dbeck

Alaska Trip In 2015

Question

Beginning to plan for a trip to Alaska in 2015 to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Am looking for opinions on whether to go it alone or join a caravan. Also, if the answer is caravan, opinions on Fantasy tours vs Adventure Caravans.

16 answers to this question

We went on the 60 day Fantasy caravan tour this summer - greatly exceeded all our expectations !! Both the Wagon Master and Tail Gunner went above and beyond all our expectations - In my opinion, the only way to enjoy AK and western Canada is by caravan - not only do you enjoy tours you may not do by yourselves, but as an added bonus, you now have close friends you didn't have at the beginning of the trip - Send me a PM for more details if you want - can't say enought about Fantasy !!

Money and time well spent !!

We went with one other couple and had a very good experience. We could travel at our own pace and spend as much time as we wanted seeing or doing what we wanted. If I do it again I would do it the same way.

We have been several times and have always did it on our own. This way, you can do it at your own leisure. It will be an awesome trip! If you are doing a cruise also, spend a little extra to get a balcony room.

We traveled to Alaska on a 60 day caravan with Adventure Caravans in 2012. The trip far exceeded our expectations. The itinerary allowed enough free time so that we could do what we wanted. The pace was just right. We saw many attractions that I would not have stopped for if we traveled by ourselves. We made lasting friendships that were a bonus. Likely we will travel by caravan again in the near futue. I hope that this helps!

We went on the 60 day Fantasy caravan tour this summer - greatly exceeded all our expectations !! Both the Wagon Master and Tail Gunner went above and beyond all our expectations - In my opinion, the only way to enjoy AK and western Canada is by caravan - not only do you enjoy tours you may not do by yourselves, but as an added bonus, you now have close friends you didn't have at the beginning of the trip - Send me a PM for more details if you want - can't say enought about Fantasy !!

Money and time well spent !!

X2

We are beginning plans for a 2015 trip from So. CA to Alaska and don't know if we want to go it alone or join a small group (not a caravan.) Would love to hear from anyone who made the trip in 2014 or planning for 2015. We have a 34' gas National Dolphin class A, tow = 2007 Jeep Liberty. Suggestions on campgrounds, things not to miss, mishaps, things to be aware of, etc. Thank you!

Jeff, We travel on our own with no one to speed us up or slow us down. When you hit the Yukon you will want to go slow and have a stone shield in front of your Jeep and a blanket across it's windshield. There will be a lot of chip sealing going on so if you can keep the windows closed tight and put a filter on the A/C inlet you can keep most of the dirt outside.

Depending on the size of your engine air filter you may have to replace it when you get to Alaska and again when you get home. So much for Canadian road construction expect some damage. I got a busted windshield from a construction dump truck carrying rocks flying from the opposite direction.

We still had a great time but if we were to do it again, we would fly there and rent a RV from http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/

Thanks for your responses and tips. We have been on an inside passage cruise to Alaska and loved it, but really want to travel there by motorhome so as to see some of Canada too. We've decided to forge ahead with our plans to go it alone! Planning is half the fun. Would still love to hear from all of you who have driven there and any and all suggestions welcome!

We made the trip to Alaska in 2012 with a caravan. For us that worked well but if we were to go back now we would "do our own planning". There is so much to see in Canada and Alaska. I would start planning by ordering the Alaska Milepost.

http://www.themilepost.com/#

If you feel that you must see the Top of The World Highway, be prepared to take it really, really slow.

For us, the really enjoyable stops were Banff National Park in Alberta (along with Lake Louise), Athabaska Glacier and Athabaska Falls, Denali National Park, Skagway, AK, Valdez, AK, Homer, AK (for the halibut fishing), Dawson City, Yukon and the Yukon River. Shouldn't forget Tok, AK - interesting campground and a great restaurant within walking distance.

Do not expect rv parks to compare to those in the lower 48 - no concrete pads, spaces are tighter, etc.

We traveled several thousand miles on our trip and the only damage to our coach was a mirror broken going through US Customs on the way into Skagway (a steel post on each side of the entrance with a slight break back to the left - 3 coaches in our caravan lost mirrors and at least 3 fifth wheels had to back up a couple of times to make through. And we got a chip in our windshield - on Interstate 25 in Montana after we got back.

Frost heaves on the highways in both Canada and Alaska were well marked when we were there. Just slow down and take your time. And we found worse roads in parts of Montana and Oklahoma.

I won't go into any great detail here but if you have questions, send me an email and I will try to answer with what I know.

I'm with Ray & Hana with heavy precaution! We traveled to AK 2014 with our diesel pusher and lost the engine do to what was diagnosed as "dusted the engine". This occurred in the Yukon 200 miles south of Whitehorse on our way home to the mid West. We also lost the windshield do to the rocks being thrown up from the chip seal road beds. We did have a shield protecting the car but his suggestion of a protective cover is vital if you care for your tow vehicle.

After being at Inland Kenworth of Whitehorse for 3 weeks waiting for the new engine to arrive we were told of all the horror stories that happen to coaches year after year. They also made a recommendation to fly into Whitehorse and rent a motor home then drive to AK. I wish someone would have given me that advice Pryor to our misfortune.

If do do however decide to drive there I would go it alone and take my time. Carry extra air filter and change it along the way. Lot cheaper than my $28k mishap.

Good luck!!

We had been planning FMCA rally Madison, WI., this summer, but, diesel is on sale about 33% off now. So instead of Madison we are seriously considering Alaska this summer. We are always happy when we can make any purchase on sale, so how fuel is on sale and we think it's best to buy all we can at these prices by enjoying longer cheaper trips. Summer 2016, diesel may not be on sale and will then stay inside lower 48.

Had been doing a lot of planning to spend about 6 weeks before and after WI rally. Have shelved that planning and already obtained a Milepost, Alaska travel info, Yukon info, BC info, etc. Now busy Alaska planning our routes and stops, side trips and activities. We will travel alone, as I did enough convoy's in the Army. We want to stop and go on our schedule and feel we will be able to do what interest us instead of what interest part of a crowd.

We will greatly miss the WI rally, we had so much fun at Perry in 2014. Hopefully a 2016 rally will be in a location of interest to us.

We traveled on our own, we took a month to get through BC and Yukon. We enjoyed the trip at our own pace. We left the lower 48 on Memorial Day and returned on Labor Day. Among our highlights were driving the toad from Dawson City to Inuvik, into the Arctic Circle and to the Arctic Ocean. We drove the Top of the World Highway and didn't find it that intimidating. We took a flight to Barrow, AK from Fairbanks and had a campsite looking out on Resurrection Bay at Seward. We enjoyed staying several days at Kennecott in Wrangell - St. Elias National Park. We stayed two weeks in Fairbanks and explored that area thoroughly, two weeks in Anchorage, a week in the Denali area and a week in the Kenai Peninsula. We spent a night on a parking lot at the toe of the Matanuska Glacier listening to the ice grind and pop. The next morning we walked onto the glacier and enjoyed looking at the various features (be careful, very careful). On our way south we stopped at Stewart/Hyder and enjoyed the bears dining on salmon. We saw the northern lights in Yukon as we were leaving in late August. There are so many things to see that it is hard to do justice to Alaska in the short time we were there.

We had no damage to our coach or toad. We had a cover for the toad that covered the hood and windshield plus the Roadmaster Guardian to keep the rocks off the toad. We also got a bra for the coach. Both covers came from the Coastline Cover Company and we had them installed on site on our way north through California. Drive responsibly, don't get in a hurry. It is a long distance and if you don't allow plenty of time you will have to choose between sightseeing and just getting there. I would rent as mentioned above if you are worried about the trip. Our experience has me convinced to take our own coach next time. I like sleeping in my own bed and having all my stuff with me makes the trip like living in these places instead of being on vacation. How much stuff can you take with you on an airplane flight? You will want some warm weather clothes and plenty of cool to cold weather clothes, cameras, binoculars, hiking gear, fishing gear, who knows what else. BC and Yukon are a good part of the fun of the trip. You'll miss out on some great things to see if you don't see them on the way.

Our next trip to Alaska is likely going to be 2016 and we plan to put the coach on the ferry to make stops on the inside passage as we go north. Then we'll drive the highway for the return trip home. This summer we have Newfoundland on our itinerary.

Hello from Oceanside,

We made the trip to Alaska about 4.5 years ago. We decided to go it alone. What an adventure! Loved the freedom to do what we wanted. The Milepost is a must. Great information. One mistake we made was to make reservations. When we go back we won't be making any reservations. There is always a place to stay. However, if you are planning on camping in Denali I would make reservations. We stayed in the Park and the campground was full. So glad we had reservations. I want to go back. But there are so many other places to see.

Jeff and Anita

Oceanside, CA

We went on the Fantasy Premier tour to Alaska last summer. Big, big mistake! (there is another thread describing a similar experience to the one we had, except I think ours was worse - wish I had seen it before we booked our trip). We would have been better to buy the Milepost book and go on our own. We would have saved thousands of dollars, seen the same sights and had a much better experience.

If you are considering taking the trip, by all means go, the Milepost gives excellent directions, and has several "pre-planned" routes. The scenery is unbelievable. If your coach is in good working order, and you take care of routine maintenance you should be fine.

Be aware that driving in the far north is not like the lower 48. The main highways are more like secondary roads in the lower 48, lots of frost heaves, and often no lines painted on the roads. Most of the time, there is very little traffic, so as long as your watch your speed, you can maneuver around and through the heaves. Road construction is a given, a road that may be paved one week, may be dirt the next. As for speed, except for Anchorage I don't think we went over 50 mph for the entire trip. Word of advice, go slow, take your time, see the sights, watch the wildlife (there is a lot of it) and enjoy the experience. If you are in a small group or by your self there are lots of places to dry camp along the highways. Sometimes 100 miles is a full day of driving.

Oh yes and did I say go slow? All the damages to motorhomes we saw were due to driving to fast. A moose makes a big mess of the front of your motorhome when you hit it. If you hit the frost heaves too fast, your suspension will regret it, not to mention your cabinets.

I would agree with the above post about reservations, other than Denali and possible Homer, don't worry. And don't be afraid to dry camp along the road, some of the spots we passed were much nicer than many of the campgrounds we stayed at.