Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Value of Passport?

We recently received our paper FMCA mag and spent several nights thoroughly browsing thru it. The ad for Passport shows very large discounts at thousands of sites. But, the section in the back of the mag for rv parks only shows discounts from 0$ to 10%. No park we have found advertising their rates shows any discounts close to Passport claim. Anybody have any feedback on discounts using ANY kind of membership other than FMCA or Good Sam?

Thanks

Not sure what "Passport" you are talking about?

Is it "Passport America"?

Or are you talking about FMCA or Good Sam discount at RV Parks?

Have been a member of Passport America for several years. It has paid for itself many times over. You can go online and see a list of participating campgrounds. There are restrictions as to how long a stay at reduced rate and seasonal restrictions during busy times. Eg: snowbird season in the south.

We belong to Thousand Trails. Can stay 3 weeks in most parks then move directly to another one. No nightly charges just the annual fee, ours is $580/yr. It cost us about $4000 for the plan but we stay in the system for over 100 nights a year. There is no limit and if we wanted to we could stay every night for the whole year.

Only problem with Passport America is if you only travel on the weekends most campground do not honor the %50 off...during the week 3 or 4 days will almost pay for a years membership.

Even during the week looking at routes I find that 8 or 9 out of 10 Passport America parks don't meet my needs. Usually its bad reviews, seems like Passport has a whole lot of poorly rated parks. My thinking there being its only one night but its not worth saving $10 or $15 to find out if its tolerable for a night. But it also can be inconvenient location if I'm moving through and looking for a place to light for the night. Or as noted, seasonal / day of week restrictions.

Its those 1 or 2 other times that makes Passport worth it to me. Covers membership and then some.

I use Passportamerica also. Most passport parks dont honor the discount on major holidays, and the 50 off is from Sunday through Thursday. We travel about 6 weeks per year, so the discount more than pays for it's annual membership. We use several parks in Tenn., Ga., and Florida on a regular basis and have learned which are the better parks. Thumbs up!

Kay

Thanks to all of you for the responses. Seems there are mixed opinions, but weighing on the plus side for Passport. We will use their service and let you know how our upcoming winter trip south works out for discounts.

Passport has lots of restrictions, but if you stay a couple of nights a year it will pay for itself.