huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

On 1/8/2017 at 3:32 PM, Wayne77590 said:

Let me know as the only gate to go in is off of the National Cemetery area for very easy access.

Coming in from the East I-10 to Loop 410/I-35N, exit Rittiman Road, Turn left on Rittiman. Stay in left hand lane and turn left at Harry Wurzbach Rd. Stay in left lane. Turn left on Winans Rd. just before the cemetery (Stop light at Winans.  Winans road is a B#@!%. Go slow and avoid the right hand side of the road. Stop if necessary if other cars come.  The right and side of Winans is terrible but the road is only about 500 yards or so long.  At the Stop sign turn right on Nursery Rd. and the gate will be ahead. Nursery Rd will make a left and go by the elementary school.  Next left will take you to the campground.

Do not try to use GPS as it will want to take you to the Petroleum Rd. gate which is closed and locked.

There is no boondocking at Fort Sam.  There is at Lackland but trust me. Fort Sam RV Park is superior for spacing and access to everything.

Happy trails.

I'm going to attempt this navigation tomorrow hopefully arriving before too late.  I'm going to call the rv park in the morning about late check in just in case.  going to be a long day tomorrow.  We will be there till the 23th.  

550 miles in one day?  Oh **** no!  God bless you if that's your plan.  You very well might need his blessing to make that kind of a trip unless you used to be an OTR trucker.

32 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

550 miles in one day?  Oh **** no!  God bless you if that's your plan.  You very well might need his blessing to make that kind of a trip unless you used to be an OTR trucker.

I drove 1,000 per day pulling a trailer with my Jeep when I was about 10 years younger.  I can do the time but max speed will be 65 mph so will take about 10 hours with a couple rest stops.  

Yep and you have to go through Houston. With rest stops and lunch I would calculate 11-12 hours. We need to start a pool on how long it will take.:lol:

Bill

Maybe I should have been more clear.  No way in "heck" I would do 1000 miles a day (at any age).  At this age it's simply not necessary under any circumstance I can imagine.  I travel for a living and my boss would never, and I mean never, ask me to drive 500 miles much less 1000 miles in 1 day.  Good luck to you but I think you may be bordering on nuts!

I generally like to keep it around 350+/-, but have on many occasions kicked it up to 550/600 ...longest was 753 miles, from Seattle, WA to Pendleton, OR. and then to Rock Springs, WY...2012.  Thankfully I had a week in Rock Springs...don't want to do that again!

Carl

Leaving too soon gives us a reason to return. We had the crayfish pizza with spicy white sauce this time. Have to return for the char fry oysters. 

Edited by huffypuff
Dang autocorrect.

Ray.  Did you talk to Cummins about your generator?  Keep the rubber on the road & have a safe trip! :)

WBill.  That trip, it's not the distance...it's the lousy I-10 in LA. and East TX.  I would go with 12 hours + getting in to CG! :(:o He will not be going thru Houston...just to Beltway 8 !

Carl

Interesting topic "how many miles in one day". I met a fellow FMCA member a few years ago in Williams AZ. When I told him I was driving 800 miles a day he laughed. He explained to me that he was a member of the 10/250 club. On the road by 10 and at the next stop by 2, no more than 250 miles :lol:. Nice guy can't remember his name but I still laugh about that.

Before we retired I would pound out 10s but now that we are retired it's nice to slow down and see the scenery go by. I do all the driving let the DW try once she scared the crap out of me.

19 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Before we retired I would pound out 10s but now that we are retired it's nice to slow down and see the scenery go by. I do all the driving let the DW try once she scared the crap out of me.

Haha :lol:

Route 90 in NO, then sun glare had us going s 35. Instead of n 35. Then we saw the school but y was supposed to after not before the school. At that point we unhooked and turned around. 

WOW What are you going to do with all that time?

I recommend a day trip to Fredericksburg to visit The National Museum of the Pacific War, 340 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624, pacificwarmuseum.org, (830) 997-8600.

They do have some good restaurants too. 

Bill

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray. Where are you at?  San Antonio?  You did not stay at 65mph!

True I also didn't go 75..? Three pit stops, lunch, pee and fuel.