wildebill308

Ice And Sleet Storm In Texas

Well I am glad I was watching the weather this week. I was in Canton Texas when they started to predict this storm. I was suppose to stay until Sunday but decided to go home on Thursday morning. This was a good plan. I made it home with just a little rain/freezing rain. We got hit with sleet and freezing rain over night and today many of the roads are closed. I35 is closed going north. The news pictures look like something from the far north not the Dallas Fort Worth area. I am GLAD to be sitting at home watching it not trying to drive in it.

Bill

Our Rally here in Burleson began Last Thursday. We Arrived here Wednesday.Still here because the roads in the country are not cleared.

Bill, Tom & Louise wish your were here. :D

Herman

I would have liked to come by but we were scheduled to be in Canton till Sunday. We were at a rally with the Roughnecks another FMCA group. That got cut short because of the bad weather coming in. Maybe next time.

Bill

For obvious reasons, once we hit the Rio Grande Valley in the fall I have a hard time heading north until late spring!

We got to Arlington / Dallas KOA yesterday afternoon and when we got close we see lots of cars and small trucks in the ditch, some of them backwards. Needless to say the toad needs a bath before it could be used.

I had airline school near DFW starting Saturday, positioned myself in Arlington Thursday night. Six miles as the crow flies, more than an hour's drive, even after 48 hours.

One glitch, getting ready to go home: I had to climb onto the roof and kneel on the 2" layer of ice atop the rig, lean over the fairings, to break the long slabs on my toppers before closing the slides (about 53 linear feet). 'Like tossing two or three complete "ice" encyclopedia sets to the ground, all said and done.

Those who aren't up to gymnastics like that might be well-served to retract slides when it snows/sleets less than a week or two from a planned departure, in frigid weather (the manual says retract the slideouts whenever it snows, but let's temper such advice with a lil' common sense).

Tilting the rig nose up or down is critical, in conditions like that. Today, as the weather warms, it is in the driveway -- we have a 72 hour grace period -- with its butt hoisted aloft. Water has poured off the front cap all day!