snybe

Front Overhead Cabinet Is Falling Down

The front overhead cabinet is falling down in our 2011 Fleetwood Discovery 40G motorhome starting on the right hand corner above the entry door.

There was a 32" flatscreen TV installed when we bought the RV, but I removed it and converted the space into shelves, which are much lighter.

We noticed the overhead separating from the ceiling a few months before I removed the TV. Now there is a good inch gap between the ceiling and overhead.

I got the schematic from Fleetwood for the overhead, but it really does not show much.

I just want to know if anyone else had dealt with this and can give some pointers before I dive into fixing it.

I have attached a photo so you can have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Don Lively

post-19871-0-11855600-1385078903_thumb.j

The most common cause of the drop is the screws fastening the cabinets to the ceiling pull out of the wood roof trusses for lack of a better term.

I did have to reattach one of mine by inserting a small wooden dowel into the holes with some wood glue. Let it dry, then drilled a hole into the repaired area equal to the length of the screws. Allowing for the thickness of the material thickness in the cabinet frame.

One does not want to drill a hole through the roof !!!!

Rich.

Don,

You should have more then one screw holding your cabinet up. Using the same size and length screw move over a inch and install the new screw. Be sure and push the cabinet up before trying to tighten the screw. You could also add another screw from the front cabinet to the cabinet to the right after you secure it to the ceiling.

Herman

Thanks for the feedback on my problem from everyone.

I plan on working on it this weekend, so we will see how it goes.

Don

Did you ever fix this?  We have the same problem in a Fleetwood 2015 Expedition and we cannot find where the screw is that holds the darn thing up.  If you could suggest a fix, I'd appreciate it or tell us what is holding it up.  I have to drive tomorrow and it's hanging down over an inch now and I'm worried about it coming down while I'm driving. 

For general inforamtion re loose wood screws: the toothpick trick.  Insert a round toothpick into the hole, break it off flush, and reinstall the screw.  Except with very large screws, one toothpick will do the trick.  Have no idea if this will apply to the sagging cabinet, with which significant weight and straight-out pull is involved, but works great for cabinet doors, etc.