Sign in to follow this  
johntelling

Pacbrake PRXB

I am considering upgrading the Pacbrake on my 2005 Fleetwood Excursion Cat 350 C7.

Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for the PRXB, including installation?

Is it worth the expenditure?

Thanks!

JT

We have the PRXB on our Caterpillar 3126 and do recommend it. It is exactly as advertised-- 30% stronger at lower RPM-- the same at high end RPM. What it does is allow full backpressure at a much lower RPM.

No idea of current cost of the brake. Installation if you already have a PacBrake should not be that much, IF (big if) there is access to the driver's side of your engine room where the exhaust brake is located. My suggestion would be to access that area and take pictures before asking for labor bids, as I have seen applications where the mechanic spent hours just removing one bolt and others where he could sit on the valve cover and do the whole job in an hour.

I upgraded the PacBrake on my Cummins 8.3 and, as Brett said, it is much more effective. We had lots of room and easy access for the installation. Labor time was about 3 hours if I remember correctly.

I also up graded our ISC 350 and it is a simple installation on our coach, I installed it in probably no more than a hr.

A friend bought one from Pac Brake at the Perry FMCA Rally a few yrs back and they installed it for him at the Rally at no cost on a 94 Dynasty 8.3.

Installation time is virtually the same for any engine-- it is access to the turbo/exhaust brake area that determines now difficult the installation will be.

Took me about 45 minutes on our coach, but I had full engine access (fore/aft queen bed that raises).

Thanks, all, for the information. One other question - since the Pacbrake work together with the transmission, will any reprogramming be required after the install of the PRXB?

Thanks,

JT

Thanks, all, for the information. One other question - since the Pacbrake work together with the transmission, will any reprogramming be required after the install of the PRXB?

Thanks,

JT

No.

I was going to get the PRXB in Quartzsite next month but when I checked the Pacbrake for the serial number I found it was seized, the flange on the exhaust pipe was cracked and the clamps have to be replaced. :angry: I sure am glad I didn't wait, much easier to get a new flange welded on at home. I bead blasted the exhaust pipe and coated it with exhaust and manifold paint. As Brett said, it is a very easy install if you have access.

Hypoxia,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Good that you where able to get things replaced, repaired, painted and installed while on home turf.

Also, a good testimony for checking and looking things over before hitting the road!

Rich.

I up graded and love my PRXB as it hold at lower RPMs.

I have a super C with a 3126 Cat and it was easy.

I always felt the exhaust brake was weaker than I would expect it to be on my coach. I would exchanged it but I worry about my extended service plan if not factory installed unit.

I always felt the exhaust brake was weaker than I would expect it to be on my coach. I would exchanged it but I worry about my extended service plan if not factory installed unit.

You can check the back pressure (which generates the braking HP)-- at least on the PacBrake, there is a port on the side to accomplish this.

Obviously, any exhaust leak between head and exhaust manifold, manifold itself or manifold and exhaust brake will not allow full PSI to build.

And, as already posted, the PRXB PacBrake generates more braking HP at lower RPM's-- the same at higher RPM's. But, not having to go to high RPM makes the brake a lot more pleasant to use.

I know that I don't have an exhaust leak for one of the first thing I check since I have a Cummins in it. I'm also lucky to have a two piece manifold so less likely to crack in the future. It's not really bad once I slow it down a bit it seems to hold well unless grade is very steep but I'm always up for an upgrade is needed. I need to check to see what unit is in it.

OK I check the website at PacBrake and what I have on my coach. I have older style PacBrake serial 008073 on the coach so this confirms my belief that it was weak because only effective at high RPMs There is 4 different replacement PRXB for ISC engine. If I order one I would like to get the correct one the first time. The serial number didn't help with web search.