Bluebirds

GPS NAV System- MH Built-in, Or Portable?

Reading forum discussion on brands of GPS portable NAV, and would like to hear from others whether you use:

A) Only use built-in GPS NAV that was mfr installed on your MH;
B). Don't use/don't like mfr built-in NAV;
C). Only use portable GPS NAV , if so, which brand and model do you like best;
D). Use co-pilot spouse for all NAV , if so, with or without other GPS NAV to compliment info available;
E). Other?

Also, does anyone know which mfr NAV system "built in" is used by Winnebago MH (2012-2014)?

We have a 2013 MH with built-in NAV, co-pilot spouse and Internet map quest or other also used to compare route planning.

Thinking we may want to ADD portable gps NAV - interested to know what others here chose to use for best option to NAV ?

We use the Rand McNally portable 7 inch TND (trucker model, pre wi-fi, pre-rv). It rests above my rear-view camera monitor, secured with velcro. It is below the dash line, out of sight and glare, but easy to see, hear and manipulate. Use it mainly to confirm spouse navigation instructions (she prefers scenic, not shortest or fastest options) but we often agree with its offered alternatives. It moves into our toad and rests, again below the dash on a ledge in front of the radio, which we don't use that often. It is most useful for finding POI's along the route and when in a new location. Also speed limit reduction notices, and speeding warnings.

We use the Garmin model designed for truckers. It came to market before models with features that appeal to RVers. We recently thought of upgrading to either Garmin's new model for the RV market or the one by Rand McNally but decided to hold off for a number of reasons.

My copilot is our navigator. In addition to the GPS she uses the Trucker's Atlas along with a host of smart phone applications and her iPad. We tend to review the route for the day before we start out, noting where we want to stop along the way. Google earth helps us "see" problem areas before we arrive resulting in less reliance of the GPS.

Who uses the GPS the most may be a factor when deciding on an installed model versus portable. The factory model Winnebago offers in some of its new motorhomes is the Rand McNally RV GPS with 10.4" touch screen color monitor.

One of FMCA friends advises that having a copilot navigator and multiple GPS devices results in a lot of conflicts. He chooses to pull off the road and have a cup of coffee until a consensus is reached. Travel safe.

In my opinion a built in electronic devise is not such a good idea because technology advances so rapidly that it becomes obsolete quickly. I prefer a portable gps. Which brand is a matter of preference. I use Rand 7in RV model, and a couple of Magellan units, one in my toad.

In my opinion a built in electronic devise is not such a good idea because technology advances so rapidly that it becomes obsolete quickly. I prefer a portable gps. Which brand is a matter of preference. I use Rand 7in RV model, and a couple of Magellan units, one in my toad.

I second that! I started late with a simple hand-held Garmin e-trexGPS mounted on a gravity/friction mounted stand. I still use that on hikes and on my bicycle. Two years ago I replaced that in the motor home with a Garmin 3450LM with a 4 inch screen. I like it and move it from the car to the motor home as needed. One GPS for both and I know how it works. I don't have to deal with two or more operating systems. That will end this summer, I'm planning to get the new Garmin motor home GPS. It is larger and I believe an adaptation of their truckers GPS. Anyway, I'll take a look at it in a few months and decide. I get lifetime map updates, they are not that expensive and get you the latest road information. If I end up getting this one, that will be the third GPS in 6 years. I can't afford to trade motor homes that fast to keep up with the latest GPS technology. By the way, each generation of these has been better than the last for less money than its predecessor. It isn't as handy as built-in to have something sitting on the dash but updating and replacing is much easier. Maybe someday they will be like car radios, buy any of several dozen kinds and they all snap into the same dash opening. Wouldn't that be revolutionary!

By the way, I still haven't seen the GPS that is perfect so I've learned to keep listening to my copilot and she gets the final word when there is disagreement between them. I've found that works best, the GPS doesn't tell me "I told you so." when I don't follow it!

I started out using both portable and unit installed in our Winn '12. Called Winnebago help desk and they sent me to a website www.Naviextras.com/shop/portal and they will guide through update process. You will download update on a cd/dvd. Open the dvd player inside infotainment unit and insert dvd. Helps to copy down the instructions from the website before beginning as it's easy, but not if you skip a step. It's a large download so make sure your not on limited data or you will see your bill shoot up. And yes, we have seen both gps units disagree a bit. B)