gjbaird

Slide Gaskets

My slide rubber gaskets doesn't always flip over when I extend my slides and I have to put my finger under the rubber to flip it out.

Does any one know how I can get the rubber to flip out when I extend the slides?

I've always been told to use silicon spay on both sides of the gasket and to wax the slide side wall. This seems to help the gasket stay flexible and flip when the slide is moving in or out. However, I have a couple of slide gaskets on our rig that will not flip no matter what I put on the gasket. So, like you, I have to run a finger along the gasket to pull it out.

I've noticed that some coach builders put a diagonal strip on the slide boxes that fold the gasket out when the slide is extended. I want to say maybe Monaco and Tiffin.

gjbaird,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Keeping the seals lubricated with silicon as mentioned and cleaning and waxing the slide surfaces also helps.

One can clean the inner portion (set of seals) when the slide is pulled in just a little and the same goes for the top surface / roof of the slide in most cases. 6in. to a foot should be plenty and it can be done from inside using just a short step stool.

Should you be a non climber cleaning and siliconing the outside seals, primarily the top ones if you have slide toppers can be challenging.

Rich.

Those strips are not really seals but are there to squeegee water and debris from the slides as they are retracted.

The bulb seals on the top, sides and bottom of the slide frame are what actually do the sealing. Whether the squeegee strips flip completely or not is pretty much a non-issue.

I cleaned the surface of the slide and applied a bead of clear RTV silicone top to bottom. When it hits the rubber wipe on the way out, it flips it out. Same thing happens on the way it. I applied it with the slide out because I do not have good access to the slide wall when it is retracted.

Just thinking out loud here: Using the awning rod, put a rag in the loop end, spray with whatever lubricant you use, 303, silicone, etc., and push it along the top seal.

Everyone can send me $.10 for that idea, hee hee!

Wayne77590, I use a fire pit poker, I cleaned off the burrs and coated it with rubber that you dip it into (like handles on plyers), when it hardened its not likly to scratch the surface. It works for me. I am probably going to replace the wiper seals in the spring, hopefully I can retire the tool then, I might try the silicone trick if the new seals do not flip on their own.

I use the round end of the awning tool as stated by rocky to flip the side wiper seals out. As for the top - I let the technicians take care of it when the MH is in for it's fixin's, which seems to be to many times now.

My slide rubber gaskets doesn't always flip over when I extend my slides and I have to put my finger under the rubber to flip it out.

Does any one know how I can get the rubber to flip out when I extend the slides?

What makes you think they have to flip over? They are more of a wiper not a seal. Please don't go sticking your finger in there when the slide is moving. Why not call or email the manufacture and see what they say.

Bill

On our 2002 Dynasty the slides have a strip of slightly rough tape on the slide. when the slide goes out the seal will flip out and when the slide goes in the seal will flip as it passes the strip. Works for us.

Herman