AllegroJohn

Amazing Experience TRYING to Get RV Insurance

We just purchased a new Allegro Bus and looked at our options for RV insurance. When we notified our current insurance company, GEICO, they wanted, for a similar policy, about $600/year more than what we had been paying...BUT they would only insure us if the deductible was INCREASED from $1000 to $10,000. We have excellent driving records and no accidents, but within the past six months had a claim for vandalism while the motorhome was in storage. That's a ten-fold increase in the deductible!!! The vandalism was covered by our comprehensive clause, and we've since moved to a more secure storage location. (The original storage, although, was in a secured facility. Kids shot the MH with a pellet gun through the chain-link fence.)

Wanting to get alternate quotes, we called the FMCA endorsed provider, GMAC. The agent was very pleasant and took all the information, and even solicited insuring both our cars at the same time. He told us that if we agreed to insure both cars, he could approve the policy immediately, but without the cars, it would take an underwriter review that would take 24 hours. We agreed to include both cars, and gave him all the necessary information, only to hear that when he submitted the application, the "system" told him we would need an underwriter review. (misrepresentation #1) He agreed to call us by mid-day the next day. We are on the road traveling until the end of the month.

No call. We followed up and left two messages, finally calling the main number for GMAC to try to get a response. After 24 hours, the agent finally called back, telling us that for some reason, the underwriting group hadn't gotten back to him yet. He seemed very surprised, but assured us we would have the review within the next 24 hours (misrepresentation #2)

Another day passes without any word. Finally, on the third day, the agent called again and assured us they would soon review the policy, and lots of excuses about workload, lack of the agent getting return calls from underwriters, etc. In the last call, two days ago, he assured us he'd keep working on it, but recommended we renew our existing policy so we would have continued insurance coverage!!! (Recommending we continue to deal with a competitor!) Now, at the end of another business day, no further word from GMAC. This is really amazing to us for a company that carries the FMCA endorsement.

Again, we have excellent driving records and the only claim of any substance in all our years of RV ownership has been this vandalism. I think GMAC is simply trying to ignore us and hope we'll go away. This is NOT the kind of service I'd expect for the company that carries FMCA's endorsement, to say the least.

If we do not get a response from GMAC by the time we get home, we're filing a complaint with our state insurance commission. I think an applicant, especially one who has the FMCA membership as a reference, deserves a business-like response.

The new motorhome cost about $300K. GEICO and GMAC both told us that since it is a "high value" unit, they require special premiums and reviews before approval. I can understand that if we bought a million dollar high=end unit, but one that cost $300K?

I had no problem insuring mine through my regular insurance company with $1,000 deductible. That is with American Family Insurance and the premium isn't too high. Of course mine is worth 1/3 of your new one. If I was you I would try other insurance companies as some specialize in RV insurance.

I signed up for Progressive as well. I've had USAA for over 30 years and know they will not endorse another insurance company if they think they won't stand behind their product. I included windshield coverage and am currently in the process of filing a windshield claim. For USAA members,if you call the USAA claims, they switch you over to a USAA employee that brokers your claim with Progressive. Service is great!

I've been using USAA since I came back from VN in the late 60s. As stated, the service is excellent. My problem with Progressive is their CEO.

Ours is through Progressive (because USAA will not insure RVs). Best rates that I could find, and service folks are very nice to talk to.

I have a 33ft. Safari Simba gas and has been insured by USAA for several years. They also allow me to put it in the storage mode to save when I'm not using it.

There is a dollar limit for USAA as to whether or not they will insure RVs and boats. I've had some of each they would insure (5th wheel) and would not insure (currrent MH).

X3 on The Hartford. I've had hail claims on both the cars and the house in the last 2 years and The Hartford was very fair. I just added the motorhome with The Hartford as Progressive wanted yet another very substantial increase and I finally said enough is enough. In shopping the MH I found Progressive had become much higher than FMCA, Good Sam, and The Hartford through AARP. So, maybe Geico has done you a favor by getting you to shop around. Hope it works to your advantage.

If we do not get a response from GMAC by the time we get home, we're filing a complaint with our state insurance commission. I think an applicant, especially one who has the FMCA membership as a reference, deserves a business-like response.

The new motorhome cost about $300K. GEICO and GMAC both told us that since it is a "high value" unit, they require special premiums and reviews before approval. I can understand that if we bought a million dollar high=end unit, but one that cost $300K?

Are you saying that you are going to file a compalaint with the State Insurance Commission because you did not get a return phone call? No one, especially the State Insurance Commission would care what club you belong to be it FMCA or the ELKS (same type of club).

If someone does not want to do business with you, why would you pursue them to force them to do so. The way to send the message is to NOT do business with these companies. CALL SOMEONE ELSE!

Progressive is a good start as are some of the others listed above. You may also want to call National Insurance for a quote as well.

Edit: I wrote another name other than National in this post but that was not what I meant. I have corrected it.

I did a lot of searching and National Interstate offers best coverage for the price and they have many different options. I feel that an RV should have insurance from an RV insurance company.

Good Luck