huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

8 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

I always get better mileage traveling East. Seems there is always a nice tailwind.

I thought about that , looks like I be crying the blues on my travel going west  

22 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Could you clarify that question?  Not sure what you are asking.

The app inserts quotes I didn't want answers I don't want  I can delete all but the header  

Back on the road again, first replaced the controller on the fridge. Went visiting during the holidays and dropped lots of presents and carring  weight  One friend passed before visit.  Another visit didn't pan out. No other big problems but a long to do list that I started on.

Left Charlotte Speedway and headed south to Florida.  We are dry camping at NAS Key West and will be leaving Tuesday morning.  Then onto Ft Myers for a few days. Afterwards we will go to Blue Angels NAS Pensacola, Florida for 4 days. 

Puff, glad to hear you got a away before the snow. Where are you staying in Ft Myers? I have reservations for Red Coconut RV park in the summer.

I am a bit concerned that I won't be able to get into our site (C5).

Puff,

Other than Key West, have you had any other reservation problems at the military sites? Are they all filled up?

Thanks.

Most military bases don't take reservations and is first come first serve.  You may end up in overflow until hook up becomes available. Here is over two weeks. We get to dry camp four days for only $60. At Pensacola we got reservations but on grass with EWS.  

$15/day to dry camp and that's a good deal?  I used to live on base at NAS Pensacola when Roger Staubach was our quarterback!

Sorry, I did not think your other option was staying at a motel.  If you are staying in Key West (not some other key) for $15/night then I wish I had not turned down that West Point appointment.

11 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Most military bases don't take reservations and is first come first serve.  You may end up in overflow until hook up becomes available. Here is over two weeks. We get to dry camp four days for only $60. At Pensacola we got reservations but on grass with EWS.  

There were very few military bases on the West Coast that did not take reservations. Many of the AFB and Army bases have converted over to reservations systems.  Some of them have to be reserved on-line or through an 800 number that connects many of the bases.

There are 19 military RV parks in Florida. Sixteen of those require reservations for RV's and 1 for quarters reservations. So 17 out of 19 military campgrounds in Florida take reservations either by pone or on-line through the internet.  Yes NASKW, formerly known as Sigsbee, takes reservations with no hook-ups the rotate you in and out. I have heard that it is a pain in the butt to get into in the Winter time.

I personally believe that there should be short stay limits at all the military campgrounds, like 14 days in, 14 days out and a max number of times that can be done. But that is just my personal opinion.  Some of the West Coast bases have instituted short terms like that.

There are Fam Camps in both El Paso, TX and Tuscon, AZ. Although I am a veteran I am not retired (8 years Navy, sorry about that Wayne), we do travel with a a retired Army Sargent Major. Has anyone stayed at either? Are they hard to get into?  I have looked on line and neither one takes reservation. Thinking of them while on route to Chandler the last of February.

Herman

You are correct on those two places not accepting reservations. However there are 10 FamCamps in Arizona and 5 of them take reservations. Some with reservations at FamCamps are Boondocking but not many.  AZ has one area at Ft. Huachuca that is boondocking and requires reservations, as an example.

Anyone interested can look up the military campgrounds at Military Campgrounds

4 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

You are correct on those two places not accepting reservations. However there are 10 FamCamps in Arizona and 5 of them take reservations. Some with reservations at FamCamps are Boondocking but not many.  AZ has one area at Ft. Huachuca that is boondocking and requires reservations, as an example.

Anyone interested can look up the military campgrounds at Military Campgrounds

You are correct with the military link but most gives local numbers. I'm learning and now hooking up to Navy Getaways toll free number. They book and keep your cc on file then email you the reservation. Still looking for better AFB and Army fam camp links. 

I'm now have reservations up to New ORLEANS and we be traveling through Texas on I-10 afterwards. 

Ran into our first big problem this morning. DW started to make coffee and the generator quit producing voltage. There is no voltage coming from generator and I flipped the breaker switch. We had lost of power last night but it reset itself in a few moments. Thought we heard a thump when it did it but maybe engine change speed. 

It is a Onan Quiet Diesel 8000 that was very reliable until now. Does anybody have a idea what could be wrong or how to fix it. If needs Cummins Onan service I have XtraRide. 

Where are you checking the generator output voltage, before or after the transfer switch? If you are checking after the transfer switch, the problem may be in the transfer switch.

Unfortunately if the problem is with the generator it is difficult to troubleshoot without the proper diagnostic tools.  About the only thing that you can do is a visual inspection of connections and any sign of burnt components or wiring.

Good luck.

Jim

21 hours ago, huffypuff said:

You are correct with the military link but most gives local numbers. I'm learning and now hooking up to Navy Getaways toll free number. They book and keep your cc on file then email you the reservation. Still looking for better AFB and Army fam camp links. 

I'm now have reservations up to New ORLEANS and we be traveling through Texas on I-10 afterwards. 

Fort Sam Houston, ARMY, has a very nice RV park. You will have to use the phone to make reservations.  Navy Gateways only does naval facilities campgrounds. Don't limit yourself or you will miss some very good campgrounds.   If you stop in the Houston area give a holler as we are only 40 miles South of Houston.

Enjoy your trip. Happy to see you traveling again.

45 minutes ago, abyrd said:

Where are you checking the generator output voltage, before or after the transfer switch? If you are checking after the transfer switch, the problem may be in the transfer switch.

Unfortunately if the problem is with the generator it is difficult to troubleshoot without the proper diagnostic tools.  About the only thing that you can do is a visual inspection of connections and any sign of burnt components or wiring.

Good luck.

Jim

I checked power output right at the generator and transfer switch. No power to either one. I flipped the breaker off and on at the generator and still no power. I haven't checked the breaker itself as there is a panel that has to be removed. 

Ray,

Do you have your Onan manual with you, if not I will go and get mine to determine if there any fuses for the generator internal controls.

Jim

Ray,

Just looked on line and there is procedure to recover fault codes from the start stop switch on you generator.  I think that would be a good starting point to determine your problem.

Jim

11 minutes ago, abyrd said:

Ray,

Do you have your Onan manual with you, if not I will go and get mine to determine if there any fuses for the generator internal controls.

Jim

I don't have Onan service book but I think a fuse may be under the panel. 

3 minutes ago, abyrd said:

Ray,

Just looked on line and there is procedure to recover fault codes from the start stop switch on you generator.  I think that would be a good starting point to determine your problem.

Jim

No fault code as light on panel is solid and engine run's fine. 

1 hour ago, Wayne77590 said:

Fort Sam Houston, ARMY, has a very nice RV park. You will have to use the phone to make reservations.  Navy Gateways only does naval facilities campgrounds. Don't limit yourself or you will miss some very good campgrounds.   If you stop in the Houston area give a holler as we are only 40 miles South of Houston.

Enjoy your trip. Happy to see you traveling again.

Thanks I will try them but not dry camping as generator is not working.  

Ray,

Just checked my manual only cause mentioned for no generator output when light is on is tripped circuit breaker.

The manual also mentions that fault codes will disappear after a given period of time,  you can recover the fault codes by pressing the stop button three times in a five second period.

The only mention of possible blown fuses is if the generator will not crank.

Hope this will help your cause.

JIm