Sign in to follow this  
dave111451

Pacific Coast Highway Sights

Question

We are going to travel the coast highway from Astoria south thru California.

Will be in Astoria about the 10th of December to start our exploration of the coast.

I know its the wrong time of year but its what I have to work with.

Have bad wore out knees so a lot of hiking is not to be done.

What do we not want to miss?

As we are from North Dakota we want to see some whales, seals ,litehouses,museums,etc.

Plan on taking our time as we have all winter to do this.

Plan is to travel 101 in Oregon and northern California then some on #1 to just north of SF.
Cannot wait to see the giant Redwoods.

Know about twisty roads and I am not a nervous jervis about those.

Thanks to any and all for any info

Dave

4 answers to this question

Dave: welcome to the west coast. The Oregon coast can be beutiful this time of year with the winter storms throwing the Pacific against the coast. The Oregon coast can be somewhat twisty but the lower rte 101/1 in Ca, adds a whole new meaning to "twisty". A few years back wife and I rented a convertible to drive from San Fran to Seattle. About 100 miles into the trip we decided to go inland and get off the "twisty".Plan plenty of time and take it real easy. Have a fun trip.

You will really enjoy that trip. At Astoria you can stay at Ft. Stevens which is great to see and also the Lewis & Clark camp at Ft. Clatsop. Heading south enjoy Seaside and the cheese factory at Tillamook. Then on to Depoe Bay for whale watching, Newport for great seafood, Florence is great and Winchester Bay is a nice RV park. At Coos Bay turn west to stay at the Midway RV park, then enjoy the ride past Charleston to see the seals and beautiful gardens at the end of the road.

South of Eureka turn west and visit Ferndale. Enjoy the redwood highway, but when you get to Legget do NOT turn towards highway #1 but go on south to Willets and turn west to highway #1. It's a much better road. When you get to Jenner turn east along the Russian River and enjoy the wine country. South of San Francisco stay on #101 until you get to San Luis Obispo, then turn west to Morro Bay and see the Hearst Castle at San Simeon. South of Ventura you'll want to see the President Reagan Library/Museum with the Airforce 1 displayed. Have a great trip.

Dave,

Bob does a great job detailing the many sights along your route. I would add one stop especially if you are interested in aviation and more specifically WWII warfare aircraft. About two miles south of Tillamonk there is a flight museum owned by a single individual.

This museum will be leaving its current location in the near future and re-locating to Madras, OR in central Oregon.