Sign in to follow this  
Jurisinceptor

Best Smartphone

What does one "really" need a smart phone for?

What real good reason?

I have yet to see any real good reason for one?

Just more money taken out of ones budget that really serves no needable purpose.

have read many replys and its what one wants to spend money on.For the times I need email or weather updates or

gps direction over and above the two units I have or whatever its a waste of money 100 or more PM

I use my laptop just about anywhere these days if I really need some internet informations

to each their own.I Just seem to be able to travel all over with no problems without one

I find that of the 100% of the people with them about 80% of the useage is just bs(not required)

Each year I have saved enough to pay for my smart phone by using GasBuddy to find the lowest fuel prices near me. The GPS and routing functions better than the one in my auto. Weather forecasts for the cities I will be traveling through is great. I don't have to use by PC to check emails. The calendar function really helps to keep my appointments and to know my spouses calendar. My smart phone is my only internet connection which allows me to use it all across the country. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.

I'm not sure there is a "BEST" smart phone. You have to shop around and play with a bunch of them. We have two iPhones and we both like them very much. Asking which is best is like asking, "What is your favorite food?" Ask 20 people and you might get 20 different answers.

The best smart phone is the one that the person that you are asking has, for surely he or she would only get the best for himself or herself!

You could use two tin cans and a string between them, and some people would like that better. But three previous posts are the best answer. I use a Galaxy S-III and love it. My daughter and son inlaw have the S-IV. I haven't found enough difference to upgrade to that, but if buying a new one I would buy the S-IV. My other daughter has and husband has the I phone, they love theirs. I like Galaxy personally, but then, I am MS certified. So have fun shopping.

Happy new year, Kay

Yes Ticat some of us do need a smart phone.

We only have our cell phones and no land line. Where we live there is only one phone company and the only thing we can get is dial up. We use our smart phone for the Wi-Fi Hot spot. We can use the hot spot any where. We can get a dish mounted for around $300.00 and then spend $50.00 per month for service where the data plan on our two phones is around $20.00 per month. So there are some people that are glad there are smart phones.

So sit down, have a drink of your favorite beverage and relax. Have a Happy New Year.

Your follow Rv'er,

Herman

Bought the HTC One in February.

Liked it so much bought the DW an HTC One for Christmas.

Best phone I have ever used for reading kindle books that sync to all devices, pw protector that syncs to all devices, immediate weather alerts, news, etc.

It is a mini computer that fits in my pocket or belt case.

Oh yea, kids want to text, not talk, easy family connections with text, email, and voice calls.

Oh yea, can print documents from it also if needed.

Not the ringy dingy dings of the 50's

Technology is great, and fun........

Actually my smartphone is worth more to me than satellite TV,,,,,,,,,that I use to pay dearly for just a few channels worth watching.....to me the HTC is a better value.

Freedom still exists to some degree,,,,,your choice, I have mine.

Happy and Safe roads ahead!

Thanks for the reminder, the smartphone replaced a USB air card and router. The smartphone works as a wifi hotspot for 2 laptops, tablet, 2 kindles and another smartphone. Toooooo much technology,,,,,,toooooo little time.

Personally when traveling in my MH I would sooner have the (EG) Verizon USB air stick and use my lap top at least its got a screen you can see and a keyboard us can type on. You can get this for under 50$ PM.

If I need to actually talk to someone I use the $29.00 trac phone that cost like 5.00 per month.

Paying 600-800 for a smart phone and like $75-100PM to use it does not make good $$$ sense to me and the screen is so small its hard to see and the keyboard is useless to try and type a email message.

Just my opinion and I have looked at lots of them.

Jurisinceptor,

I think basically, you have to decide if you want an Android or Apple smartphone.

I've had both and now have an Android by preference. Apple tends to make decisions for you which to me means no flexibility.

For example, I use the calendar on my phone for appointments and events. I set reminders for myself. The iPhone provides limited options for reminders.

On the Android, you can select one of the pre-set reminders or create your own. So that is just one example. The Android is a more complex phone because you have more options.

The Apple phone is rather simple and easier to use right out of the box. Currently, Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android) is the most popular phone but that can change tomorrow.

ticat900,

I think this thread would be more accurately answered by those who actually use a smartphone.

Happy New Year!

X2.

I/we have the Motorola Rarz Droid and would not be without them. We also use them as a WiFi hotspot while traveling and I really appreciate the mapping that shows the satellite view. I used it today to locate a propane dealer with easy access for the mh.

Ticat, I don't want to really flip you out of your rocker but we each have an iPad, Macbook Pro and an iMac. It doesn't cost anymore to go first class...you just can't stay as long. Enjoy whatver floats your boat or you can safely afford.

Happy 2014!

Hey JIm,

I guess if you want to spend a few grand on smart phones and ipads and a couple hundred a month to run them all to locate a propane dealer

its a free world. I don't see the reasons and have no need. My laptop computer does everything I need and for under 50$ Per month

my almost free trac phone makes the same phone calls as your $800 smart phone. Its not about afford to me its what's a waste and whats not.

What you do ( my opinion) is waste $$ and what I do is conserve$$.

The end of the day your happy spending money and I am happy that I am saving money. The real interesting angle is I get to my destinations and through my days without a single hardship and don't require a smart phone to do so.

Like we say different stokes for different folks. And yes it cost a lot more to go first class.

Got to agree with mrboyer. The best smart phone is the one that is the easiest for you to use. It also depends on your carrier. For my money Verizon Wireless is the best overall. If undecided then look for the industry leaders, Apple and Samsung.

Happy New Year to all!!

The BEST "Smart phone" is the one YOU are smart enough to use for your needs. Some are so complex one never figures them out. Others have less options, but make sense to YOU so you get more out of it.

Thrushi beat me to it.

The best smartphone is the phone that does what YOU want it to do, not what someone else wants it to do. You have to decide if you want all the bells and whistles, or just to answer a call and receive a voice mail. That decision is really up to you. Do your research and try and figure what you want it to do and what features you will not miss.

Remember, almost all smartphones now-a-days require a data plan and that adds up the $$$.

Jurisinceptor -

Disclaimer: I have been an Apple Biggot since 1984 so naturally I think the iPhone is the best.

On the other hand I have participated in the religious discussion for and against various computers and later various phones since 1984 and when I analyze all the smartphone pros and cons, I can find no real reason to pick either an android based phone or an iOS based iphone. The basic function of all smart phones is more or less the same and any one of them will get the job done.

There are many vendors to pick from when you choose an Android based phone, but the iPhone only comes from Apple. Oh yes I almost forgot, there are also some that just love the new Windows phone. Having said that, I will make the following observation about Apple products vs others.

In my view, Apple makes tools, while the other companies make devices. By that I mean Apple integrates the hardware, and software into a unified user experience. IF you like their choice of user experience Apple is great. If you want to change the user experience then you will hate the iPhone. Devices made by companies other than Apple, have lots of options and choices that you may make to form your own personalized user experience. Each company makes some of the initial choices for you so each company provides a slightly different user experience out of the box. Many of these choices you can change to your liking with either options or downloaded extensions. I believe that this tool vs device is the real difference between Apple products and other similar offerings.

I personally like the Apple user experience and find most Apple choices to my liking, but as I noted above many others hate the restrictions and would never own an Apple product. Each person should make their own choices based on their own circumstances. There are more non-apple phones in the market, but Apple products seem to be used more often by the less technical ones of us.

In summary: If you want to fiddle with your smart phone and taylor it to your exact needs then by all means get an Android device. According to my daughter, the Samsung brand is high on the list. If on the other hand you just want it to use a smart phone as it comes from the box, then you will likely find the Apple products to your liking. I live in a split family, 2/3 Apple devices, 1/3 Samsung devices with service split between AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. Everyone seems happy with their choice.

As to whether or not you need a smart phone. Only you can answer that question. I, like others above, resisted for a long time. Yes they are clever little computers that fit in your pocket. Why would I want one of those, I have a lap top with a real keyboard, etc,etc. Well - I finally gave in purchased one. What I found is: 1- I seldom if ever use my home phone any more. People I know have my personal number and call me directly. If they want my wife, they call her directly. No jumping up to answer the phone for someone else. My home phone is used primarily by marketeers and politicians that I don't want to hear from anyway. 2 - Because my wife, and family all have phones and calendars that are all inter-connected, it is possible to look at my phone and know if my daughter is available for lunch today and if she invites me to lunch next week, my phone beeps to ask my permission to add that to my calendar. If that time is OK, one tap adds it to my calendar. If it is not OK then one tap rings her phone so we can discuss the issue, which brings me to the best part of carrying a smart phone for me. 3 - I can, in a 2 x 3 x 1/4 inch space, carry my entire contact list with telephone numbers and addresses. I call my daughter by pressing the button and speaking "Call Christa" The iPhone does the rest. I can look up the address and number of the nearest coach repair facility and call it, store it for future use, or tap to see a route to the exact location. I have all my doctors numbers and appointment at hand so when I make a new appointment, I never double-book and when I need to change an appointment, I select the name and tap the number to dial. The list goes on and on. After my years of reluctance, I am now happy to pay over $100 per month to have my life organized through my iPhone. Never mind the actual telephone function.

In addition, I can read the latest medical news while waiting for my tires to be rotated as my iPhone is in my pocket all the time, which is exactly the point. I do not always have my laptop, main computer, iPad, or other device with me. I tried to carry a laptop for years, they are large and bulky. Because my iPhone lives in my pocket and is available at all times the calendar, address book and music are always available. I almost forgot to mention that I can take a picture of my license plate, Disney FastPass Schedule, or broken part so I can look at them from my pocket later. Yep, I would not like to do without my iPhone, yet many still maintain they do not need one and they are probably correct. It has been my experience that If you don't think you need one, there is little anyone can say or do to convince you otherwise. I know personally that no one was able to convince me.

We will be teaching some smartphone/tablet classes here at the FMCA convention in Perry this week.

We have had Droid RAZRs for many years and loved them. But technology just keeps marching on. The most popular make/model these days (by a raise of hands in our seminars) is Samsung.

Jim, my husband, just got the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It's big. It's beautiful. He won't be using his Nexus tablet as much now because the phone is so big. aka a Phablet. We also have an iPad mini and love it as well. We watch movies by bringing them up on the iPad's Amazon Instant Movie app, then sending them to the TV using AppleTV.

I think the smartphones are worth it just for the Google Maps navigation. And if you want to knock your socks off with what's in store for us with this technology watch this: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/50582822#50582822 and see how your smartphone can prevent your heart attack.

Last trip to the east coast I used my smart phone (Galaxy S3) as a WiFi hot spot so my wife could work as Ii drove. Also used the FMCA mobile AP to look up campgrounds. This last week I was forced to upgrade to a S4, and I can't get the FMCA to load correctly, I keep getting funky error messages.

If anybody knows the fix for that I would love to hear it! Long story short I also have the Coach Net AP on my phone, and its super easy, it automatically knows our position and can call for the specific kind of help we need at the touch of a button. Was able to find more local amenities with the smart phone than I was with our new Garmin RV GPS., In fact my GPS is linked to my smart phone via blue tooth so I can watch the weather radar as we roll and get local traffic updates. Having traveled without and now with, I would hate to give it up.

Hi John,

I don't know when you tried to download the FMCA mobile app; FMCA is currently doing a massive software update. That may be your issue.

Web Site Maintenance: Some pages of FMCA.com will not be available from June 27 to July 7, while FMCA implements a new software management system. We apologize, in advance, for the downtime, and thank you for your patience.

fmca_online_logo.gif

Since my last post on this subject I have upgraded our plan. We are now on AT&T Family Plan. We have 10 gb of Data for $100.00 per month and each phone cost $15.00 each per month. We went from $150.00 and only 4 gd of data to $130.00 per month with 10 gb of data. We use our phones as our Wi-Fi connection at home and on the road when Wi-Fi isn't available. This works for us.

I also just up graded to the Asus Smart Phone. It has Android OS and it came with a Tablet. It will add about $23.00 per month to your account for 24 months. However the person that was setting me up asked if I was a Veteran. Saying yes I was able to get a 15% discount off my monthly bill. That came to a little over $15.00 per month so my new phone ended up costing me about $7.00 per month, that I can live with.

Is AT&T the best provider out there? Maybe yes, maybe not, but it has always served our needs.

May each of you have a Safe and Happy Forth.

Herman

I just bought my wife (bought's not the right word since it was free) the LG G2 (yes, I know the G3 is coming) and I have to say that I actually like it better than my Samsung Galaxy G3. I don't do a whole lot with the phone anyway other than use the various invaluable apps, use the internet to locate best breakfast's and the like in a new town, take lots of pictures, and oh, yeah, talk.

The G2 camera (13MB) along with the bright HD screen is really amazing. It can also zoom about twice as far as my Galaxy. Did I mention it was free with the contract extension? Nice features running 4.4.2 android Kit Kat, the same as my Galaxy. We are still playing with some of the features but it's easy to use, simple to setup and it makes the wife happy!

ticat, it must be interesting to see you carrying your laptop around in your pocket. So you don't like smart phones,we get it. The original poster Just asked for info not a sermon (or two).

Even though his post are over 6 month old, you have to forgive him. He thinks phones costs $600-$800 plus $100+/month each. He also doesn't understand how they can be used or that they will power his laptop without the $50/month he is paying to only use the internet on his laptop. He's so far out of the loop that the posts are just fun to read when you need a laugh.