OnDahRd

2005 Cummins ISL400

I am seriously looking to buy a 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 38DP. It has the Cummins 400 ISL motor. I do not know if it is one of those involved in the recall, I will find out then deal with that. My question is if the motor has been well cared for how many miles could I expect to get out of it? it currently has 55k. Any other issues?

The ISL is 8.9L and a fine engine. It is good for several hundred thousand miles and will outlast you and your coach. I don't know anything about a recall, get the engine serial number and call Cummins.

Allegiance40x, thanks for the info. The recall I mentioned is for the ISL 400 engine within a specific S/N range for Wrist Pin failure. The S/N range is 46543077 - 46603939 for the 2005- 2006 year.

If an engine were going to sustain the wrist pin failure, it would very likely occur within the first few thousand miles. After 8 years and 55k miles, without an issue, I would say your chance of issues is VERY low.

I'd check the serial number..... I don't know diddly compared to Brett. But I do have a good friend who lost a 400 hp Cummins to wrist pin failure at 56,000 miles. It's NOT uncommon with that engine. JMHO. And if it is out of warranty, you're looking at in the neighborhood of $30,000.

Planocat,

Wow. Never heard of bad wrist pin making it that far. Thanks for posting.

Suggest you consult a Cummins dealer (they guys who actually work on them/do warranty work) and get their read on "by what mileage would you feel safe in assuming that ISL wrist pin was not an issue for a 2005 engine in an RV".

Let us know what you find.

Planocat, I did a little looking around the web regarding the ISL and the wrist pin failing.

From Firehouse.com. It looks like it was an issue with engines from late 2005 and early 2006. an oiling issue in regards to the wrist pin.

Rich.

FYI

My friend's engine was in a 2006 Allegro Bus, but that's no guarantee the engine wasn't from the previous year. That's why checking the serial number is critical. Cummins knows the range of serial numbers that are potential problems. Incidentally, my friend is THE most meticulous person I know and should have stock in Blackstone Oil Analysis as he is always sending off fluid samples for analysis. His failure was totally without warning. He phoned his friend at Cummins Corporate and was told correctly what the failure probably was. Had the rig towed 190 miles to Dallas for the repair. Southern Plains Cummins was also familiar with that common failure. It wasn't their first rodeo with the 400. Thank goodness his unit was still under warranty and he was back on the road within a month.

Due to the holidays I am waiting to talk to the RV dealer on Thursday to find out what S/N that engine is. If it falls within that S/N range, I will call Cummins.

You will need the serial number whenever you talk to Cummins or by a part. The first question they ask is what is your serial number.

Hear is a good site for you.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Just a little extra info. I found a place selling used Cummins engines. The low mileage specials were 250,000 to 300,000. I doubt any of us will wearout our diesel engine if we do the maintenance.

Bill