huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

12 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Ray,

The next time you decide that you might sell the coach, "Don't tell it". I think you may have hurt it's feelings and it is just getting even with you.  :D

Herman

HA, you beat me to it! I was thinking the same :lol:

Now at Seven Feathers in Canyonville, OR on our last stop before home.  We had a good long trip but cancel the last stop for a week in Long Beach, CA as it suppose to rain all week.  Might as well go home to the cold and rain/snow at home.  

The water pump problem is the pressure switch starts smoking if w leave the switch on.  I'm hoping to find a water pump head complete without motor.  I think it's a shurflo with the pressure switch and pump in one assembly.  

The transfer switch or EMS get confused and don't turn off when the generator failed.  When gets plugged into shore power it resets fine and turn off fine afterwards.  Just not use the generator and use the inverted in a pinch. No fun not being allowed to repair your own coach when at rv parks.  Since we are going home it may be summer before it's warm enough to work on.  :P

17 hours ago, jleamont said:

HA, you beat me to it! I was thinking the same :lol:

OK you guys, if this keeps up DW will make me sell it.  :unsure:

Bill.  What coach could Ray upgrade to, that is better than what he's got? :huh:B)

Fix generator and he's good to go...beat's most of the POS's that was built after 2007. :P

Carl

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Bill.  What coach could Ray upgrade to, that is better than what he's got? :huh:B)

Fix generator and he's good to go...beat's most of the POS's that was built after 2007. :P

Carl

I was thinking about a pre 2007 Foretravel or Newell or do you consider them POS's too?

Bill

We got home last Thursday after driving through foggy clouds and heavy rain bad enough that you can't see. I was hoping it would wash the coach clean but nope it's more dirty. 

Got the fresh water pump out and verified the pump head pressure regulator is bad. Order the pump head from flee bay for $35 plus $7.50 shipping. That will be soon fixed. 

I took the front and top cover off the generator to check for loose connection and to check breaker. The breaker checks out good so I put new screws and star washers on it. Still does  the same and only put out 120 volts whenever it wants not when we need it. There is a service contract on it until November so we better get it to the Cummins Onan shop soon. 

Ray.  Sure glad to find out you made it back to Island safe!  I have taken notice off all the storm systems that are coming in on the West coast...lot's of rain/snow!  At least CA. got more than enough water and snow pack to last them some.   Pump fix is cheap enough.  Please keep us posted on Generator, when you know something.

Bill, no they are not POS's!  But not everyone can afford one!  Not saying Ray can or can't, but I can imagine he has enough on his mind with Hana's health. :)

Carl

Got the fresh water pump head Thursday and got it in during the weekend. That problem is solved as it works perfectly. 

Took the coach to Cummins in Renton, WA this morning for generator repair. They called me this afternoon and told me the generator has to be removed from the coach before an estimate could be made and that will cost $750. I told them that since the service contract is going to foot most of the bill they need to talk to them about how to proceed. Looks like this is going to be fun. 

Interesting !  I guess all Cummins are not the same!  When I had mine removed for new bushings, it was after diagnostics!  My bill was $900, -10% for removal, replacement and installing again!  South Plain Cummins, Houston, TX.

Looking forward to hearing what they come up with?

Carl 

Cummins NW of Renton called today and said that the inverter and wiring harness to it inside is fried.  Total cost is $3,800 and is a covered repair.  I told them that since it is out to slap a belt on it and check other maintenance items.   I don't know how much of the bill will be mine.  

We got the coach back today and the generator is like new again.  Cummins NW explained what happen was a bad connection at the inverter wiring harness and burnt the inverter.  Explain why it would work after it failed completely then fail again.  Came to a point it couldn't take a load at all so it had to have a new inverter and harness.  I had them put a new belt on it since they had it out and check the condition of anything else.  Most of the bill was covered by ExtraRide and was a relief.   I think of the few things I used the EasyRide on I came out ahead on the 60-month contract.  

Everything is fixed on the coach and is ready for spring trip in April.  As for the contract with EasyRide, I don't know if they would want to renew my coach as five years later it's a much bigger risk.  

Ray.  I would expect that they will renew contract for at least 3 years, but it may cost you more for the premium! :(

Nice to hear that it all worked out for you and your good to go again. :D  Where are you two headed to in April ?

Carl

16 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray.  I would expect that they will renew contract for at least 3 years, but it may cost you more for the premium! :(

Nice to hear that it all worked out for you and your good to go again. :D  Where are you two headed to in April ?

Carl

We will be getting with our chapter Pacers NW  here in Washington.

Herman.  You been up all night ? :rolleyes:

What I got was a lot of marathon driving, not much sightseeing, a generator that did/didn't work, the flue and a oops!  :o^_^:wacko: 

Carl

17 hours ago, manholt said:

Herman.  You been up all night ? :rolleyes:

What I got was a lot of marathon driving, not much sightseeing, a generator that did/didn't work, the flue and a oops!  :o^_^:wacko: 

Carl

Carl the marathon driving was at the end of the tour when things started breaking. We want to get home as we couldn't dry camp with broken generator and fresh water pump. Can't microwave at rest stops and even flush the toilet if we can't find a rest stop. You know how many of those rest stops are closed?  

I forgot about the cold we had. Must be better now. We had a couple of oops, one with a tire and a sharp rock on a curb and another being guided over a water pipe. 

We did get some sightseeing done and put about 9500 miles on the coach on this 75 days holiday misadventure. 

On 2/26/2017 at 4:57 AM, Hermanmullins said:

Ray,

Reading this entire Post I have come to the conclusion that if it weren't for "Miss Adventures" you wouldn't have any Adventures at all.:lol:    :D    :lol: 

Herman

:lol:

I dragged this post out of the archive because we are going to hit the road again this coming Saturday for another misadventure.  Everything is fixed from last time and freshly serviced new filters fuel and oil front and rear.  Serviced batteries and all appliance and generator tested OK.     The water heater flame is a little fussy staying lit the first time but is golden afterward.   All lights are goods and aired up the tire.  DW is loading what she wants to take including wine.  Tuffy heard the  motorhome start up and he been in hiding for the rest of the day.   He never stayed out more than a day and we need to find him before we leave.  We are going to travel to the east coast this year.  

Ray, you need to teach Tuffy to read, then he would be to busy deciphering the above goobly goop, that caust my eyes to cross, no time for him to run away!:lol:  Watch out for sleet, slush, ice and snow...Good Luck!

Have a Merry Christmas!