huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

Yes the snap disc wiring is 18 gauge or less so a low amp wall thermostat would work.  I'm not going to work on it in sub-freezing weather as it follow us to Charlotte, NC  

Had to make a unscheduled  stop at Blue Beacon Truck Wash late yesterday afternoon.  $53 well spent for both the coach and toad.   Got caught on snowy roads in DE and MD.  Clean up in NC

truckwash1.jpg

truckwash2.jpg

On 12/29/2017 at 8:15 PM, abyrd said:

Puff,

Did you take route 13 down the eastern shore of VA?  I was born in Nassawadox, VA, still have cousins back there.  I had facebook message this AM from one of them and they has snow.

Drive safe,  54 degrees today in Cathlamet.

JIm

No we took 322 to 50 down throught DE and MD and across bay bridge.  Then we ended on 95 right at the bottom of DC then to Richmond VA.  We follow 95 to 85 which took us to Charlotte, NC.  We heard about the bad weather on the island during the week and 40 cars in the ditch on Camano Hill Road.  That road is less than 4 miles long.

On the 1st we went to Pensacola NAS and spent the night on the dock with generator running.  The cold from the NE followed us so we were smart enough to plug in the heater in the basement.  When we checked in both camp grounds there suffer frozen water pipes but was able to get it going again during the day when it warmed up.  We kept the heater in the basement going the next night as the cold was to go to 25 F. 

Then we headed for a 2 day trip to Fort Hood, TX and ended staying at the campground near Belton, TX.  We had no sewer there and was already two days on the road.  We conserve water use for 5 more days until we go to NAS Corpus Christi.   

We got to NAS Corpus Christi OK and was behind a 18 wheeler that drifted off I-37 and hit the guardrail.  I have the video saved to the laptop from the dash cam.  I posted it on facebook but may also youtube.  I went to the left as he went to the right and lucky wasn't in too much danger.  

It was 74 f today but windy, tomorrow supposed to be the same and then clear up.  

Ray.

We left Harlingen, TX. 2 days ago, windy it was, but also 72 at 10am, got to Linda's Barnominium and Camp in Three Rivers, nice and warm at 76.  Yesterday morning we had dense fog and cold, left at 10am in 52 degree and got to the ranch in Burnet, TX. at 2pm & 50!  Cold front coming and I'll be back in low 20's again....Please, no more snow! :wacko: 

There is one where I-75 & The loop join, just South of Atlanta.  If you clean up in NC, Just South of the Wilson Exit on I-95, you have Wilson trucking.

3 hours ago, hobart said:

which blue beacon did you use? we will be going down for perry and seems like we always get caught in slop that time of year.

The one I used was on I-85 north of Charlotte, NC 

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray.

We left Harlingen, TX. 2 days ago, windy it was, but also 72 at 10am, got to Linda's Barnominium and Camp in Three Rivers, nice and warm at 76.  Yesterday morning we had dense fog and cold, left at 10am in 52 degree and got to the ranch in Burnet, TX. at 2pm & 50!  Cold front coming and I'll be back in low 20's again....Please, no more snow! :wacko: 

Foggy this morning but supposed to clear out and be 78 f this afternoon.  

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

Are you going to post the video?

When the accident happen, I said the s word.  I will try to post but may be taken down.

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

You need to block out the sound, just show the footage :P. Glad you weren't a part of the mess.

All I know how to do is post the dash cam.  Maybe Brett knows how to block the sound.  DW and I had discussion about calling 911 as I believe that driver needed to be taken off the road and DW said none of our business.  I hit the brakes and change lanes to stay out of the mess then got behind him and saw no plates.  :angry:

FILE0053.MOV

Looks like the file has to be downloaded to view.  5 minutes long with the truck coming into view about 1.5 minutes.  Don't download if you are offended by the oh s word.  

24 minutes ago, jleamont said:

WOW! Looks like his phone was more important than driving.... That could have been much worse :blink:

Especially if he would of jackknife in the left lane as brakes on my rig and toad only go so far.   

I got off at a fuel stop at exit 56 and he got off to the same station.  There was lots of police on the overpass for construction and I'm guessing that he didn't want to drive by them.  He walked around his truck to check damage then got back in and drove off.  The damaged I seen was front bumper loose and about t fall off and pushed close to right front tire and damaged rims on trailer. I guess if you have no license or plates you don't care about anything else.  The police was called at mile marker 71 and appears he will get away scott free as he continue to travel south.  

We got assaulted (as-salted)

The wind blew from the north up to 60 MPH last night here at NAS Corpus Christi.   Enough for us to bring the slides in and close all vents and windows.  The days before we left Fort Hood area I wiped down the coach and toad so it will be pristine arriving here which it mostly was.  

The wind left a coating of salt on the exterior of both the coach toad.  Now I have to start from scratch wash and dry as that salt can not be good for the paint.   

The only time the wind doesn't blow at NAS CC is in August and trust me, you are better off at home then in CC in August. Can you say HOT.