Sign in to follow this  
frank3600

Failed Remco Pump

I purchased a Remco Lube Pump in March 2013 @ Camping World and let them install it on my 2005 pt cruiser. Dec 28th 2013 and around 3000 miles later the pump failed. I was just leaving the house for Florida when it happen so no damage was done. Camping World says that they will cover the cost of the pump since it's still under warranty. My question is how could I have got my car home, say if I was couple hundred miles from home. I no that my co-pilot could have driven it back but is their any other way I could have gotten the home. Would appreciate any help, now I'm almost afraid to take the trip.

Frank Jones

We used to install that pump in our shop but after some failures and unhappy customers we stopped recommending them. I believe that you should select a toad that doesn't need all that extra equipment to be able to tow.

Hi Frank,

I used the Remco pump installed on a 2004 Pontiac and towed it for 60,000+ miles with 1 failure at about 30,000 miles. We drove for the remainder of the day with the engine in the car running, called Remco and had a pump by 3:00PM the next day. Although I don't use the pump with my current toad (2012 Ford Edge AWD), I wouldn't hesitate if the vehicle required it.

I hope that this helps!

Frank,

You can certainly just crank the engine and leave it running, just make sure to check that it remains running while in motion. And also there is usually a U-Haul dealer in most every town. You can usually rent a tow-dolly to get you where you are going, may not be exactly what you like to do, but beats having a spoiled vacation, most of the time.

Happy new year,

Kay

Thanks for all the helpful information, especially about leaving the engine running, thanks Kay and Happy New Year to you too.

But I will be looking for a Chevrolet when I return from Florida.

Frank