Sign in to follow this  
Dgacioch

Suggestions For First family Trip: Western New York - West

Question

Hello all

I am looking for some help in planning a trip we will take this year across the country to see some of the great parks. Some of the places we are thinking about are Zion, Yellowstone (for Sure), Mount Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Monuments, etc...

I am wondering if anyone has made this trip before, can give me some advice on campground along the way as this will be at a leisurely pace and staying at campgrounds along the way, and any place I can find kind of off the wall attractions like the worlds biggest ball of yarn, etc. # boys are going with us, 11,8, 6. We are in a 45' Marathon and will most likely be towing a car.

3 answers to this question

This should be a great trip. South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana are breathtaking. When passing through Indiana on 80/90 stop at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore The dunes are wonderful on Lake Michigan. Be sure to gas up when you leave if you are taking I90/94 through Chicago or 290. South Dakota has some funky stops like the corn palace and Wall Drug. I did not care for Wall Drug just a bunch of shops selling junk but they do have a campground if you need an overnight stop. Be sure to cruise the Badlands (by car not motorhome). It is unbelievable. Watch for rattlesnakes. Custer State Park is a great park with a lot of buffalo and sparkling mountains. I loved Custer. Rushmore and Crazy horse can be done in a day. The Big Horns and the Crazies are amazing mountains to view as you travel along I90. Big Timber, Mt. is a good overnight stop between Rushmore and Yellowstone. Great campground on the river. I spent 11 days at Yellowstone National Park and it was not enough. I will go back. Don't rush it like so many do. Take in the amazing nature of Yellowstone. Be sure to cruise Lamar Valley an hour or so before dusk. The bison are everywhere. Be careful they are in the road and will come up to your car. Stayed in West Yellowstone. Grizzly Rv Park is 4 blocks from the entrance. Very nice campground. Make reservations NOW for summer. Everything fills quickly for June-Aug in all campgrounds. Town is nice with a wonderful little ice cream shack that sells the most delicious huckleberry ice cream. I took side trips to the majestic Tetons and Jackson Hole. The Tetons are a must. Also, went to Mesa Falls in Idaho. The falls were beautiful and worth the 75 miles. Go to Glacier. I did not but some friends did and now I regret not venturing up there.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh, Rushmore Shadows for was a good campground for the Rushmore area. I just drove back to the Badlands. I did a lot of KOA along the way. Always a safe bet.

There are lots of ways to make this round trip. What routes are you considering? Are you going through Colorado to get to Grand Canyon, or taking far north/south routes? This would make a big difference as far as what sites to recommend.