Sign in to follow this  
ReneeEimerman

Warm Weather

Question

Looking for a nice resort to sneak away to for a couple months this winter.

Would like a place that offers activities. Prefer not to go out west.

We live in Indiana. Please send me some suggestions.

Thanks, Renee

6 answers to this question

Google Land Yacht Harbor; Melbourne, FL. It is a No Pet park located just off I-95 and near all RV necessities (Camping World, Cracker Barrel, Walmart, Sams, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.).

Many Hoosiers in park.

Sam

Renee,

Two choices from where you are: Central or southern Florida or the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Both offer what you are looking for.

The Rio Grande Valley of Texas is in the throes of a cold snap right now (Saturday), it is 40o this morning with winds from the north at 8 MPH. It occasionally gets colder than this but not very often and we very rarely get freezing temperatures. By Monday, it will be in the 60's again. Last week we were in the 80's. We'll be cool like this through January and then it starts to warm nicely in February. Spring here is February through April when typical temperatures are 60's in the morning and 80's for high temperatures. After that it gets real warm. All of the parks here are geared for the Winter Texans (called snowbirds and other names elsewhere). The parks have a variety of activities, some more than others. Bike riding, golf, bowling, swimming (we have a heated pool for year round use), hot tub, card games, tennis, shuffleboard, basketball, water volleyball, dances, happy hour, dinners, karaoke, book club and bingo are just a few of the things that our park offers. There are small parks and large ones here. Some are located next to state parks, others are located near urban centers and shopping areas. The parks range from humble to luxury parks with storage sheds and paved pads. We have all the chain restaurants and big shopping mall stores as well as many unique BBQ and Mexican restaurants and shops. You can find a wide variety of flea markets if you enjoy those and the ladies in the park enjoy an occasional trip to the Ropa Usada (used clothing stores). There are three state parks, two national wildlife refuges and a number of nature parks operated by cities, counties and organizations like The Audubon Society and The North American Butterfly Association. We have birds from the tropics as well as the migratory birds from all over the US. There are miles of trails to ride or hike. South Padre Island has beaches and deep sea fishing and is pretty quiet and low key until spring break.

Living is not too expensive here and there are over 80 parks to choose from. I just ran your route through my GPS program and it shows just under 1400 miles to McAllen Texas in the heart of the RGV. We're right down on the Mexican border but you could also stop anywhere along the gulf of Mexico on your way south if you are driving and find a place you like. If you come in your motor home, I recommend coming without reservations and sampling several parks but you could do your shopping on-line with the links above and reserve a specific park. We have commercial airline service to McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville so you could fly in. Some parks have rental units or apartments.

We've been coming here for 12 years and love the area enough to put a manufactured home in our park. We settled here after almost 10 years full time on the road.

Wow that sounds just like just what we are looking for. We are in Galveston Tx at the moment to escape the ice up north. Brrr. Really windy too. Will check out some of the Texas places as we have been to Florida many times. Ok off on my search.

Renee,

We are in Palacios right now-- an easy drive down the coast from Galveston and on the way to Rockport, Corpus Christi and the Rio Grande Valley. Wrap up our week here in the morning and head back home for the holidays.

We are at http://www.campingfriend.com/serendipitybayresort/ The marina and Matagorda bay just out the windshield.

Particularly if you are already in Texas, wander on down to the Valley with stops along the coach on the way down.

Already in Galveston! Come on down...

My GPS map shows 380 miles and there may be shorter routes to get you here.

Happy Travels.