Sign in to follow this  
turbine52

Flat Towing 2014 GMC Sierra

Just found out that my new 2014 Sierra Z71 can only be towed by leaving the key turned to auxiliary and disconnecting the negative battery connection. With the new electric steering the battery must be disconnected. Really disappointed to found this out after asking the dealership about towing concerns.

Just found out that my new 2014 Sierra Z71 can only be towed by leaving the key turned to auxiliary and disconnecting the negative battery connection. With the new electric steering the battery must be disconnected. Really disappointed to found this out after asking the dealership about towing concerns.

That's an extremely easy thing to do but,why does it have to be left in accessory?? Does the steering lock if not? I ran a charge wire to my unit because I had to leave the acc on to unlock the steering wheel.

I use a "toad charge" system to keep my toad battery charged. Fairly easy install if you are mechanically inclined.

turbine52,

Welcome to the Forum. Are you sure you have a steering wheel lock? My 2008 Silverado does not. I have a Drive Shaft Disconnect and when I tow I do my hook up to the tow bar back the truck up, put the truck in neutral, pull the disconnect to disengage it and take a look at the speedo to see if it starts to indicate speed, if so I kill the engine put the truck in park, close the door and lock the truck. I have an M & G braking unit which requires no electrical power at all. Tows fine and never a dead battery.

If you do indeed have a steering wheel lock you can take it to a shop and have them remove the locking pin.

Herman

turbine52,

Welcome to the Forum. Are you sure you have a steering wheel lock? My 2008 Silverado does not. I have a Drive Shaft Disconnect and when I tow I do my hook up to the tow bar back the truck up, put the truck in neutral, pull the disconnect to disengage it and take a look at the speedo to see if it starts to indicate speed, if so I kill the engine put the truck in park, close the door and lock the truck. I have an M & G braking unit which requires no electrical power at all. Tows fine and never a dead battery.

If you do indeed have a steering wheel lock you can take it to a shop and have them remove the locking pin.

Herman

OP is talking 2014 with electric steering and he is also talking 4x4 so not sure why you mentioned drive shaft disconnect? No one is going to taking apart a brand new steering assembly to remove a steering lock.Until the OP replies we don't know why he is worried about the battery because its a 10 minute job to run a charge wire.

I will assume he has steering lock or there would be no reason to leave key on acc.Now I have 2008 Silverado 4x4 and it does not have a acc position so this is something new.

I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with the Z71 option as well.

However, I did a little research prior to my purchase and found the attached service bulletin which addresses the dinghy tow ability of this new model truck. This bulletin was found on the GMC truck website under the customer service tab. I also had my dealer service department do some research for me as well and they generated a option build sheet for my truck and a newer version of the service bulletin for me.

You are correct the battery must be disconnected and the keys must remain in the ignition accessory mode before you can flat tow this vehicle.

It was much easier process with my 2007 GMC Canyon 4x4 Z71 truck just put in neutral and go!2014 GMC Dinghy Towing Service Bulletin.pdf

If you disconnect the battery, why would have run a charge wire? If the Battery is disconnected, it cannot use any current. I am looking at a Smart for two, the company rep., told me that the reason for the battery disconnect is simply an assurance that the switch cant possibly become set as to allow the computer onboard to become active. The occurrence if that happens will be detrimental to the drive train.

Just wondering!!!!!!!

Kay

If you disconnect the battery, why would have run a charge wire? If the Battery is disconnected, it cannot use any current. I am looking at a Smart for two, the company rep., told me that the reason for the battery disconnect is simply an assurance that the switch cant possibly become set as to allow the computer onboard to become active. The occurrence if that happens will be detrimental to the drive train.

Just wondering!!!!!!!

Kay

NORMALLY on previous years If you left the key in the run position for some unknown reason it has NO bearing at all on the drive train. It may record mileage.The reason of the charge wire is rather evident if one understands the situation. Battery left connected requires no ECM relearn or resetting of radio stations,clocks etc.

However there are some excerpts from the bulletin that will need some clarification. Now that I read the bulletin it almost seems there is maybe a electric activated column? or electronic steer lock or?

1)Depower the vehicle by removing the negative cable at the battery.

This procedure must be followed or the steering column could be damaged.

2)If power is provided by accidental contact of the cable and terminals, damage to the towed vehicle may result, which would not be covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I went and did quick crash course on a 2014 GM pickup 4x4 and I think GM just decided there was just too many electronics that are battery powered and too many things that may or may not be effected towing with key on etc so they decided the best idea was to simply kill the power

Excuse me tcat900, ask the Mercedes factory rep, not me. I was only quoting what I was told. Also if the battery is disconnected, there is no current being used, therefore no recharge required for the rather short periods that it remains disconnected. The factory has a reason for suggesting the battery be disconnected, therefore the question should be asked of them.

Sorry that some of us are not quite as smart as you.

Kay

Excuse me tcat900, ask the Mercedes factory rep, not me. I was only quoting what I was told. Also if the battery is disconnected, there is no current being used, therefore no recharge required for the rather short periods that it remains disconnected. The factory has a reason for suggesting the battery be disconnected, therefore the question should be asked of them.

Sorry that some of us are not quite as smart as you.

Kay

The OP was talking 2014 GM truck. Did not realize you talking about German cars.? there are no connections so why post? Neither one has absolutely any co- relation.

Some people tow for hours on end which results in dead batteries.Happens all the time that's why we use charge wires plus its inconvenient to have to manually unlock door, open hood, hook up battery ,reset clock etc etc etc but I have no knowledge of German cars and the OP was asking about GM 4x4? As said two entirely different vehicles and manufacturers.

I recently bought a 2014 Chevy Silverado 4x4 too and was told by the dealer that you could flat tow the vehicle like my 2005 GMC Canyon 4x4. There are no directions in the owners manual, it actually refers you to the dealer to get the instructions. It is not until then that you find out about disconnecting the battery.

Though I had been asking the dealer, they never got it to me until the day of hooking the truck to the new RV. So low and behold you can't tow.

The issue I have, unless someone knows another way, Brake Buddies and other systems require power to power the systems. So now I need to get a dedicated, hard wired to the battery 12vdc to plug the Brake Buddy into. Also when you disconnect the battery you loose all your presets as if you had drained or replaced your battery.

GM should have designed in a disconnect to remove power from the electric steering for flat towing even if an option. For those of us who own the new GM vehicles with electric steering lets hope the research and testing is solid cause the repair cost is $3000 once out of warranty.

Regards.

OK, here is the latest information directly from GM and the easiest way to accomplish a 4 wheel tow behind a motor home or other vehicle with a 2014 / 2015 1500 4x4 truck.

1- connect to tow vehicle

2- turn ignition key to accessory

3- shift transmission to netural

4- disconnect negative battery cable ***

5- leave transmission in neutral and key in ignition in accessory position

6- lock all doors manually

7- go down the road!

***The easist way to make this step simple, is to install a $16.00 RV battery disconnect box to the negative cable. There are a number of diiferent types available and the one I used has a large red plastic key that is removed when the disconnect mode is used. I had my dealer install the box as a condition of sale and to back up the warranty process. We double checked the procedure prior to signing the final papers. Simple!

This complete procedure takes only a few minutes and there are NO speed limits associated with this type of towing!

Very dissatisfied with my new 2014 Chevy Silverado, dealer told me that it was the same procedure to flat tow as my 2013 that I traded in.

Nothing in the owners manual about having to disconnect the battery every time that I tow. Would not have traded for this truck if the procedure would have been in the owners manual. I do not want to leave a key in the truck, just asking for a window to be broken. Was ready to travel to next campground before I discovered that the steering locked and the vehicle could not be towed, Called on-star. They could not tell me what to do, transfered to GM customer care center, and then to selling dealer. No one could tell me how to flat tow. Wife had to drive the truck 3 hours to next campground.

Went to local dealer in Ravenel, SC, took some time but they found a Service Bulletin that told how to flat tow. Bulletin was dated June 2013. Should have been in owners manual, Looks like GM did not put this procedure in the owners manual on purpose. Very bad Customer service from GM Customer Care Service.

I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with the Z71 option as well.

However, I did a little research prior to my purchase and found the attached service bulletin which addresses the dinghy tow ability of this new model truck. This bulletin was found on the GMC truck website under the customer service tab. I also had my dealer service department do some research for me as well and they generated a option build sheet for my truck and a newer version of the service bulletin for me.

You are correct the battery must be disconnected and the keys must remain in the ignition accessory mode before you can flat tow this vehicle.

It was much easier process with my 2007 GMC Canyon 4x4 Z71 truck just put in neutral and go![attachment=849:2014 GMC Dinghy Towing Service Bulletin.

I too am disappointed but I knew there was a change in the system in 2014 prior to my purchase.

Pricer,

I just bought a 2014 GMC 4x4 Sierra Dbl Cab w/ Z71 option and would like to tow using a tow dolly, do you know if this can be done ??