and accusations of others that have positive things to say about FT.

However, you seem to be pretty much a lone critical voice which, in itself, is a positive endorsement of FT. Why not give it a rest? Some of would like to read unbiased reviews. Just sayin' .....

We have been on 2 Fantasy Tours.  The 1st was excellent,  the 2nd was a bust.  The 2nd tour had a very poor Wagonmaster and Fantasy failed miserably in getting reservations.  I have a 45' bus conversion and was assigned a tent camping spot.  It took us 45 minutes to park and several thousand in paint damage.  Another tour member was also assigned a tent spot ans it took him 30 minutes to get parked.  His wife said she had never seen him so upset and have so many problems getting parked.

2 hours ago, augerdogger said:

We have been on 2 Fantasy Tours.  The 1st was excellent,  the 2nd was a bust.  The 2nd tour had a very poor Wagonmaster and Fantasy failed miserably in getting reservations.  I have a 45' bus conversion and was assigned a tent camping spot.  It took us 45 minutes to park and several thousand in paint damage.  Another tour member was also assigned a tent spot ans it took him 30 minutes to get parked.  His wife said she had never seen him so upset and have so many problems getting parked.

If you know the spot is to small why did you park there and damage your coach?

Bill

I prefer to do Alaska by myself, I don't need someone telling me where to park.  I did Alaska for 2 months in 2001 and did just fine.

I have driven the Alcan three times, starting in the mid 1970's when there was a road sign "next pavement 1,580 miles".

I view the decision to "do it on your own" vs caravaning more as a question of whether you are comfortable traveling outside your normal comfort zone on your own or would prefer (and willing to pay for) someone else to do the planning.

No rights/wrongs, just different.

On 10/4/2017 at 11:38 AM, augerdogger said:

Did you by chance purchase trip insurance in advance? I am trying to determine if we should bear that additional expense given other resources available for much of which insurance covers (e.g. our own medical insurance, Fantasy's own refund policy, etc.)  Do you have any other tips we should consider for the trip? We are going on the Ultimate Alaska tour this summer. Thank you in advance.