Sign in to follow this  
JohnQFWB

Upgrading to DirecTV HD

I believe I have all of the various bits and pieces to UPGRADE to DirecTV HD. Got the Winegard trav'ler SlimLine 3 (SWM), 1 DTV HR20-700, HR20-100, and a H25-700 receivers, located the "Splitter" to be eliminate for the Bedroom & Basement RG-6 runs, and lined up Eric's RV in Sequim to do the work.

Now some more refinement questions:

1. B-band's. I know I do NOT need on the H25 receiver, but do I need them on the two HR20 DVR's? Since my antenna is a Single Wire Multiswitch, I think not.

2. My sticks & bricks is already a SWM Slimline (antenna) system with H25's & HR24's. Can I take the three receivers that are destined for the motorhome, install/hookup in the house system to make all the necessary settings, i.e., SWM settings, antenna settings (any suggested other settings)?

3. The H25 in the motorhome bedroom. The "Line of IR Sight" will be blocked because of the TV size. That will necessitate setting the H25 & Remote for Radio Frequency. I bought an H25 wall mount for the receiver and an H25 antenna donegal. Can that remote be set up to ONLY operate the bedroom H25 via RF without affecting either HR20?

Any other helpful hints and suggestions to make the HD switchover easier?

1. B-band's. I know I do NOT need one on the H25 receiver, but do I need them on the 2 HR20 DVR's? Since my antenna is a Single Wire Multiswitch, I think not.

A) Never use a B-Band with SWM. You also only run one cable to any receiver even if it's a DVR.

2. My sticks & bricks is already a SWM Slimline (antenna) system with H25's & HR24's. Can I take the 3 receivers that are destined for the motorhome, install/hookup in the house system to make all the necessary settings, i.e., SWM settings, antenna settings (any suggested other settings)? Have to at least do it for the HR20-700 to activate the the new access card (tomorrow's job).

A) Yes, the home SWM antenna is the exact same thing as the SWM Trav'ler. Once connected and you go into the receiver setup menu the receiver(s) will detect the SWM and should automatically set themselves up.

3. The H25 in the motorhome bedroom. The "Line of IR Sight" will be blocked because of the TV size. That will nessitate setting the H25 & Remote for Radio Frequency (RF). I bought an H25 wall mount for the receiver and an H25 antenna donegal. Can that remote be set up to ONLY to operate the bedroom H25 via RF without affecting either HR20?

I "believe" that you can set the RF to control the one particual receiver but I have never had to do one that way so I am really not sure.

I just trained Eric's in Sequim so they should be able to do the necessary setup and wiring.

Let me know how it goes.

The receiver that will use rf will have to be set to receive rf. The default is ir, therefore no other receiver will receive that signal.

Kay

Unless the other receivers are setup for RF. I think that's why he wanted to know if the H25 would get a unique RF signal.

Bill Adams,

Apparently the Class you taught at Eric's paid off. The install went very well. Had to trace one of those !@#$%^&* GFI outlet plugs down, DTV Deactivating a HR20 DVR (that I can logon to & fix), re-installing a swing arm bracket. Pr-Installing the receivers on the Bricks & Sticks SWM based antenna system then moving to the coach saved a lot of foolin' around time.

Bill I've been reading about all the trouble with installing roof top antennas. My winegard sk 3005 just went out and I call Camping World for a replacement.

I was told that their is a new replacement antenna swm slimline and that it should work fine.

Is that true and should I be asking any other questions?

Bill,

You have been away from the forum for a while. Welcome back. You always have good information in your posts and have helped a lot of RV'ers.