huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

Oh we had high hopes leaving for extended vacation but we keep running into one snag after another. It went as follows so far:

We started out December 5th and no sooner that we were underway a lady crept out from a slow moving lane and stopped. I barely had time to stop as it was a true test of brakes and tires of both motorhome and toad. I have a dash cam for this reason for if I hit her she would of claimed I was at fault. I was shook up for awhile but my co-pilot claims the lady in that car was laughing.

We got to Twin Falls, ID Walmart for overnight. All was fine until the morning when we found out the cargo heater failed and the plumbing frozen. We knew Las Vegas was warmer so we continue on. Once in NV it was about 3:30 PM and I was getting sun glare in my eyes from the sun darting between the cracks of the shades. Sure enough because of that I missed the sign that went from 70 - 45 mph and got nailed for doing 60 in a 45. He didn't want to hear my excuse and gave me a lecture about how I could kill somebody. I wish I could tell him about the lady the day before and if I was going the posted speed limit she would of been hurting. Once the coach got to warmer weather the alarm quit and jacks down light went out.

When the pipes and pump thawed there was no damage lucky us. Another thing that happen was one of the jacks down didn't go off so the alarm was constantly blaring. I got so bad that I unplugged the keypad, who can drive with that noise.

Since it was getting into the weekend and not able to find 12 volt cargo heater we had to call the dealer. We decided best to head south to route 10. We stayed at another Walmart on route 10 and Monday we finally got a call through to the dealer. The cargo heater is going to be shipped to one of ours NC stop.

The campgrounds we look for on Monday didn't pan out and we drove and drove and went into the TA truck stop. Well it was full and only space was back field area. Now remember you can't back up with a toad on a tow bar so once into it we had to move on. We saw several large potholes full of water and tried to straddle between two of then. Sure enough the right front wheel suddenly dropped into one hole with the step hitting the ground bending the step.

We have better luck finding a campground at Dallas / Arlington KOA. Today we began the process of removing the steps and brackets to bend back in place, not easy. Will finish tomorrow.

Sorry you are having such bad luck. Almost sounds like one of my adventures. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and hope the rest of your vacation goes better.

Happy holidays,

Kay

With the title indicating "so far," this kind of post would be better suited for the Blog section of the web site though we all hope for a happier post next time. Blogs are continuing posts, more like serial stories about our motor home travels and experiences. I post a woe-is-me story on my blog once in a while but try to keep it upbeat for the most part.

Thanks for the encouragement Tom and Kay, as for weird post ticat, think more in line of national lampoon vacation. It took lots of work but we removed all the steps brackets and straighten them. The good news it actually works as new and show no sign of damage. Tom how do I move this to the blog section?

Ray,

It's not a weird post so don't give that poster a second thought. It's nice to be able to air your frustration and it can also help others prevent making similar mistakes.

Keep posting and let us know if things get better. It doesn't sound like it can get too much worse! :o

Ray,

I had to do some checking to answer your question about the blog. I've been blogging here for about three years and once set up, you don't have to do the set-up again. You can start a blog by going to your user name at the top right of this page. When you left click on it you will get a drop down list. Look for the item that says Manage Blogs. When that page comes up you will see a button that says Create a Blog. Click on that and follow the instructions to set up your blog. You will want to give it a name that is more general than your entry title above unless you plan to have lots of misadventures! You can post photos in the album section and then link them to a specific blog entry but you certainly don't have to do that. Before you actually create a blog, take a look at several of the blogs and get a feeling for how others have set them up and what they are writing about. That might help you give yours a title and suggest other things you might write about.

Once done, you can go to this entry and copy the text then paste it to a blog entry. Give it a title as you did with your posting above and then post it. You will have your first blog entry. You won't actually move this entry from here to there. You can leave this posting as it is, it won't matter. From then on you won't have to do the Create a Blog bit, you just keep adding stories. You can do one or more in a day or one a year. Right now we have about half a dozen active bloggers. The more the merrier. Join us.

Thanks to all who responded to ticat's remark. I was thinking of asking him if his favorite radio wasn't a Cobra29.

Happy forward trails Huffypuff, may the wind be at your back.

Kay

Great news, we made it to Graceland RV Park and Resort with no issue except an occasion alarm from the power gear jacks over bumps. I'm beginning to think fluid level because jacks down light is normally off. I won't have time to look at it until I reach North Carolina. No problem the system otherwise function good. We are here for two days.

Made it to Charlotte, NC and got the part installed and couple of other minor repairs done and caught up. Got the motorhome washed and tires shined and looking good.

Go out in the toad tonight and it broke down as an apparent alternator quit charging.

I hope this is the last of it.

Got the alternator replaced on the toad a few days ago and working good so far. Must of been ready to go for awhile because since been starting faster than it did in a long time. It's a Jeep liberty diesel so battery must be fully charged or hard to start. Tomorrow morning we head to our next stop Wilmington, NC

I finally had the time to check the power gear jacks fluid level. I found there was wires coming out of the top of the reservoir so must be level switch that may think jacks are down if reading low. I topped this off and will find if this solves problem when I get into cold weather again. Another problem I tried to look at before is sometimes the rear camera will lose horizontal (twisted picture unviewable) like an on antenna tv and stay that way for awhile. I look for the rear connector to clean as I done for the side cameras but I not able to find it. I'm going to look again for driving without that camera working is not what I want to do when towing a toad.

Since last post from Wilmington, NC, we went to Abingdon, MD and Bear DE. All worked out OK but we cut it short up north when we heard a storm coming the north east area. We went to Ft Chiswell, VA and found the replacement basement heater worked by keeping the water flowing with outside temperature at 12 degrees. Then we went to Pelham, AL and set up the jacks on a campsite that sloped to the front and right. The jacks didn't seem to go up level as it seem to be leaning left so I decided to raise the jacks and try again. When I press the button to bring the jacks up instead of going up smooth it bounce the coach several times as it appeared to go up. The next time I push auto level nothing happen. I got out and looked under the coach and noticed that the front jack was down and the rears were up. I pressed the button for the all jacks to raise again and the front one stayed down. I got a flashlight and look underneath and found fluid had run out up front. Now I have to wait until the morning for mobile service and dealing with extended service contract.

Got emergency service and found the front jack is shot. The mechanic can only loosen the line and pry the jack up and between the line and seal lost a gallon of fluid on the ground. At least we left Birmingham and now at we are at New Orleans. The replacement won't be replaced until we make it home whenever that will be. We are tired of the trouble we have so far and appreciate the support from the few so far so thank you.

Old hand at the RV life, new at this RV site.

I was nodding my head at your ordeals: been there done some of that. At least you made it off the home block! Let the adventures continue.

Good to know about the blogs. Have to look for them.

Now that we are at New Orleans it looks like the cold weather is following us. When we leave tomorrow morning it will be about 28 degrees and record for here. We had a great time today with 72 degree weather and going west and hope to get away from the cold. Hmmmm lottery tickets, haven't thought about making a donation to it.

We finally got away from the cold weather as we are near LA at a KOA. No additional problems but we aren't home yet with a few days to go.

I found your posts to be interesting reading and was reminded of some of the experiences I have endured. I look forward to more of them. Only thing I would ask: When you get services/ repairs from someone/business let us know who performed it as well as to their professionalism. It would be a great service to us as we travel through those cities. I read horror stories in our magazines as well as atta boys and I make a note in my log book. Comments about where (KOA/campgrounds) you stayed and their services is also helpful. I(we) will also look up the blog since we are new to FMCA and a local(South AL) chapter .We moved up to a 40 Dual slide Tiffin Allegro Bus and are learning the ropes with it.

and our new membership in FMCA

Jesse and Anita James

Oh we had high hopes leaving for extended vacation but we keep running into one snag after another. It went as follows so far:

We started out December 5th and no sooner that we were underway a lady crept out from a slow moving lane and stopped. I barely had time to stop as it was a true test of brakes and tires of both motorhome and toad. I have a dash cam for this reason for if I hit her she would of claimed I was at fault. I was shook up for awhile but my co-pilot claims the lady in that car was laughing...

Huffy, great stories. We've all suffered similar trips; hopefully, they become fewer and further apart as we accumulate experience and intuition.

I'm becoming a great fan of dash cams, was shown an ad for a new Garmin model the other day. They "ain't just for Russians" anymore!!

Again, sharing our misadventures helps arm the group as a whole, maybe helps someone who's one day in the same barrel.