Sign in to follow this  
bdawson11

Broken Engine Oil Dip Stick

I'm visiting Oklahoma getting ready to return to California and my dip stick broke off about 4 inches from the end. Am I taking to big a chance on traveling home? To repair it here would be difficult. It's a 2003 Holiday Rambler 300 hp Cummins. Thanks

bdawson,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

In most cases, the dip stick and dip stick tube were chassis maker items, not engine maker. So, check with Monaco Corp using your VIN to find out if a replacement is available and what is involved in removing the old one. Their number is: 877-466-6226.

May be as simple as removing the dip stick tube from the engine and just replacing the seal/gasket to get the old one out.

Be sure to keep the cap on the tube or zip tie a baggie over it to keep dirt out of the engine.

I'm visiting Oklahoma getting ready to return to California and my dip stick broke off about 4 inches from the end. Am I taking to big a chance on traveling home? To repair it here would be difficult. It's a 2003 Holiday Rambler 300 hp Cummins. Thanks

Does it use oil? If not why would you worry? Just keep a eye out for leaks etc. What chassis? If Spartan its a Spartan part etc.

The dipstick and tube are chassis parts. For example on my ISL the dipstick tube says Spartan right on it so I assume so will the dipstick

how did you break off the dipstick?

Original post says dipstick not tube was broken (4" from the end).

It may be important as to WHICH end broke off, as that would tell us whether the 4" piece is in the pan or is separate at the other end.

In addition to checking with Monaco (their chassis, not Freightliner or Spartan to the best of my knowledge), if you are not going to repair it before driving, you might check with Cummins to see if the dip stick piece (either 4" or the long one) could harm the engine as it extends into the pan.

Another option is it broke just 4" from the end you check is to use a needle nose pliers to remove the dip stick and then just secure the end of the tube so dirt doesn't get in.

Brett

If this is broke 4 inches from top I would be concerned about driving it this way . My dipstick is a stiff but floppy cable.Could slide down into pan and get tangled in moving parts.Weird stuff happens.

Actually, it may be less damaging if the break is near the top. At least then the remaining piece will just go straight down into the pan-- not able to "escape".

If the "engine end" is what broke off, it would be a 4" piece of metal loose in the pan. Would hate to sees 4" piece of metal sloshed up into the crankshaft.

Chances of this little piece being sloshed up onto the crank are slim to none and if for some reason it was swirling around in the pan the chances of damage are slim to none.

I took a chance and drove 1200 miles with no problem. It was the end of the dipstick (flat metal measuring part) that broke off don't know if its stuck in the tube or fell to the pan. If it fell in I was hoping the magnet on the plug would hold onto it. I'll attempt retrieving it in a few days.

Thanks for all your help.