thrushl

Traveler 3005 Died - Got NEW SWM - Worked Three Weeks, Now DEAD!

OK, I was on the road and my Traveler 3005 died. Winegard said "new turent" but recommended I just put in a SWM to get the warranty, etc. So, I ordered one from Amazon (locals did not have either onhand), had it the next day and the local RV shop installed it. I had TV again.

Here is what I bought:

Winegard SK-SWM3 TRAV'LER Gray DIRECTV SWM Slimline Antenna

Brand Winegard

Item Weight75.4 pounds

Product Dimensions46 x 27 x 13.8 inches

Item model numberSK-SWM3

Manufacturer Part NumberSK-SWM3

Well, I had direct TV. BUT the antenna control box in the coach and the cable is the same as before. Doesn't a NEW antenna system for 1,600 dollars come with that? If not, where/how do I buy one if I need one?

Second, my Direct TV boxes do not see it as a SWM.

I'm starting to think I got ripped off here.

Finally, today when I try to raise the antenna it says that the control box in the coach can't find an antenna. Is there a fuse or something? Everything worked great when I stowed it and the coach has not moved.

What do you think I should do? I hate to go all the way back to CA to ***** at them to fix it because I am in Virgina now, but...

Thank you SO much in advance for your advice.

Most Respectfully;
Leo

Reach behind the controller in your coach and unplug the power cord. Now, unplug and replug the control cable with the 6 pins do this twice, in and out. Plug it all together again and push and hold the power button until it says power on.

The antenna should go up.

Once you are up and pointed, let me know and we can go a bit further.

If they did install a new SWM Trav'ler they would also have put in a new controller inside as the 3005 and SWM controller are not the same and not compatible but they look identical.

Well, no joy Bill. I took my time and tried these steps several ways. With delay, without delay, etc.

Is it posible they just put the new turrent and reflector on with the old LNB?

The control box in the coach has certainly not changed as it is still veloco'ed to the little rack I made to hold it to get air around it 360 degress and the dust had not been touched. :-)

Your response makes me more confidant I got screwed. The whole idea of buying the complete antenna was to go to the new technology and get the warrenty. Old parts equals no warrenty and a big wast of 600+ dollars over the cost of just a new turret.

All that said, it will cost me a LOT more than $1,600 to drive a DP back accross the coutry to fight with them.

Boy it sure sounds bad based upon this information. If you can get on the roof you should have 1 single LNB housing (the SWm3 LNB) and it will have a square green label in the bottom right corner. There will also be only one coax that connects to the top of the antenna base. There should be 3 ports on top. One will have a coax cable connected and the other 2 ports will be capped. At the very base of the antenna there should be only 3 outputs available and only one coax leaving the base which must be connected to port C the same port used at the top of the base. The old style Trav'ler would have had 4 connection ports and all ports could have been used. You cannot simply swap out the LNB and convert an old Trav'ler to a new Trav'ler. Instead you add a SWM8 kit to convert the old to the new.

Let me know more.

Boy it sure sounds bad based upon this information. If you can get on the roof you should have 1 single LNB housing (the SWm3 LNB) and it will have a square green label in the bottom right corner. There will also be only one coax that connects to the top of the antenna base. There should be 3 ports on top. One will have a coax cable connected and the other 2 ports will be capped. At the very base of the antenna there should be only 3 outputs available and only one coax leaving the base which must be connected to port C the same port used at the top of the base. The old style Trav'ler would have had 4 connection ports and all ports could have been used. You cannot simply swap out the LNB and convert an old Trav'ler to a new Trav'ler. Instead you add a SWM8 kit to convert the old to the new.

Let me know more.

Well, it's offical - I was HAD!!! No green sticker. three coax and one connection capped. I'm a 100% disabled vet and can't do the roof, so I asked another younger RV'er in the park here who was glad to help me.

While up there he unplugged, checked for clean, clean, and rconnected. Still no joy... I repeated the first procedure you gave me and still no joy.

Are we at the point of paying another $1,600 and trying ANOTHER install? God, I don't have the money for that, but the TV, computer, and Ham radio is about all I have these days.... other than the wife and cats...

If you can get the kid to go back up again, there is a cover plate with 4 screws directly above where the coax connections meet at the roof. Unscrew these and lift the plate and gasket off. Reach inside for the center black control wire and GENTLY pull until you see where there is a quick connect. Disconnect and reconnect this coupler a couple of times as well and if you have some, apply a small dab of di-electric grease in the fitting before final reconnection.

Give it another try.

By the way, I am assuming you are still getting a message that says "No Antenna communication". If you are getting any other message, do not do the above procedure and let me know what error message you are seeing.

If you can get the kid to go back up again, there is a cover plate with 4 screws directly above where the coax connections meet at the roof. Unscrew these and lift the plate and gasket off. Reach inside for the center black control wire and GENTLY pull until you see where there is a quick connect. Disconnect and reconnect this coupler a couple of times as well and if you have some, apply a small dab of di-electric grease in the fitting before final reconnection.

Give it another try.

By the way, I am assuming you are still getting a message that says "No Antenna communication". If you are getting any other message, do not do the above procedure and let me know what error message you are seeing.

Thanks Bill. I will see what I can talk him into tomorrow. Yes, the message remains the same. Thanks again for both your assistance and advice.

Most Respectfully;

Leo

By the way, if you have a receipt that shows you bought an SK-SWM3 you may have some recourse with Amazon if that is not what you received. You could send me some pictures at the e-mail address listed in my profile and I can verify what kind of antenna you have installed. Since you say the inside controller was not changed but did work initially, it would have to be a SK-3005 as the two controllers are not interchangable.

Hi Bill et. al.

Thanks to all of you, I think I have joy tonight and am on my way to correcting my situation. Here is what we think we know:

1. I purchased a SK-SWM3 from Amazon three months ago and had it shipped overnight to the local installer. Got the receipt and everything.
  2. The local guy, nice but not the sharpest knife in the drawer installed the antenna (without me ever seeing it) and everything worked so he was happy. Not knowing any better, I could watch TV, I was happy.
  3. Three months pass and the controller doesn’t talk to the antenna anymore.
  4. Thanks to Bill, I was able to do some troubleshooting to determine that it wasn’t simple.
  5. I lost my climbing campsite buddy so I was a little stuck. Wheelchairs and canes do not go well on RV roofs I’m told.
  6. I saw a regular DIRECTV man driving by and flagged him down, told him my woes, and put my best sad face on while asking for help.
  7. God was with me. He saw my disabled vet license plate, screamed Semper Fi and took off for the roof of the RV. After he got done cursing and mumbling, he informed me that:
    1. I had a SK-3005 NOT a SWM3
    2. He wanted to know what FOOL destroyed such a wonderful antenna with their !@&^#$@$!
    3. He called the man who installed my antenna, explained what he thought of his work as only a Marine can do, and then started getting to the truth.
    4. The installer had never seen a SWM3 before
    5. He did not read the instructions
    6. He threw away all the other parts in the box because my old ones worked.
  8. I called Amazon and started talking to them. Clearly 90 days is outside their 30 return window. Part way through the conversation my DIRECTV man took my phone and in a very direct but professional way explained to the Amazon rep what she would do…
  9. Amazon gave me an on the spot refund for the original antenna even before I return the old one.
  10. Amazon is shipping a NEW SWM3 Priority First Overnight with a promise I will have it by 10am in the morning. They applied the refund to the new antenna so I had none of my money moving and they did not change me for shipping.
  11. My DIRECTV man, John will be here at 10am to install my antenna properly as he put it….and then put the old one in the box and ship it back to Amazon for me.
  12. I was in tears that this man would show an interest in an old dog and his problems…. I tried to pay him for his efforts tonight and he almost slapped me for insulting him. He said that if he doesn’t take care of me that a thousand Devil Dogs would haunt him forever. I did find out that he is a company man and not a contractor so I can’t call and put in a good word for him without taking the risk of getting him in trouble. I will have to let God take care of John!

God bless John, and the United States Marines…

Wow, that's a great story. Thanks so much for sharing and please send my thanks along for you installers service.

You must be a really good guy 'cause those who are get that kindness returned 10 fold.

Good on ya and congratuations on finding such a great guy.

Bill: I try to live right and always do the right thing, but I sure have one heck of a bill to pay now, for sure.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words...

God Bless that GIrine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask him what charity he subscribes to and make an affordable donation to it in his name.

By the way Bill, I have my Install scheduled for the upcoming Friday @ Eric's RV in Sequim, let you know how that turn's out.

Please do! Let them know that if they have any questions they can give me a call. They have my number.

Great idea.

Thanks for the offer Bill. I have my "SWM" up and working great. While the guy was at it, he even installed an A/B switch and an external coax and 12v jack so I can use my Winegard Carryout without running cables through the window.

He mentioned that they were working on gifts for the less fortunate children at his church and if I wanted to do anything, I could help with that. We "adopted" the remaining five that no one wanted and $800.00 later they are going to have a GOOD Christmas. It is the least we could do for someone who is looking out for someone other than themselves. It is so rare in this country it seems.