Sign in to follow this  
SteveH01

US 98 Between Pensacola And Apalachacola, FL

Question

We've come across the US west to east mostly on I-10. Is 98 a good road? How many lanes? we've got some time but don't know if this route is much harder than the interstate route.

Thanks, Steve

8 answers to this question

We have used 98 for years with Class C, A and TT's.

It's a slower 2 lane route, but we preferred it when we had the time.

Occasionally, there will be construction, depending on recent storm activity in some locations, nothing that never held us up for extended periods.

Some great coastal views and just a laid back route. Some nice coastal communities to stop at for lunch, etc.

If you have the time to meander, it can be an enjoyable diversion from interstate driving.

Particularly between Pensacola and Destin a lot of stop and go/traffic light driving. Quite built up.

East of Panama City, it is more the way it was 30 years ago.

I would take I-10 to the last Panama City exit, which is highway 231, and go south all the way to highway 98, then turn east. There are shorter routes that I know, but I have been traveling these routes for 50+ years. As Brett said, the congestion is not worth the effort to run 98 all the way. The scenery is very good east of Panama City, and when you get to Apalachacola, there is many good places to eat some of the best seafood on the planet.

Happy holidays,

Kay

If you have the time you can stop at some very good Florida beach campgrounds along that section of coast, both FL state parks and private parks. But other comments are right on target, traffic around Destin and PCB is trying on one's patience. Now, while this comment could start an argument, you should be sure to try some Apalachicola oysters which I think are some of the best in the country!

I would choose US98 every time. As Charles Kuralt said, "interstates are wonderful. You can travel border to border and coast to coast and never see a thing." If you want to avoid the heavier traffic, drop down from I10 at exit 56, then take State Hiway 20 east and 77 south to east of Panama City picking up 98 there to Apalachicola. Best coastal scenery is on that stretch of 98. We usually choose routes other than interstates all the time.

We really enjoy that area, both in our motorhome and in our sail boat.

Coming from the west, we exit I10 on FL 85. Take it south to Niceville, then east on FL20 to FL 77 south into Panama City where we pick up 98 east.

Have spend quite a bit of time in Apalachicola in the sailboat waiting for weather windows to cross the Gulf to Tampa.

West of Panama City we no longer find scenic-- strip malls and condos is not our thing. But were we to go that way, would drop down onto Santa Rosa Island from Navarre to Pensacola. At least there you get some beach (very white sand) and Gulf views.

Brett