Sign in to follow this  
marjui13

Buying Tires in NW Pennsylvania

Just joined in the last month after purchasing our 1st MH. While our tires appear in good shape G670's.

I understand that the age of them (5 years) we should consider replacement.

I am intrigued with the FMCA tire program.

We live in NW PA up near Erie, PA and wonder if anyone else in the general area has purchased tires through this program and if so what dealer did they use and/or recommend that participated in this.

Thank you in advance for your help

Mark Anderson - F436358

Hello Mark, I tried to purchase tires from an Erie PA dealer-Valley Tire on Weschler Ave about 3 years ago. I called a few weeks ahead and said we would be in the area and would they have our size Michelins and could I arrange to have mine replaced and balanced? I also specified the tires had to be under 6 months since manufacture. They said no problem, they had the tires, the age was good, and they could balance them. The price was reasonable and we decided to go and have them installed while on our trip. I called to confirm the date etc about 3 days(a friday) before we were to get there and they were still good to go. When I arrived they announced their balancer was broken and when I insisted on seeing the tires before we started they were not amused. I finally got to look at the tires and they were between 16 and 19 months old. I took my business elsewhere.

You can surmise whatever you want to think about their business, but when I'm going to spend a few thousand dollars I would like to get what was agreed upon.

By the way 5 years is a little bit early to change your tires out unless you have problems with them....most of the posts I see say 7 ish. If they are kept inflated properly, keep them covered for the most part and ensure they are on an appropriate surface during longer static periods, plywood etc, you can go longer with them. There are many excellent posts here at FMCA about tires. Some very knowledgable people who can give you more info than I can. Through reading here on the FMCA website I have followed some simple guides about tires which included a tire monitoring system and I intend to go 7 years at least. Of course I'm only putting around 5000 miles a year on them at present. When we retire I hope to up that considerably!

Anyway Good Luck, hope this helps.

I tend to think five years is a bit early, too...as long as they show no signs of aging, such as cracks. Of course the majority of RV tires will die of old age long before we run the tread off them.

Rather than speculate on "how old is too old" based on how WE care for OUR tires, we really have to know how they were cared for ON YOUR COACH during their life.

Clearly the following help determine the safe and useful like of an RV tire:

Tire inflation always above minimum speced by the tire manufacturer for actual weight.

Driven frequently (better) or parked for months at a time?

Stored indoors, under cover or outdoors?

When stored outdoors, are the tires covered?

I have seen 5 year old tires I would not drive across town on and seen some years older than that that were still in good condition.

Thanks for all the good posts. The tires on the unit appear to be in good shape without any noticeable cracking of the sidewalls

and tread is still very good. As this is the first MH we have ever owned I am quite a novice at many things but learning fast.

We are not full-timers but use it as much as possible. The unit had very low miles on it (2008 w/ 13,000 miles) we have put 3000+

miles on it in about 1.5 months as I took my wife and dogder and golden-doodle with me as I did field service at several customers instead of staying alone in motels.

Back to the tires mine presently are the G670's 275/75/R22.5.

I haven't looked at the Michelins yet but hope I can get tires for the rear that have a better tread pattern for traction.

I realize this isn't an Off-Road vehicle but it's helpless in wet grass.

The tires are pressured up and hold pressure well.

Mark F436358

Mark,

When you say the tires are "pressured up", are they inflated to Goodyear's recommendation for your actual coach weights? That may be well under the PSI to carry the maximum load, which is what is stamped on the sidewall.

And, if they are way over-inflated, that would certainly reduce traction.

Wolfe,

Being very new I am going by the pressure settings that are on the interior wall behind the driver's seat. The recommended

pressure ratings are on the same plate as the VIN #, etc of the coach. I have been trying to read as many posts on various

topics to speed my learning curve. The more I read on tires the more I get confused. Several topics refer to getting all 4 corners

weighted for proper inflation and it sort of makes sense.

The reason I bought the coach was the good condition, layout of interior, price, and low mileage. There wasn't any maintenance logs

on the unit as it was a repo and I figured out later everything was factory. We are going to drive from snowy NW PA in January to

go to the Freightliner Chassis service center in Gaffney, SC for a complete service front to rear.

Mark

Mark,

Yes, until you get it weighed (4 wheel position better than just axles, as it is not reasonable to ASSUME perfect left/right weight distribution in an RV) and set tire pressures accordingly, not a bad idea to use the PSI on the GVWR plate. The pressures ASSUMES each axle is loaded to its maximum axle capacity (GAWR).

If your actual weights are well under that, indeed you could be overinflating. But that is preferable to underinflating.

Thanks for the input.

Do you think the Freightliner center in Gaffney would be equipped to perform the 4 corner weighting of the coach and then advise

me in the proper inflation of the tires ?

I am unsure where I would have this done if not at the facility such as that.

I do realize the value of proper settings and want to give us both the most comfortable ride but more importantly keep us as safe as

possible.

While I want to do some repairs and maintenance I will have the initial work done by professionals for peace of mind that all items

should be done as best possible given the fact it will be at the same facility it was originally assembled.