huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

On 1/21/2017 at 11:54 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Huffy broken app on dumb phone

Now DW caught the same bug as me so we are both recoving.  The nights has been down the 20s so is using up the propane as the heat pump don't work at that low of temperature. We not sure when we leave here. 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:54 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

I'm doing better but DW is as bad as I was. I went out to fill the propane and diesel. Problem is I touched the r/r outer tire on a sharp pointed rock  and it put a hole in the sidewall.  Goodsam roadside assistance will send a tire but only have the 670 Goodyear.  I have to wait until Monday to get the Michelin. Can't drive this until tire is replaced.

It seems to come in three's!  Hope you have enough propane for furnace and cooking...Shame about the tire!

Carl

Hats off to Goodsam and T/A service for finding same tire as on this rig.  Goodsam promise to call early this morning and they did so at 6:30 AM.  T/A came out to replace the tire at 7:30 AM and we were on our way by 8:30 AM. Don't ask me how much it cost to get one tire replaced but I let you know  it was a expensive mistake.  Stay away from them rocky curbs on narrow roads.   

We are at Davis-Monthan AFB FamCamp dry camping until 02/01/2017.  To our surprise the generator is still working and hopefully for the two days.  We got a email from FMCA for Golden Village Palms in Hement, CA special and we decided to bite that for a week.  That will be from the 1st til the 7th.  From the 7th til the 14th we will be staying at Seabreeze RV Park, Seal Beach, CA.   Then it will be one more stop before home most likely 7 Feathers in OR.  

I'm feeling much better now but DW has a little ways to go.  We are calling it the 7 day bug.  

Puff, that's great news!  Stay warm and I'll cross my fingers on your generator...you might just have had a piece of dirt in your fuel line or the Gremlin died.  In any event, it's been fun reading about your journey!  Give Hana my best and hope she'll dance the jig soon! :lol:

Please, continue posting...:)

The generator only last one night and part of next morning before it quit making a/c voltage.  It ran all of the previous day with no problem and I turned it on 6:30 am and it worked fine to run the heaters to get the chill off.  DW started to make coffee and the generator quit working.  I called Golden Valley Palms and ask to come a day early.  We got the go ahead and got out of the campsite at 9:30 AM but they wanted us there before 6:00 PM.  Of course we tried the generator again at the first rest stop and it came on and worked fine with two a/c and microwave running. 

We got there before 5:00 PM and got checked in and had a young lady to guide me to our spot.  That is when the coming fiasco started.  She took me to my spot and sat in her golf cart where I needed to start to back in.  I waited until her patience ran out and she drove up to the coach to tell me when I need to pull the coach to back in.  She wanted me to be at the middle of the street.  I pulled the coach to my side of the street and got out to get DW to watch me.  The young lady came over and told me that I may take out a light pole or something if I back from my side of the street.  I had to explain to her that if I back the coach from where she wants that when I turn the wheel that the front of the coach will swing across the street and wipe out the light pole and maybe a couple of coaches with it.   

DW came over and we got the coach backed once in then a second to put it where we needed it.   The young lady wasn’t happy as wheels on the right side were on concrete.  We were told to move it over so all of the wheels are on the gravel.  I told her that I didn’t think there is enough room for the slides but will move it.  I reposition the coach to back to the left and was about a foot from a canopy on the property line with the left rear of the coach.  I heard the neighbor scream stop, you are going to hit it.  He had the lady come over while I confirm with my wife that I was a foot away.  I explained to both of them that the wheel was turn and the back will swing away instead of hitting.   I back slowly just enough to show them that it will swing away.  Now I am frustrated and so is DW.  I told the lady I didn’t think there is enough room for the front slide but she told me to back straight back where I was.  I asked my wife if it was ok to back her and the neighbor said to back up.  I got three feet and I ended backing into to the water pipe sending water two feet in the air.  That’s what happens when you get too much help and distraction.  DW knew the pipe was there but forgot about it because of all the extra attention. 

I pulled the coach forward and there was talk about moving to another spot but I didn’t want to as we had enough for the night.  I told the young lady that I have to move the coach back to the spot I had in the first place.  In the meantime the coach is pulled with the front in the street until emergency repair is made.  Water had to be shut off for all on the street and the pipe repaired where it broke off at the threads.  Lucky that process only took an hour and nobody got mad at me for it but DW felt very bad about it.  When the maintenance person told me when the young lady told me to move over that she didn’t realize that someone added to the concrete pad.    I took a look and noticed 2 feet added to the left side of the pad.  I was in the right place the first time UGGGGGG!  I don’t know what training this young lady had but she should not be trying to help anyone back into their space

Nice to have a new story to tell around the fire!  Nobody, and I mean nobody, backs me up except my wife.  At FMCA and similar rallies the volunteers insist that they park us.  I don't move.  I won't move.  I send out Janet and have her ask where they want us parked.  They insist they will park me.  I just sit.  She wants to know where they want me parked to which they usually, finally reply.  They stay there and make random motions with their arms as to where I should be going but I am watching my wife's instructions and the wife's instructions alone.  That volunteer has no vested interest in my coach and if something goes wrong "oops" does not feed the bulldog.

53 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

Nice to have a new story to tell around the fire!  Nobody, and I mean nobody, backs me up except my wife.  At FMCA and similar rallies the volunteers insist that they park us.  I don't move.  I won't move.  I send out Janet and have her ask where they want us parked.  They insist they will park me.  I just sit.  She wants to know where they want me parked to which they usually, finally reply.  They stay there and make random motions with their arms as to where I should be going but I am watching my wife's instructions and the wife's instructions alone.  That volunteer has no vested interest in my coach and if something goes wrong "oops" does not feed the bulldog.

Ask Carl what he thinks about parkers.:o

Bill

Bill A,

I agree with you I only follow my wife's instructions > Usually we end up with her telling the Parkers more than once " I will Park him he doesn't like any one else's instructions " and I won't.

Michael

On 1/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Bills and Michael that is what I told the young lady but she claimed that I was breaking a rule by having tires on concrete. Later I found out she was wrong about that also as it was added concrete by temporary resident. Wayne I can't wait to hear your story. 

Okay, I was in a campground, Military at that, and I found out that my slide would not come in.  I had to leave in 4 days.  I called around and called around and no one wanted to go through the policies of getting through the main gate. We left the CG in the toad and on the way back I saw a mobile repair unit and stopped and asked if they worked on slides. Yes was the answer and that is when I had to deal with the help.

I went to the office and told them that my slide would not come in and I was awaiting part, that I couldn't move and needed at 3 or 4 day extension. The young person said, "You have to move, we have that spot reserved."  I told them that I couldn't move because my slide would not come in. They said, "The thingy that comes out and give you shade?"  "No, the slide." I told them that I could not move the MH with the slide out.  There were two other "helpers" there and none of them could grasp what I was trying to tell them. Trust me, I did my best to explain that the slide gave me extra room when we were parked.  I also told them that there was no commercial tow truck in the world that would tow me down the street with a slide out, and I explained the reasons why.  These helpers just could not fathom what I was trying to tell them.  Finally they called the manager, which I asked for a couple times.  The manager came out and I tried explaining my situation but it was like a deer caught in headlights.  The manager did get on the computer and said that I could have 2 extra days. 

Heck, I tool the two days and would deal with the situation if parts and repairs were not done.  I contacted the parts supplier and they second day aired the slide motor and I paid the cost.  I could just picture one of those 20 ton military wreckers coming down and hauling my butt out of there...what a disaster that would have been.

I think all campgrounds should have a basic walk around familiarization course for any people that work in that campground. It's kind of dumb having people work there that don't know a TT from a 5th wheel or a MH, and how the lengths and widths fit into spots.

Anyhow many of the helpers at the CGs don't know their apples from their oranges when dealing with RVs.

I'm with the others. There is only one person that directs me.  If there is a helper out there I totally ignore them and watch my DWs expert directions.  I also have audio on the back-up camera and I learned the first time backing up that Whoa means stop. Must be a Texas thing.

Puff, sorry to hear!! People don't get the nose swing of a DP, they just can't process how it acts when you back up. You guys have it made, my DW backs me over stuff :o. She was guiding me into a spot at a Campground, she motions me to keep coming and she yells STOP. I stop, hop out and I'm on top of the fire pit, well the pit is now level with the ground, one of those large ones with the flip up grille. No coach damage but I was steaming, then she blames it on me for not paying attention. So now I hop out look around and back in, she still helps but at that moment two years ago I knew and know now I am really on my own. 

3 hours ago, Jrock said:

I love when a CG advertises "BIG RIG FRENDLY" and then you have to do rv acrobatics to get in.

YUP, if you ask 95% are "big rig friendly" in reality 50% truly are :angry:.

I now use Google earth for an aerial view and youtube, you would be surprised how many campgrounds have had a drone fly over and you get a great perspective on the size inside.

11 hours ago, huffypuff said:

The biggest mistake most so called big rig rv park do is plant big branches trees next to the road.  

That and the streets and entrance to the site aren't wide enough to make the turn in my CR-V much less motorhome. Trees you can see but rocks in deep grass on the to narrow corner that you can't see.:(

Bill 

Found that out was pulling into a site last summer and while navigating a narrow road slow I stoped moving and when I put the fog to it couldn't move got out cursing that I sank in to soft shoulder found one of those boulders hiding in high grass tire was on it like a chock block 

Heading home, the electrical problem got worse. Now I'm worried that the generator may damage the transfer switch. 

Also having trouble with the water pump again