huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

Since it has & continues to snow in Southern CA..is that anywhere near you?  I saw a clip of snow in Joshua & the I-15 corridor!  

On 12/28/2019 at 4:41 AM, manholt said:

Since it has & continues to snow in Southern CA..is that anywhere near you?  I saw a clip of snow in Joshua & the I-15 corridor!  

We had rain all day on the 27th but snow above 2,500 feet. So would of been bad time to drive through the passes. Part of I-5 passes were closed. We visited Joshua tree Park yesterday in the toad and took pictures with the snow.  

OK we done this the first time since we own this coach.  We ran it out of propane.  It hit bottom on Saturday, we call the propane service first thing Monday morning and left message.  Tonight the flame went out in the fridge so tank is empty.  The refill won't be until Thursday so we have to go all electric until then.  We don't use the heat pump unless we have to because it louder than using the propane furnace.  Switching the electric on to the fridge and hot water is no problem but we will have to pay extra electric use.  We will survive. 

Until next post, Happy New Year.  

OK I'm still trying to figure out how I ran out of propane.  With the horizontal tank I experienced the point of diminishing returns.  The gauge reads F, 2/3, 1/3, E.  Full is really 80% not 100%, 2/3 is really 50% not 66.3, 1/3 is really 20% not 33.3 and empty.is practically nothing at all.   It's a wonder we got 4 days  out of it before depleted.  Yes we had a call into the delivery truck as soon as it went empty.  

There is another reason that made it empty so soon when it hit 1/3.  The gauge measure liquid level not amount of propane left.  So a round horizontal tank would have very few gallons left at 20%.  The tank is a 39 gallons and 80% is 31.2 gallons.  The gauge is wacked to begin with as full is only 80% so it goes down to 2/3 very soon.  It takes much longer to go from 2/3 to 1/3.  After 1/3 very little left.  Full is 31.2 gallons and 2/3 is 24.2 and 1/3 is only 7 gallons.  We have to take into account the tank is round.  1/3 (20%) would be the minimum the tanh should be allow to go.  

Per my specs, I'm suppose to have a 150 gal fuel tank & at 25% of fuel left, my generator will cut out & so will Aqua Hot if it's on diesel.  That should leave 37.5 gallons to find a fuel stop. Actually I subtract 10%!  Last year in Jan. I got down to a 1/4 tank mark in freezing weather, snow and no fuel stop that I could use. Closes Truck Stop was 200+ miles away...pucker time!  Told Linda, when generator shuts down, all we got would be dash heat & coach would get cold fast.  Well, it stayed on gen until we stopped to fill up...I took 137+ gallons!  Linda called Spartan while I was on pump, gave them all the info they wanted...In this coach Spartan put a 186 gallon tank by mistake!  That's why I re-zero my tripometer each time I fill up!

In Canada, 4300+ miles last summer, I filled up 5 times...we ran Aqua Hot every night for 64 nights on diesel, otherwise I would have been good with 4.  My dash fuel gauge is for a 100 gal. tank.  

When I fill up I always lower the side opposite of where I am filling. Doing this I will get at least 5 more gallons in the tank. (yes truckers look at me funny). According to my coaches spec. sheet, I have a 130 Gallon. When I fill up my trip tank will say I have 124 gallons and will stay there for almost 200 miles before it comes off 124 gallons. Any time my gauge reads 1/2 tank I begin to look for a fuel stop. 

Herman

2 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

When I fill up I always lower the side opposite of where I am filling. Doing this I will get at least 5 more gallons in the tank. (yes truckers look at me funny).

I picked up this habit from you, I do it every time. If I don't my fuel gauge will not make it to full. The Monaco tank fill necks are to low by IMHO design flawed. I can squeeze another 15 gallons into ours and still have room for expansion :blink:

The propane truck didn't make it here yesterday even Though talking to the office he said he would. The truck is due to come around next thursday.  That will make it two weeks without propane.  

Can you get a delivery? or how far do you need to drive to go get it. Hate to say it but this is where an extend a stay would be good to have.

Bill

Huffy Puff, the rule of thumb to determine which is cheaper to use, LP or electric, is to multiply the cost of electric per KWH X 18. This takes into account the inefficiency % of the LP furnace and water heater. The straight multiplication is rate 21 if you assume everything LP burns at 100% efficiency.

I sat and calculated that out one winter(long time ago) we stayed home and it was too cold to get outside and work.

12 hours ago, manholt said:

Too much time on your hands! LOL

Yeah, I’d unhook the coach and drive to a propane dealer or hardware store and get it filled up.

21 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Can you get a delivery? or how far do you need to drive to go get it. Hate to say it but this is where an extend a stay would be good to have.

Bill

seems like this delivery truck is the only deal in town.  

21 hours ago, RayIN said:

Huffy Puff, the rule of thumb to determine which is cheaper to use, LP or electric, is to multiply the cost of electric per KWH X 18. This takes into account the inefficiency % of the LP furnace and water heater. The straight multiplication is rate 21 if you assume everything LP burns at 100% efficiency.

I sat and calculated that out one winter(long time ago) we stayed home and it was too cold to get outside and work.

We are in CA so you can bet the electric rate is high.  I heard as high as .24 kwh so I have to pay through the nose.  

8 hours ago, jleamont said:

Yeah, I’d unhook the coach and drive to a propane dealer or hardware store and get it filled up.

Yes there is one not far away doing day hours but dw don't want to as the spots are tight here

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Hee hee! Leave her there. Better yet, send her to Walmart.

Sorry Hana, just couldn't resist.

I had to do that once, I sent them shopping I took the coach, worked out ok. The tough part was all the stuff I didn’t realize wasn’t secured until I went around a corner. :lol:

The propane truck made it here today and it took 31.1 of it's 31.2 rated capacity of a 39 gallon tank at 80%.  They only come here once a week and was swamped because of the cold weather during the holidays.  That's why he wasn't here last week.  We survived lately by blowing the chill off in the morning with the two heat pumps and using the microwave/convection to cook.   

ShadePro came yesterday and replaced the soft connect to the awning.  It is more of a plastic now instead of vinyl so it should last longer than the old.  We are going to the Western area rally in Indio, CA tomorrow.  We are pricing replacing the pleated shades we hate with roller shades for ten windows.  

https://wafmca.com/?page_id=167

7 hours ago, huffypuff said:

We are pricing replacing the pleated shades we hate with roller shades for ten windows.  

https://wafmca.com/?page_id=167

$$$$$$$$

We are replacing our pleated shades ourselves. I got them at Lowes. They can order the correct width and length or cut to size in the store if the colors are what you want. Had some issues on the first one (learning curve). Now I am ready to attack the rest. 

Less then $150.00 per window plus my labor.

Herman

16 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

$$$$$$$$

We are replacing our pleated shades ourselves. I got them at Lowes. They can order the correct width and length or cut to size in the store if the colors are what you want. Had some issues on the first one (learning curve). Now I am ready to attack the rest. 

Less then $150.00 per window plus my labor.

Herman

Please post pictures on another topic, I'd like to see the before and after.

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Joe, why post pic on another topic?  This is our general discussion...You can post a dead coon here! 🤣

If another person is seeking out new window treatments it would be helpful to them if the topic matched.