Good morning,

Firstly, as a new user, hello to everyone on here and thanks in advance for any help/advice you may have. I am actually in the UK and am looking at buying a diesel A class in the next twelve months or so to leave in the US and to use for (hopefully) six months of the year, the max a tourist visa will allow.

Here's what I have thought/learned already:

1. We would like a 43-45' unit with a bath & ½. We especially like the 44B (Entegra) and similar Tour 'L' lounge layouts

2. If used, tyres & batts a consideration depending upon age

3. Buy private/from dealer only with an independent inspection

4. If from a dealer, look at one with a good/prompt service reputation

5. Various elec 'toys' nice but not crucial (other than a descent CD/audio system

6. 'All elec' sounds the way to go, but again not essential

7. Will probably buy from a Texas or Florida dealer mainly due to choice & experience of selling to overseas customers (registration etc.) - plus both a practical to get to from the UK

8. Buy using an LLC. - Worth looking at I believe?

9. Look at 'home' state for insurance purposes.

Have I missed anything? However, what I would really like to hear from people about and I know they are personal opinions, is for a given price, what are the advantages of new vs. used? I know in the UK, my caravan (trailer) from 2006 is far more solid than anything from the last couple of years in the same price bracket. As you can guess, you can't see build quality from a glossy brochure. Entegra owners do seem pleased with their rigs though. (Unlike quite a few Fleetwood Charleston owners I have seen comments from) Assuming I was buying tomorrow, I am talking about say a 2007/8 Rambler/Newmar/Monaco vs. a new Entegra. My budget is around $175k-$250 at todays prices. The opinions I have read so far seem to say build quality is better/more solid for the older models, but newer models other than perhaps looking more modern have more updated electronics/toys etc. Also, I realise all coaches are going to depreciate, but like cars, is the biggest hit in the first 2/3/4 years?

Again, thanks in advance for any help or opinions anyone has. They really would be appreciated. (Apologies for the long post as well)

Being from Alabama, I would suggest looking at the Tiffin line. They are built here in Alabama in Red Bay. I have been to their factory, and was impressed with the finess that is put into their homes. They offer Allegro, Phaeton, and Zephyr. Your choice on whether new or used, they seem to hold value longer than some of the others in your budget range. Good luck hunting and hope to see you here.

Kay

Welcome to the forum, Powerstroker.

We purchased a new 2013 Entegra 42 DEQ in Sept. We LOVE OUR ENTEGRA!!

Previously, we owned a 03 Monaco Camelot, we ordered, it too was a nice coach.

IHMO, you will be hard pressed to find 44B used, as the model was just introduced. There is a used 2014 Entegra Aspire DLQ advertised in Dec. issue of FMCA magazine page103(classified section).

In closing, the Entegra is the smoothest & quietest coach I have driven. The CS IS OUTSTANDING!! A two warranty, great coach. Not to say the Tiffin product is not an excellent coach.. Bob Tiffin is super.. Good luck. dd:)

Welcome to the forum, Powerstroker.

We purchased a new 2013 Entegra 42 DEQ in Sept. We LOVE OUR ENTEGRA!!

Previously, we owned a 03 Monaco Camelot, we ordered, it too was a nice coach.

IHMO, you will be hard pressed to find 44B used, as the model was just introduced. There is a used 2014 Entegra Aspire DLQ advertised in Dec. issue of FMCA magazine page103(classified section).

In closing, the Entegra is the smoothest & quietest coach I have driven. The CS IS OUTSTANDING!! A two warranty, great coach. Not to say the Tiffin product is not an excellent coach.. Bob Tiffin is super.. Good luck. dd:)

My wife and I are looking for Entegra owners for input on their purchases. We are deciding between the Tiffin Allegro Bus or the Entegra Anthem. We like the Entegra by far but are caught in the hype of the Tiffin customer service. Any input you can share about your Entegra would be appreciated. Would you do it again?

This issue has been discussed before, quite often. In fact there is another thread right now comparing the 2.

There are a couple of factors that might make a used, late model coach look better.

It seems many new coaches have lots of little issues and perhaps some bigger issues that have to be fixed under warranty. Fortunately there is a warranty, but how much time do you wish to spend at the dealer getting things fixed. It seems manufacturers are putting their efforts into pushing units out the door with the thought that the problems can be fixed later.

As soon as you close the deal on the new coach and take possession it will loose thousands of dollars in value compared to a used late model coach. The new coach depreciation is considerable. A story one of my neighbors related. He and his wife bought an American Eagle and stayed one night at the dealer. They did not like the American Eagle and the next day traded it on an American Horizon (the highest level coach American makes). They received $50,000 less in trade in value for the American Eagle than they had paid the previous day!. This sounds like an extreme case, but is most likely a good gage at what a new coach will loose in value.

Both of these items lend me to lean toward the late model used coach. However if I had the money and planned on keeping the coach for enough time, at least several years, then the depreciation factor may not be a large consideration.

Medico.

Your neighbor is either embellishing the truth or stupid. One night at Dealer and lost $ 50k!! No way. I would be on the phone to AMC in a heartbeat! Something smells.

Actually, if the paperwork had gone through to the state (meaning the vehicle was/would be registered in their name) it very likely would have lost that kind of money.

It could no longer be sold a new.

OK, Brett. It's possible, but I've not run across a dealer, that efficient. Also, don't know if Eagle was "New". I would still have called AMC! There is more than enough money built in to be able to re adjust on the Heritage (not Horizon), even with the 30% off MSRP.

Carl C.

A number of years ago we had extensive cabinet work done on our Safari coach - had it done by Davis Cabinet in Oregon near the Monaco operation. Monaco had purchased Safari by that time. The old Safari plant was being used by Monaco to do warranty repairs and Safari parts were being sold there as well. In the course of purchasing a few parts for our Safari I had occasion to speak with a number of Monaco owners who had been there for up to a month having warranty items repaired. I don't write this to knock Monaco (I understand that company is long gone anyway) but rather to illustrate what some owners of new coaches have to go through in order to get the bugs out of their rigs. When you look at a used unit with excellent service records you will likely see that it was necessary for the original owner to have a number of items taken care of. Not having to go through all that hassle has to be a consideration in the new vs used decision.

We have had 4 motorhomes over the years a B, a C and 2 A's all purchased used with low mileage. I have seen Endeavor 41s other postings and would share that based on our friends who have purchased new that for all brands it seems that the customer is the quality control department, and at best the dealer makes the corrections. Even with our C and the A's that were 6 - 12 months old with less than 5000 miles, unexpected things popped up. The dealer and manufacturer’s service departments are really the key to the experience good or bad, but at least with a slightly used unit the first round of problems usually the big ones have been found and corrected. Later problems are usually of the recall type like the Norcold/Dometic fridges or the Boesch Brakes.

Actually, if the paperwork had gone through to the state (meaning the vehicle was/would be registered in their name) it very likely would have lost that kind of money.

It could no longer be sold a new.

In some States, there is a 72 hrs wait period for MV contracts to protect consumers from less than honest salespeople....within that 72 hrs the customer can return the MV for a full refund less a fee for using the vehicle...

Our neighbor is above reproach. He is quite wealthy having run a business for many years and selling it a few years ago. His only problem is he would not negotiate much. He did indeed loose that much after the paperwork was recorded the day of the sale and the next day he traded the Eagle for the high end model. This is however just one example. You drive off the lot you will loose thousands since the coach cannot be sold new any more. It has already been registered.

I have no idea which state he bought his coach in.

Powerstroker, there are some amazing deals on high end coaches. Seems like the rich and famous get tired of the same thing in a short while. They are busy so cant use it or what ever but there are some apparent good bargains for some one with the moolah to go top end.

There might be something said for a coach that has been lived in. Problems might not show up right away and a slightly used coach might have all the little stuff and maybe some big stuff taken care of. Being time limited in your use could pose problems with servicing. My original coach dealer did'nt think 2 or 3 weeks wait was a problem. We are in an area that has about 6 months of comfortable weather. Plus we were burning up our warranty with the coach in the shop being un used just waiting for something to fail. I have come totaly full circle from wanting new to buying used from a reliable seller. Lots of stuff happens right off the git go and if you buy used hopefully it will all be fixed. The other side is that it may not be fixable and the original owner is bailing out :(

I would not dismiss looking in Elkhart In. where most of these coaches are made. The dealers are quite familiar to dealing with buyers from everywhere. My most recent coach was purchased at Total Value RV and I found them to be reliable Dave Olson was my salesman and he has broad experience in the coach industry 1-574-262-4460. Realize that a coach made in Elkhart has to go 1000 miles to Fl and you will pay for the trip even it you didn't get to go along.

A used coach is totally different and the bargains are where they are. An inspection of any coach might be prudent or a waste of money depending on the outcome.

. :) So you have a lot to think about. One coach offers 2yr warranty for new purchase . Good luck with your purchase :)