jerry_keller

Hughes Autoformer Model RV450

I'm interested in the new Hughes RV450 but am having problems getting info on the unit. I've been to their website but only see a photo or two and a cursory list of new features. The manual on the website is for the older model. I'd like to get the new manual.

I left a voicemail requesting information, but have not received a return call yet.

I see it's heavier and costs more than the old unit. It's hard to find at the retailers on the Internet.

I am wondering if they've added under voltage and over voltage shutdown. Meaning, that the unit shuts down and doesn't bypass when the voltage is really low or really high. The manual for the older model says it goes into bypass mode, which is not what I would like to happen.

Thanks - inquiring minds want to know.

If the company, local dealer or mobile dealer won't answer your requests, what makes you think they will honor a warrantee if their is a problem. :rolleyes:

I just talked to one of the engineers at Hughes Autoformer. The reason for no new manual is you just plug it in and it works. He did provide a discription of the taps on the transformer and this RV450 has 4 taps and the old one has 1, or something like that.

But the part I was interested in is this: the RV450 will boost down to 90 volts; it will try and give you 105 at that low voltage. Below 90 volts input and it would not behave reliabily (this is my interpretation of his words). Above a voltage like 118 volts (I think this is what he said) the box will pretty much turn into a pass through. 150 volts in is 150 volts out.

I guess I would prefer a box that would just shut off the electricity if the volts went too low or too high. Just my thinking.

Guest Wayne77590

Look at the Progessive Industries PT-50C - in line or portable.

This is the one I purchased from RVUpgrades.com

The HW-50C is the hard wired one.

Guest Wayne77590

Jerry,

There is a big difference in what the Hughes and the Progressive Industries protect against. As stated the Hughes will not kick off on over or under voltages, but it will boost a 95v input on up to an acceptable level. The Progressive Industries will not boost voltage but does provide the low and high voltage cut-off. As the voltage drops. current increases (typically) so I went with the cut-off feature and can damage motors and other items.

I know, decisions, decisions. Just like on where to go next.

Wayne,

Thanks for your advice. I know that the Hughes is a voltage booster and the Progressive is a surge protector with high and low voltage shut down.

I actually have a Frank's autoformer that went out on me last weekend. I was trying to decide if I should buy a Hughes or get the Frank's fixed. If the new Hughes autoformers have a high and low voltage shutdown, then I would seriously consider buying one; they don't. (I was being miffed that the Frank's had gone out.)

My Frank's autoformer does have a high and low voltage shutdown feature built in. That's one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. I did take it out to Frank's yesterday afternoon. A relay on the circuit board had gone out. After Frank replaced the circuit board, he showed me how the low and high voltage shut downs worked on his work bench. Definitely shuts down. Oh, well. It's fixed, and I'll end up using it next weekend at the same campground that it went out on me last weekend. Frank was very friendly and very talkative.

:rolleyes:

Guest Wayne77590

Happy to hear it is fixed. It's a lot easier, most times, on the pocket book then replacement. It's really hard when it did everything you wanted and you can't find a replacement.

Hmmm! Going back to the same place that it went out. Not sure about that.