Sign in to follow this  
murmanone

Electric Brake Cable For Trailer

Hi,

I have a 95' Safari Sable and I am preparing to install a 7 spade trailer connector to the RV. I have a 6 pin connector that was used to tow a toad so there wasn't a need for electric brake or 12vdc.

I am asking if anyone knows if there is a brake wire in the harness or possibly terminated in the engine compartment. I would think that this phantom wire would be 10ga. to accommodate the 40' or so length.

Thanks in advance.

The Sable was a rare beast-- very few made, so not sure anyone here on the Forum can help.

I would suggest you call Monaco and ask to speak with one of the old hands who came over from Safari. It is possible that they have a wiring schematic for your coach: 877-466-6226. Have your VIN handy.

New guy here, so excuse me if it seems I'm jumping in. Highly unlikely the wire for a brake controller is pre-existing in anything older than a 2000 model - my experience is that you'll have to run a wire down the chassis to connect the controller to the connector. Just bought the 85 Coachmen in my avi, waiting on the weather to cooperate so I can get MY trailer tow wiring done so we can safely tow our race car this spring......

I doubt a motorhome that old had a factory electric brake wire.on A SIDE NOTE 6 pole will work for electric brakes AND 12v CHARGE

although 7 pole is easier to work with and if you want BU lights then 7 pole is a must.