ticat900

Norcold 1210 Fridge Suggestion

I read a lot of storys about the failings of the 1200/10 Norcold fridge and I am on my third unit over 7 years and luckily

(I guess) have never had a problem.

People yap about fans and poor cooling in warmer weather etc. Here's a tip for anyone interested:

I leave two small fans at the lower rear fridge vent similar to the upper front window defrost fans seen in pusher A,s etc and I leave my 1210 on # 5 and its cools very well thru thick and thin.

I never had any Problems with my1200 until Norcold put their modification on it. since then I have had it in the shop 3 times for repairs, and each time it was the Norcold mod that caused the problem and had to be replaced. I do use a small battery powered fan in the lower section to move the air inside and a temp sensor to keep check on the temp. It usually runs around 34 to 38 with the setting on 3 1/2 to 4.

Regards.

Michael.

I have heard the hi temp shut down sensor that NORCOLD has dealers install has given some people trouble but(touch wood) I have not.

I always leave mine on 5 and seems to cool fine. I am talking mid 70 temps though( right now).

I have their "rev d" on mine and no problems after 3 winters down south.The mod is easy to bypass if need be though.

anyhow my post was suggesting use of bottom fans as I have as it really helps

I would like to know more about these bottom fans. Are they permanently mounted behind the access panel? Only run them when the temp is above what degrees? I have had the mother board replaced on my Norcold 1200 and the mod replaced twice.

Jack,

The auxiliary fans, whether on a thermostat or on simple on/off switch that you control are better mounted at the top of the cooling unit exhausting up.

That gives better flow over the cooling unit than fans at the bottom that can create turbulence over the cooling unit.

And, I am not aware of any set spec for cooling fan on/off temperatures. Part of that will depend on your natural air flow. If in a slide with side exhaust rather than through the roof, I would use a lower set temperature. Also depends on location of thermostat.

Thanks Brett, My unit is located in a slide with vents top and bottom. You are saying the fan should be at the top vent exhausting out?

Yes. And, if there isn't one, use fiberglass or other waterproof material to direct air flow from back top of refrigerator to top of top vent. This keeps hot air from accumulating at the top of the refrigerator compartment.

Brett

The only time I have trouble with the mod is when the coach is hit with a pressure washer. I take a strong magnet on a stick to reset the mod box.

I've been wondering what to do with the small solar panel on top of the A/C unit. I abandoned it when I put 760 watts of solar panel on the roof. I think I will connect it to a fan above the refrigerator.

hypoxia! Welcome to the FMCA forum !

It might work for those hot summer days, but could be an issue when one runs into those hot summer nights and I wounder if a small rechargeable battery could fill in the gape; by charging enough during the day.

Just some personal thoughts you might want to consider or monitor.

Rich.