Sign in to follow this  
geraldlanc

Water Pressure

I have a pressure regulator set at 50 psi for the motorhome which gives me acceptable water pressure for the shower etc. But, when I use the coaches water pump (water from the tank), the water pressure is considerably higher (the water almost peels my skin off ). Do I have the regulator set too low, or maybe the water pump is set too high. I have been told that 40 psi is safe for the plumbing, but the water flow is way too slow for a decent shower at that level. Maybe I could boost my pressure up to 60 or 70 psi?

Gerald

Gerald,

What water pump do you have?

Never heard of an RV water pump being set that high.

Is this high pressure a recent thing, or has it always been that high?

Also, have you removed the shower head to check for minerals restricting pressure-- you should have sufficient water flow, even at 40 PSI?

The pump is a ShurFlow and the pressure difference was that way when I bought the coach 3 months ago. The shower head is not restricted and the other faucets are not either. There is sufficient flow and pressure from "shore" water, but with the pump on, the pressure is really strong as you might have in a stick/brick home. I may try installing a pressure gauge at the water pump.

Gerald

Most water pressure regulators will also restrict the flow rate. I think this is what you are experiencing since you are happy with the water flow from your pumps but not from shore connection running through the regulator. I have found the same thing so I use the regulator to fill my tanks and use my pumps to take a shower!

However, there are some better pressure regulators that do not restrict the flow as much. The most popular units are made by Watts and allow you to connect this in your system and get both the correct pressure plus good water flow.

I have owned and worked on many many RV systems over the years and currently own a 2008 Allegro bus diesel pusher and I have never ever seen a aqua or surflo water pump in a RV ever ever come close to peeling ones skin off?

OK, I exaggerated a little on the peeling skin thing. After some searching in the bays, I discovered what looks like a built in pressure reducer that is not adjustable and preset to a mere 40 psi. I was told the coach had one, just didn't know where it was or if I should trust it which is why I decided to install an adjustable regulator on the outdoor water faucet. It is set at 50 psi. If I disconnect the OEM regulator which is electric, and let the adjustable unit control the pressure I should get better water pressure. I still don't understand why the pump gives so much more pressure. It has a label that I can barely read, but may be set at 55 psi? Why would it be at so much higher pressure? If the plumbing can tolerate 55 psi why not just bypass the OEM regulator and set the other to 55 psi?

Gerald

I have had my motor home Watts whole house regulator set to 65 psi for years. That pressure is fine according to Winnebago.
They test the plumbing to 85 psi and the pex supply tubing can stand a lot more.
Most home style fixtures are rated to 85 psi - don't know about RV fixtures. I know they will handle 65 psi though.

At my S&B home in CO the Watts regulator is set to 65 psi. A year after we bought the house I found that the regulator in place had malfunctioned and was allowing the full 135 psi town supply pressure into the house plumbing. I have no idea how long the regulator had been bad but the plumbing and fixtures handled it okay.
With my shower head set on pulsate pounding on the back of neck, I did have some great showers before we replaced the regulator though.

Some of the water connections in Motor homes are rubber hose so be careful with more than 55 pressure!! And if going away for the whole day or more turn off the park MH water pressure. Seen too many unit over the years with water pouring out of bay doors.