Sign in to follow this  
DoggyDaddy

U.S. Military Campground listings

Military Campgrounds are a great option and opportunity for those of us who have military ID Cards.

Eligibility and authorized users includes Active duty, Retirees, Reserve, Dependents, 100% DAV, Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while on retired status.

Some military campgrounds do allow "sponsored guests." When allowed, your guest is allowed to stay in the campground with their own RV. Rules vary for allowing guests, and guests usually pay more than the military rate. It's best to check directly with the military campground(s) you're interested in to find out any special rules for guests.

A bonus of being on a military base is the savings in purchasing fuel and access to MWR discount coupons & packages for local area and sites, etc., PX, BX, commissaries, clubs, pools, theaters, and eating establishments.

Military Campgrounds are a great option and opportunity for those of us who have military ID Cards.

Eligibility and authorized users includes Active duty, Retirees, Reserve, Dependents, 100% DAV, Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while on retired status.

Some military campgrounds do allow "sponsored guests." When allowed, your guest is allowed to stay in the campground with their own RV. Rules vary for allowing guests, and guests usually pay more than the military rate. It's best to check directly with the military campground(s) you're interested in to find out any special rules for guests.

A bonus of being on a military base is the savings in purchasing fuel and access to MWR discount coupons & packages for local area and sites, etc., PX, BX, commissaries, clubs, pools, theaters, and eating establishments.

Here is a good list to go by:

http://old.armymwr.com/portal/travel/paths/

And here is a good one for reviews of those campgrounds:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/

Some campgrounds allow DoD civilians (of the branches) to use the facilities.

Guest Wayne77590

I have stayed at the following

Shields (NAS Corpus Christi)

Shield's Navy Construction Base, Biloxi, MS

NAS Pensacola, FL

Mayport NS, FL

Camp Lejeune, NC

Lunga Park, Quantico, VA

NAS Corpus is a nice CG. I have heard that they have added many new sites. All sites are level. The only problem with the Texas Gulf Coast is the constant wind, especially in the Winter months. Lots of amenities, but you will have to drive to some of them.

The Navy CB Base in Biloxi is brand new, built after Katrina. All sites are flat cement and double wide with at least 20 or more yards between sites. There are no amenities, just an office and bathroom facilities.

NAS P'cola is a 50 yard walk to the beaches with white sand. No swimming pool (wonder why). There is no club house, but there is a small rotunda in the middle with a big screen TV. It will no hold to many people. All in all it is a good place to stay, and is only 1/4 mile to the Naval Air Museum and the Blue Angels practice field (free).

Ah! Mayport. If they have the room they will put on on the front row for a max of two weeks (unless there are no reservations). In a Coach, your front window looks out to the mouth of the Saint Johns River. You can sit and watch the naval ships come and go. Nice club house. Great place to stop for a rest at.

Camp Lejeune - We were disappointed, even though it is very close to the beach (Just a walk across the road and over the walkway). The sites are gravel and close together. I told Earlene that I could get my tongs and steal a pickle from the picnic table next to us from the drivers window. Hey - the price is right and the security is very good, as it is at all Mil Fam Camps.

Quantico - If you go to Quantico ask for site #2 at The Pines. I must warn you though, you will have to parallel park your rig. I did, putting the street side just on the edge of the cement pad. When we stepped out of the coach we had about 3 feet of pad left, and then had to step over two rail road ties and onto my step extender to get to the ground level. From there it was 50 yards to the water (lake-no swimming) Hook ups are cumbersome with water at the front of the coach, sewer in the middle where it should be, and the electricity on a pole on curb side of the coach. I used all 50 feet of electric cord. The nearest camper to me on either side was over 100 yards. Talk about peacful - wow.

What are your experiences?

I have driven through Fort Sam Houston in the TOAD, and it looks real nice, as does the AFB in San Antonio.

We just returned from a 6 week trip to Santa Fe, then to Florida. We stayed at several military bases along the way. They included Wright Patterson AFB, there we visited the museums. After that we stayed at Scott AFB for 2 nights, then to Tinker AFB, there we visited the Oklahoma City bombing site and Toby Keith's restaurant. (Toby offers a free meal for Veterans.) Then from Santa Fe to Florida we stayed at Little Rock AFB. Our last base from Florida to Ohio was Kings Bay Sub Base in southern GA. Our first choice in traveling is to stay on military bases.

Our winter trip will be a month at Ft Benning, GA, a month at Ft Sam Houston, TX and several more bases before we get back home in May. If you are eligible, you need to try military campgrounds.

Road Dog

After that we stayed at Scott AFB for 2 nights,

Road Dog

What did you think of Scott? We stayed there this past June. I found it a little tight for my 40' and towed. Place could use a little updating. Very nice location though.

We really like WPAFB, stayed in the overflow right behind the shower building.

We agree - it's not one of the nicer military campgrounds - but we only stayed two nights as part of our trip west. Sites were a bit tight and we had no sewer, the grounds could have used some better maintenance, but we did hear that there were plans to expand the campground into the nearby temporary housing. If that's true, Scott could become a lot nicer place to stay. We did meet some nice folks and enjoyed the base.

Road Dog