Sign in to follow this  
loriscribe

Dewinterizing Atwood Water Heater

Somewhere in my file of fabulous RV info/tips I printed out -- from this forum, I'm sure -- instructions or information on how to reestablish the air pocket of RV water heaters after dewinterization. I know the water fill is automatic, but I just can't find the tip or remember how to establish that air pocket. Maybe I'm confused with the LP air pocket. That info just went poof.

Help would be appreciated.

Lori

The way I do it is as follows:

1) When I use RV antifreeze, I leave the water heater on bypass until all the RV antifreeze is out of the water system.

2) Open the temperature/pressure relief (TP) valve near the top of the water heater. It is a lever located on a brass valve and is accessed from the outside door where you access the water heater.

3) Locate your water heater bypass valves and turn them to where water enters the water heater (Not bypassed).

4) When water starts running out the temperature/pressure relief (TP) valve, close the valve. Since this valve is slightly below the top of the water heater tank, there will be an air pocket above the valve.

As an aside, if during normal operation, the air pocket is lost (a sign of this is leaking from the pressure/temperature valve), shut off the water supply (pump or valve supplying water to your coach), open a hot water faucet, then open the temperature/pressure relief valve and allow the water to run out of the valve. CAUTION: if the water heater has been operating, the water from the TP valve will be HOT!! From a safety standpoint, this procedure is best done with a cold water heater, but with caution, can be done when the water is hot.

Hope this helps.

Sam

I just de-winterized and now I have very little pressure on the hot water faucets. If I open a second faucet in the hot-cold mix, the pressure increases a little on the other open hot valve. I have opened the pressure relief valve on the tank but that did't seem to do much to increase the hot water pressure. This is the first time I ever experienced this! Anyone have any suggestions?

08 ITASCA

You may have some blockage in the fittings. Is the tank clean and free of mineral buildups? Flush the tank out and check all of the fittings.

Yup, common issue (assuming bypass valves are completely open to the water heater) is for minerals to restrict flow through the check valve at the back of the water heater.