gcollins

Disney World Florida in Motorhome

Question

13 answers to this question

It really does depend what time of year you are going. Dec/Jan of course is a busy time... New Year's WOW - most are already sold out.

Lake Louisa State Park is only about 15 miles from DW. You can see the areal fireworks at DW. A beautiful park about 5000 acres. A few sites with full hookup but good luck getting in especially near Christmas. You have to have reservations 11 months in advance but we would take even a electric water site over any private camp ground. Our favorite Florida State Park.

Although a bit pricey, as Allyson says it is hard to beat Ft Wilderness. Big rig friendly and access to all Disney transportation system. Shuttle bus thru campground to bus transportation station and from there transportation to all parks; or shuttle to motor launch dock where you can boat to Magic Kingdom, Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge and from the main transportation center, monorail to other resorts around Magic Kingdom or to Epcot. Premium sites are generous and generally offer some degree of privacy. Great for kids but not too shabby for adults either. :)

If you want to save some money and stay outside Disney ($$$$$$) you might also look at Tropical Palms. It's nearby and has plenty of room or any RV and toad. Time of year is critical when you are making reservations. Prime time Winter requires more lead time.

I doubt you can get a site in Fort Wilderness. We are down this week and another family we are here with tried to get a site and it was booked.

Looking for help. Going to Disney World. Where do you recommend the very best place to stay in my 42-foot Travel Supreme?

We are looking to go down from N.C.around March if we can get reservations sounds like Ft. Wilderness is what we want, how about dogs we have 2 border collies?

Disney won't give discounts unless you specifically asked for them. If you have AAA call back and ask if you can get AAA discount with your reservation. If that not available, ask if they have any other promotions you can take advantage of. As far as your two dogs, they added a very large dog park about 3-5 years ago. Closest loops to it are 300 and 500 and the one just south of 500 but can't recall number. The 800 and 700 loops have a trail behind them to walk the dogs on leash (you can see part of the old Disney RR tracks that used to run through CG on this trail). You can still walk to dog park by crossing street and cutting thru loop 500 and then cross street again to the off-leash park.

You have a very long RV. Disney enlarged the sites in all the loops but the loop road itself is still a bit narrow. When you made your ressies, you gave them all the details of your rig (length, slideouts, etc) and they should put you in a spot that will fit you. Just remember that when you first enter your loop and it seems so tight, especially if most of sites are occupied at the time you arrive. We have a 37 footer but we have seen much bigger rigs all over the CG.

Fort Wilderness is the best place to stay when visiting WDW. No other CG in the area can compare. As a matter of fact, we even stayed there one time and never entered any of the Disneyworld parks. Wishing you a wonderful time.

If you are spending any length of time in Disney, you must stay in Ft Wilderness. Couple of tips. In Ft Wilderness they have a ferry that leaves every 5-10 minutes and takes you on a 10 minute ride to the gates of Magic Kingdom. There you can take the tram if you need to. All free! If not, there are two bus stations in Ft Wilderness that will take you to virtually any of the parks. If you have kids, there are several playgrounds throughout, a pool if its summer, canoes, etc. You can rent a golf cart but I would reserve in advance to get around. Finally, it is a bit pricey and they book fast. If you need to only stay a few days and thy are booked, try calling and booking for 2-3 weeks. Once reserved, you can call back the next day and tell them your plans have changed and you only need the days you actually want to stay. It works!! We have stayed there at least 15 times in the last 4 years. But then again, we only live 2 hours away.

Must? I did it once but due to the cost I would never do it again. If you plan to only go once in your life (and you have kids along) I would absolutely agree that you must stay at Ft. Wilderness once!

When it's just me and the wife we prefer to stay outside and have plenty of extra money to enjoy one of the many very nice restaurants. One of our favorites is the Flying Fish at The Boardwalk. Parking at The Boardwalk also allowed you to walk in the back gate with no crowds but the exact same access to the entire park. It was also close to one of our other favorite restaurants in Japan.