huffypuff

Our Holiday Travel Misadventure-- So Far

Mine has three wires coming thru the wall + red -black. and white that turns red lamp on in coach to indicated heater is on.

Jim

Ray, the thermal switch used in the Atwood furnaces might work, they are set to open at 190 degrees.High temp coated wire and some creativity.

I feel real bad, you drive all the  way to the East coast and its like we are yelling at you to go back home. The temperatures are not expected to get out of the teens for the next 10 to 15 days and into the single digits - some with a mines in front of them up around the great lakes.

We got through Christmas and it is now to cold to pack the coach - no quick departure for the sand and sun for a few days.

Travel safe.

Rich.  

Puff, not sure where warmer is, it was in the 20's in TX today when I called to book next summer's trip to New Mexico :o. Perhaps visit the family you came out there to see and head for FL, good chance you drop low enough you'll find some warmth.

If you need some help PM me, I'm around 1.5 hours north, that coach wont fit in the garage but have tools you might need along with an extra set of hands if it gets to that point.

Ray.  Good to hear from you!  Was starting to wonder if  you guys was 2 stiff's on the side of a road.  Cat has a fur coat. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, abyrd said:

It need to be rated for 25 amps 12 volt

Jim

Or just use it to control a relay carrying the load.

12 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Or just use it to control a relay carrying the load.

Yup, thinking the same thing.  I would not run full heater current through the "smart switch". Just use it as a switch to close a RELAY. 40 amp 12 VDC relays are less than $10.

Bay heater is now working,  found loose/corroded connect on snap action thermostat that is mounted on bulkhead in water compartment.

The thermostat operating temperatures are:  Heater on 40 F off 50 F per data found in owners manual.

Jim

On 12/27/2017 at 3:28 PM, jleamont said:

We have one of these that controls all lower bay heat functions, maybe retro fit one of these?

White Rodger makes a 2 terminal one for garage and barn use that goes down to 35 F.  It is simple and would be simple to installed.  I have to go through the process to be sure that is what the problem is.  Jumping the "snap disc"  and if it turns on problem found.  

7 hours ago, abyrd said:

Bay heater is now working,  found loose/corroded connect on snap action thermostat that is mounted on bulkhead in water compartment.

The thermostat operating temperatures are:  Heater on 40 F off 50 F per data found in owners manual.

Jim

I may have same problem

We decided to leave Dover AFB and the cold snap here is colder than usual.  Been in the teens lately with 8 f coming in on Sunday so we are leaving early.  There is snow forecast for tomorrow so we will leave in the morning.   We have been doing well keeping everything thawed out so far.  We are going back to Charlotte Motor Speedway for a couple of days then to FL.  

Good idea Puff! 17 degrees here now. I'm making homemade chicken soup tomorrow and I plan on not doing much else but looking out the window at the snow falling :huh:

Puff,

Did you take route 13 down the eastern shore of VA?  I was born in Nassawadox, VA, still have cousins back there.  I had facebook message this AM from one of them and they has snow.

Drive safe,  54 degrees today in Cathlamet.

JIm

Ray, stay warm and safe...you'll have a cold front starting Monday, we are expecting 22/29 and wind for first 3 days of 2018...In the hill country of Texas, that's unheard of !

Global warming, where?

Carl, There is a reason it's colder if you think about it.

Warm summer and the big lakes got warmer then nominal this past summer. Got to think that the real big ponds are also a little warmer and with hot air being lighter then cold air. That leaves the door wide open for the cold air to drop in.  

Regarding the Great Lakes - areas around them are setting record snow levels. 

Hope that I mixed  enough 911 into the diesel on the last fill up and fuel filter change. Will also fined out if the block heater will do it's job. 

Then there is the job of removing any snow build up off the top of the coach, if we need to stop because of weather. The state police do not take kindly to snow and ice flying off the roof of any large vehicle. 

Rich. 

44 minutes ago, DickandLois said:

Then there is the job of removing any snow build up off the top of the coach, if we need to stop because of weather. The state police do not take kindly to snow and ice flying off the roof of any large vehicle. 

Rich. 

Rich,

We had a Rally in Burleson, just south of Ft. Worth, TX. We had an Ice Storm topped with Snow. Folks were finally able to get on the road by Wednesday morning. One fellow was driving home which was less the 50 miles. The ice on the top of his coach flew off and landed on top of his hood and windshield. The hood and windshield both had to be replaced and repaired. State police have a good reason for not taking kindly to flying ICE.

Stay Safe and Warm.

Herman

Rich, my coach only has maybe 20 gallons or so of winter mix Diesel in it, plus a bottle of Power Service treatment and biocide. I'm betting it's cloudy :(. On a positive note I'm not turning on the key until March. With temperatures this low I won't exercise the generator or Aqua Hot, not until we get into the mid to upper 30's.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, abyrd said:

It need to be rated for 25 amps 12 volt

Jim

My previous post is incorrect,  when trouble shooting I found that the thermostat (snap switch) is in the control circuit not the power circuit.

The control circuit is protected by a 5 A fusible wire, the power circuit in protected by 30 A auto reset circuit breaker.  Heater and controls are 12 V DC.

Jim