Sign in to follow this  
fs23454

Smart Car

I have read many topics on flat towing a Smart car. All are full of information and all very well thought out and informative.

However, there seems to be only 2 choices available that I can find on any forum as far as base plates for the Smart is concerned. Road Master and Blue OX. Both which require quite a bit of install work.

However, I also found this web site which has a much better answer to the base plate issue but, does not seem to be available here:

http://www.smart-tow.com/

click on A-Frames and read on.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this flat towing answer. It is legal in Europe which after living there for 12 years has much tighter restrictions especially when it comes to towing than we do here in the states.

The braking system is available here under the name Stay-in-play Duo by SMI

Thanks for any response in advance.

I have ordered the Roadmaster base plate and it hasn't arrived yet but, if I can get more information from users here, I'll gladly return the Roadmaster when it arrives.

I have not towed a Smart, but was on the verge of getting one last November. The factory representative was at the dealer that day. He showed me the two tow points, and how easy it would be to install the tow bar. He also told me about Smart-tow, and highly recommended that method.

Good luck with your endeavor, if you decide to go that route, please let us know how it works out.

Happy New Year,

Kay

I will be happy to let you know how it turns out. The Smart-Tow bar seems to be the way to go. It is pricy but, no drilling or cutting any parts of the car may make it worth the cost. It is also a lot lighter than either of the others mentioned. Since I'm towing with a 2003 Rialta I need to save all the weight I can which is why I bought the 1800 pound Smart.

Thanks

I have a 2010 Smart Car and have been towing it behind a 40ft diesel pusher for more than three years now. It is equipped with the Blue Ox system. However I do not use any auxiliary braking system due to the fact I don't notice it behind the coach. My understanding is that it is not necessary to install one since it weight is under 2000 lbs. right or wrong it hasn't been an issue for me. We have logged over 30k of travel and it works great.

There are some recommendations as far as in car preparation I can share with you if you decide to go forward with the Smart Car. You can contact me to discuss it more in depth.

Jim

I had a Smart with the Blue Ox system and it tows fine but I needed to put tethers on the steering wheel to help the car center correctly otherwise it would wiggle back and forth in an unsafe manor.

We towed it from MN to Branson and also to Elkhart, not any issues as long as we remembered to tie it down. We did not use a brake system as it is under 2000 lbs and we did not feel any concerns with stopping.

Just because its lightweight doesn't mean it shouldn't have brakes. If the car becomes separated from the motorhome the car brakes should stop it and hopefully before it hits something which will also stop it.

I would not tow anything without brakes on it. I have a small Aspen Classic camping trailer that weighs in at 400lbs loaded that have electric brakes on it. I tow it with my motorcycle trike and twice had it not been for the trailer brakes, the trailer would have passed me because of an emergency brake situation. Deer's, cars and motorcycles don't mix well.

Also, I am going to get the Smart Tow system I mentioned. The SMI Stay in Play DUO brake system arrives today and the tow bar and CMS bar arrive Friday. I'll install the brake system tomorrow (about 2 hrs.) and after the other parts arrive Friday, it'll take about 30 minutes to complete the system.

If you know anyone that wants or needs a Road Master setup, When it arrives it's for sale or I'll just return it.

Thanks

We tow a Smart behind our 32 ft Rexhall A Motorhome with a RoadMaster Falcon all terrain tow pkg. it tows great you don't know that it is even behind us. We keep the back camera on to watch it. It turns corners no problem, we don't need to hook the wheel with a bungee. and as a plus they are so fun to drive, you don't have a ride like our Yukon but heck it is a fun zippy little car that rides like a sports car we love it. Plus it has more leg room than the Yukon go figure? We are both good sized and we have plenty of room and engine power.

Tom & Kathy Manoff