Dapperdan

Fort Myers, Fl To Stamford , CT

Question

We are in the planning stages of taking our RV(40ft) up to Ct. for a wedding next September. We are looking at taking 2 to 3 days to get there & same coming back. We want to bypass as many tolls & traffic as possible. Would appreciate recommendations for routes & good stopping points along the way. Also, any ideas on where to stay around Stamford. I know there is a place up in Mystic but that is about an hour north of Stamford. Thanks for taking the time.

Dan

1 answer to this question

If you want no tolls and a easy drive 95 up to 77 through SC and NC to 81north to 84 East into CT. This is longer and a lot of large hills it is a much easier drive than 95 to CT. I prefer the longer route. In the Stamford area the only campground I know of is Hammonasett state park in Madison. It is right off 95 so to get to Stamford is 1/2 hour on 95. It is mostly dry camping with water and showers available. One section has water and elec but you will need to make a reservation now if you want a weekend next Sept. There are sites after Labor day that are walkin but no hookups. Lots of good eats and shops in Madison, Clinton area. We are in "Hammo" Sept to columbus day. Riverdale is a private campground in Madison also it is a lot of seasonal and not high on my list of good campgrounds. It is on a narrow winding back rd 40fters go there but is a tight go. There may be others that can give you a better route. If you need more info on the area let me know, hope this helps.

Skip