huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

Puff, what camera are you running now? I still am using the same one you recommended a few years ago. DW was asking....

7 hours ago, jleamont said:

Puff, what camera are you running now? I still am using the same one you recommended a few years ago. DW was asking....

The dash cam I'm using is about 5 year old and working well but one side of WS mount broke off.  Called vehicle black box xzz 500HD.  

Ok, I think that's the same one we have. You recommended it a few years ago, i bought it, we still have it. DW was wondering if you upgraded. Ours was having problems over the summer in the heat. Works now....

9 hours ago, manholt said:

Why not use a sport's cam?

A sports cam don't necessary have gps date to show speed and location of your vehicle.  There is also software that has something like google maps to show where you are on the map if there is any question in court.   

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Ray.  Good points!  So what should I look for?  Front and back!

Front only, HD with GPS data.  Easy to download to computer and software to show street data if needed.  

Update now that I got some wifi.  We arrived to Davis Monthan AFB on the 17th and dry camped until yesterday.  Finally into much warmer weather.  Last cold we had was in a I-10 rest stop in Texas just east of El Paso, TX.  It was in the 20 F overnight but somehow the basement heat work so no frozen pump lines.  

While dry camping here I installed a Rock Solid rock guard off the rear bumper.  I feel it will do a better job than the factory one that folds up hits the frame on bumps and dips.  I haven't taken the old one off yet.  I don't think it will be a good thing to throw it in the dumpster on the base.  

We are having trouble with one slide breaking a bolt with nut, washers and bolt all grade 8.  The connector from the motor gearbox to the rear gear is a square slip tube with one bolt hole on each end.  One hole on that tube is elongated appears to work the bolt till it breaks.  Maybe I can spray the gears and tracks to help it along.  Maybe call HR tech support whoever the heck they are now.  Maybe they have a solution or a better connector.  

When dry camping I had problems with the generator stalling.  That is not a problem I had before.  Each time I had to prime to restart.  When I had the coach serviced by Freightliner on 11/29 I had the generator serviced with oil and both filters.  I got under the coach and found the fitting from the fuel pump on the fuel filter not tight enough.  The fitting, bottom of the filter and access door was wet with diesel fuel.  I tighten down that fitting to solve the problem which it did.  

So far no major problem that I can't handle on my own.  Next big stop will be Seabreeze Navy Seals Beach in CA on the 30th of this month.  We have a pull through site reserved there. 

Ray, I have the same set up on my DS slide as you and had the same problem...when I get back to rig,  I'll send you the info.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, huffypuff said:

We are having trouble with one slide breaking a bolt with nut, washers and bolt all grade 8.  The connector from the motor gearbox to the rear gear is a square slip tube with one bolt hole on each end.  One hole on that tube is elongated appears to work the bolt till it breaks.  Maybe I can spray the gears and tracks to help it along.   

Lubing everything can't hurt. 

Can you get strait on the hole that is wallowed out? What size is the bolt and what size is the hole? How much edge distance do you have around the hole?

Normally I would say to just ream the hole up to the next standard size. However the bolt appears to be used as shear pin in this application. Is that the case? 

Can you take a picture?

Bill

Below is a picture of the coupler that listed as driveshaft.  Because the shaft hole was elongated, I install a bolt tight to the transmission shaft and that was part of the problem.  If you look at the picture you can see its a adjustable shaft with a 1/4 inch bolt on each end.  There is suppose  to be a little slack on both bolts inside that driveshaft with a locknut to prevent over tighten.  Otherwise it will work the bolt until it breaks. They could be shear pins to protect the transmission and gear shafts.  I would not try to drill the  hole larger in the shaft as it would make them weaker.  The driveshafts is not available but the good news is I can fix the old one.  I will cut off about a inch to remove the damage part of the shaft and redrill he hole. The drive shave is adjustable from 15 to 28 inches long and the length I need is about 18 inches.  I have to wait until I get home so I can use a vice  and drill press so everything is straight.  

driveshaft.jpg.165c05fd3c67f0f2ca88c492182ed861.jpg

Edited by huffypuff
formatting problem

On 1/24/2018 at 6:50 AM, manholt said:

Ray, I have the same set up on my DS slide as you and had the same problem...when I get back to rig,  I'll send you the info.

22 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Lubing everything can't hurt. 

Can you get strait on the hole that is wallowed out? What size is the bolt and what size is the hole? How much edge distance do you have around the hole?

Normally I would say to just ream the hole up to the next standard size. However the bolt appears to be used as shear pin in this application. Is that the case? 

Can you take a picture?

Bill

To answer both of your questions, please check the above post.  I do use the spray white on the gears I can get to.  

This is about the best dry film lube I have found. John Deere Original Equipment Lubricant Spray #TY25797

This is good because it is dry film and won't attract dirt. Look on Amazon.;)

Bill

I took a picture of the replacement rock guard.  This one is supposed to cut down on the dirt and splashes to the tow vehicle. It supposed to allow plenty of air flow under the coach.  We will see how well it works.  The old rock guard didn't do what it was supposed to do and is easily damaged.  

rock_guard.jpg

Ray, I had one on my Bart and it worked good.  They where used a long time before the coach industry found another way to advertise!!!  Thank You, I had completely forgotten about them!

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray, I had one on my Bart and it worked good.  They where used a long time before the coach industry found another way to advertise!!!  Thank You, I had completely forgotten about them!

Advertising is correct with the one I took off. It flashed HR Holiday Rambler in polished stainless steel to all that drove behind me. 

Another year, another misadventure in the horizon.  The coach is repaired again and everything is working.  We made it to SAM's Family Spas in Desert Hot Springs, CA with only one mishaps on the way.  Seems like DW wanted to use a designer windshield cover on the two vehicle instead of the harbor freight furniture moving cover we was using.  The designer cover blew off going through a summit leaving it's tether straps still in the doors.   

To check in to SAM's Family Spas, we had to fill out a credit app before we are allowed to stay.  I guess that is meant to keep certain parties out.  We are going to stay here until Jan 19, 2020 and then go to Quartzite AZ for a week.  We plan to go to Davis Monthan AFB near Tucson, AZ for the rest of February. 

I'm getting brave enough right now  to try using the awning  🤔 

I will be catching the western rally about January 10th day pass only.  It is in Indio, CA every year, well at least the last few years.   

2 hours ago, manholt said:

So, your not sticking around Tucson for FMCA Winter Rally in March.  Where you headed after Tucson?

OK we had the first thing to break.  DW wanted to check and make sure that Suzie the kitty didn't craw under the step cover.  She pulled out on the laminate plank I attached to the end of cover with 1/2 inch brads that's not long enough and it came off.  I have to pick up a few 3/4 trim nails and reattach it.  Suzie was somehow in  behind / under the jackknife loveseat.  She is like Houdini and escape the cat harness DW put on her.  

Do you noticed that I took the blame that the plank came off, never DW fault?  😁

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Tell DW you should have used 3/4 to begin with...anything else, will come back to haunt you 5 + years from now!

Oh no,, I won't go there.  You know the saying, happy wife, happy life.  

I been busy lately making repairs between the enjoyment of my visit here in southern CA.  Regluing joints on about 6 cabinet doors>  I can only do two doors at a time as I only have budget 4 clamps.  They have to dry overnight before reinstalling on the cabinets. 

Christmas eve we had to put up with a bit of wind overnight.  ShadePro didn't reinstalled the center pin in the long slide topper cover and the wind had the metal rattling so loud I had to get the ladder out at 3am put some weight to stop the noise.  Today I took it apart and put it back together right so I can survive the next wind storm.  

The awning is still untrustworthy as I ran it out a little and noticed a rip in the short fabric between the awning metal cover and the roof.  I guess I will contact ShadePro to get that fixed.  

Always something to fix.