huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

2 hours ago, huffypuff said:

Thanks I will try them but not dry camping as generator is not working.  

Let me know as the only gate to go in is off of the National Cemetery area for very easy access.

Coming in from the East I-10 to Loop 410/I-35N, exit Rittiman Road, Turn left on Rittiman. Stay in left hand lane and turn left at Harry Wurzbach Rd. Stay in left lane. Turn left on Winans Rd. just before the cemetery (Stop light at Winans.  Winans road is a B#@!%. Go slow and avoid the right hand side of the road. Stop if necessary if other cars come.  The right and side of Winans is terrible but the road is only about 500 yards or so long.  At the Stop sign turn right on Nursery Rd. and the gate will be ahead. Nursery Rd will make a left and go by the elementary school.  Next left will take you to the campground.

Do not try to use GPS as it will want to take you to the Petroleum Rd. gate which is closed and locked.

There is no boondocking at Fort Sam.  There is at Lackland but trust me. Fort Sam RV Park is superior for spacing and access to everything.

Happy trails.

OK I gave in and rented a 2000 watt generator. I couldn't hook it directly to the coach because the coach protection device sense a open ground from the generator. I was smart enough the bring a extension cord with 3ends and a battery charger. Now to charge the battery till quiet time then use for breakfast tomorrow morning. 

On 1/8/2017 at 4:32 PM, Wayne77590 said:

Let me know as the only gate to go in is off of the National Cemetery area for very easy access.

Coming in from the East I-10 to Loop 410/I-35N, exit Rittiman Road, Turn left on Rittiman. Stay in left hand lane and turn left at Harry Wurzbach Rd. Stay in left lane. Turn left on Winans Rd. just before the cemetery (Stop light at Winans.  Winans road is a B#@!%. Go slow and avoid the right hand side of the road. Stop if necessary if other cars come.  The right and side of Winans is terrible but the road is only about 500 yards or so long.  At the Stop sign turn right on Nursery Rd. and the gate will be ahead. Nursery Rd will make a left and go by the elementaruy school.  Next left will take you to the campground.

Do not try to use GPS as it will want to take you to the Petroleum Rd. gate which is closed and locked.

There is no boondocking at Fort Sam.  There is at Lackland but trust me. Fort Sam RV Park is superior for spacing and access to everything.

Happy trails

Huffy puff with dang phone ??

Made reservations at Fort Sam for 20 - 23 with hookups  Return ed the generator at 95% batteries charged. Leaving here tomorrow morning fo Fort Myers with hookup. That is the way I keep it until I get home to Washington. Then I will send the coach to a Onan Cummins shop. for generator repair. 

I took the entrance door apart today and installed the outside handle. Found nothing wrong with the old handle but found lots of adjustment and needed spray grease could fix. Works great now and DW is Happy. 

If you are going to be in the San Antonio area why not call Texas Custom Coach and see if they can help you. 10498 TX-16, Pipe Creek, TX 78063, texascustomcoach.com, (830) 510-4224 There is also Cummins Southern Plains LLC, 6226 I-35, San Antonio, TX 78218, cummins-sp.com, (210) 655-5420

Bill

Huff,

The Cummins Service Center in San Antonio is 4.5 miles from the Fort Sam Houston RV Park.

The are located at:

6226 I-35, San Antonio, TX 78218

Phone: (210) 655-5420

If you are interested.

Ray.  Just read this trip from beginning.  Your on quite a trip!  Happy belated 2017.

Don't know where your at now, but there is a Cummins Coach Care in Houston, TX. take Loop 610N from I-10W to exit 23A and it will be on right side about a mile from Exit. Phone number 1-713-679-7722 direct to Service Dept.  I left there yesterday.

The other one in San Antonio is also a good shop.

Wayne, Hi.  Your being home is like me!  I have given up with the idea of telling some one to stop by...are you going to AZ?  I'm on the road now for 2 Rally's this month and one next month in Texas, then will be leaving the State the 23rd. got the Diesel Club Pre rally the 26th first. :D

Carl

Hi Carl,

We leave for Tucson the middle of February to meet up with a group.  After that it will be a leisurely trip back home.  Sometime late May or June we take the East Coast Trip.  Did the West Coast last year. Left May 14th and returned September 13th.

6 hours ago, Wayne77590 said:

Hi Carl,

We leave for Tucson the middle of February to meet up with a group.  After that it will be a leisurely trip back home.  Sometime late May or June we take the East Coast Trip.  Did the West Coast last year. Left May 14th and returned September 13th.

Are you leaving before or after Chandler? 

Bill

Hello we are now in Ft Myers and leaving for Pensacola in the morning.  When we got here a few days ago DW told me to start the generator and it will work and it did.  I had to explain about intermittent problems and it will not work when we need it and we need to stick to shore power.  I like the idea of stopping of recommended Cummins dealers but not if we will have days lost in a shop.  If I knew if the fix was simple that's fine but it could be the main windings and that could take awhile.  I could just as well wait until we get home and send to a local to me Cummings dealer.  I just hope we don't need to use it on the way home.  I will keep all updated when I can as I don't alway ha internet that works.  

29 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

Hello we are now in Ft Myers and leaving for Pensacola in the morning.  When we got here a few days ago DW told me to start the generator and it will work and it did.  I had to explain about intermittent problems and it will not work when we need it and we need to stick to shore power.  I like the idea of stopping of recommended Cummins dealers but not if we will have days lost in a shop.  If I knew if the fix was simple that's fine but it could be the main windings and that could take awhile.  I could just as well wait until we get home and send to a local to me Cummings dealer.  I just hope we don't need to use it on the way home.  I will keep all updated when I can as I don't alway ha internet that works.  

Are you scheduling your travel to be in Chandler for the rally? I know what spotty internet is like.^_^

Bill 

Puff, it sounds like a loose connection or a bad ground connection.  I don't have to tell you what to look for, but take a couple of hours and go thru your system.  I had an on/off problem with my 10Kw last September, it was a bad oil sensor and it would send info that it was low oil when in fact it was full, gen would stop running, after a couple of hours it would start again. No fun in 108 degrees from Roswell, NM to Bandera, TX.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:32 PM, Wayne77590 said:

Huffypuff says using broken app on his phone:

Arrived in Pensacola last night and ended up jammed tight between trees with only 30 arms and water. We barely have room to park the toad. It was hot and DW wanted to nuke some food so I started the generator to see if it will work. Not only did it work, it handle both AC and microwave at the same time. Anybody have a idea what kept the generator from producing electric for two days?  

We will be here for a few days then I have to figure how to unpark this thing without taking down any trees. 

Puff.  What goes in, will come back out...good luck on doing it in one piece! :lol:

When your generator problem started, was it in a campground or where you on the road driving?  I'm thinking a relay is going bad or a bad connection in your on/off switch in coach.

Carl

28 minutes ago, manholt said:

Puff.  What goes in, will come back out...good luck on doing it in one piece! :lol:

When your generator problem started, was it in a campground or where you on the road driving?  I'm thinking a relay is going bad or a bad connection in your on/off switch in coach.

Carl

I was dry camping in Key West and it went out after a couple of days. Engine ran fine not blinking codes had no voltage coming out of the generator connectors under the small right front cover.  I flipped the breaker on left front and got nothing. Yes I believe that it a relay or board. I don't know what cover to take off to see where the smoke came out. 

Puff, check the breakers on the generator. Take them out an ohm them and do a good visual of the area. They are exposed to the elements and I have heard of problems before. Also check your transfer switch for any signs of failure, it might not have switched over when it saw the generator on.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Puff, check the breakers on the generator. Take them out an ohm them and do a good visual of the area. They are exposed to the elements and I have heard of problems before. Also check your transfer switch for any signs of failure, it might not have switched over when it saw the generator on.

The transfer switch is fine as I didn't have voltage at the generator. I checked the breaker and flipped it on and off.  I checked all the screws at the transfer switch when I had the cover off. I need to take a large cover off to see more in the front of the generator.