rajport

Vista 30t Poor Handling At Highway Speeds

We purchased a 2013 Winnebago Vista 30t back in April from Litchsinn motors in Forest City Iowa.

It handled poorly and was dangerous to drive at highway speeds. We had suspension stabilization gear installed in front and rear which took care of the problem. Winnebago Ind refuses to address this issue and will not reimburse us for the cost to make the coach safe to drive at highway speeds.

Has anyone else had this problem ??

Please respond.

r johnson

R Johnson. Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Could you post the chassis make and model for the group. Winnebago did make the coach, but the chassis was made by some other supplier. Other Coach owners with units built on the same frame, could be having the same issues.

Rich.

I have a 2014 Four Winds class C 31 L MH on a Ford 450 chassis.

Yesterday I drove (speed usually 50-60 mph)from Las Vegas to San Diego CA on I-15, a windy highway in the open desert.... and felt the wind... I thought there must be some after market product that would help with the rocking of the MH.. my reaction to the wind was to slow down under 50 mph... not sure what else to do.

Doug C

Hi R

Our first MH was a used 2001 27' WBG Minnie Winnie - loved it, handled just fine and DH made a fairly easy adjustment to driving a big box (his term), wanted more space before we tackled longer time / distance trips.

We visited several MH dealer, different brands, sizes up to 40', and test drove Class A in gas and diesel engines. We located a 2012 WBG 35F Vista, loved the floor plan, and took it for a test drive. DH drove, DW co-pilot seating -- DW thought it was the most sway and leaning RV of any we drove. Vista was a Ford F53 chassis, I think, 22" tires, and it set higher off the ground than the Minnie Winnie which was only 16" tires I think?

The salesman along on the Vista test drive kept saying, this lean and swaying motion side to side was 'normal' for any Class A, and that we only notice it because we were used to driving a C.

We did not buy the Vista, and thought perhaps our inexperience was the cause for not feeling comfortable with how the Vista handled. Thanks for sharing your story .. We feel a teeny bit vindicated in our assessment of Vista sway at highway speeds.

BTW- we thought the Tiffin 36L, also on the F53 ford chassis, similar plan, length, and also gas engine handled much more like the heavier diesel models we drove. Ultimately, we did choose a WBG Journey 36M, and it handles well at highway speeds -- ymmv.

I had a swaying problem with my 2011 Southwind 32VS. I found that the right side sway-bar bracket was missing/fell off.

I replaced that and added high strength bolts, washer and nylon lock nuts with lock tight to both brackets and added more pressure to my 22.5 tires. I now run between 95-100 psi cold and that stopped a lot of the swaying, even in the California winds-- from LA to Vegas. etc.