neilcarol

Walmart Overnight RV Parking Considerations

We will be traveling next month and have never stayed at a Walmart.

How do you know if it is in a safe neighborhood.

How would you compare staying at a Walmart, cracker barrel or truck stop?

Never stayed at a Cracker Barrel, but have at Walmart and truck stops. I would look at the surrounding neighborhood, the sleazy looking ones usually are. Be sure to check with the manager, and ask if it is OK. Some cities have ordinances against overnight parking at locations in their cities. Truck Stops are normally much nosier than Walmart.

Most Walmarts have a security guard/car, that makes regular rounds in their parking lots. Also Sam's clubs mostly will allow overnight parking in their lots.

Happy trails
Kay

Biggest issue with Cracker Barrels is the parking. Make sure if you park in the RV spot you will not be blocked in at 9am when everyone is eating. Not sure why most just turned 2 car spots into 1 RV...can be very tight turning into or out of space.

You can check web site allstays.com They list all walmarts by state and also have people rate which one are good. Also list truck stops ,rest areas and more.

Back in the 70's we use to stay at K marts now its mostly Walmarts and Sam's Clubs. Never have had a problem, most have been along the Interstate.

We stay in Walmarts all the time when moving from A to B. We check in with customer service for permission and stay in the authorized area. Fairly often we find the area not level enough and move on. For security, park under good lighting and in the view of a security camera. We also refrain from "camping." No slide out or chairs, etc.

We also try to return the favor by purchasing something. Frequently, that is a lot.

There is also a free app for your phone called RV Parky, very helpful. It will show campgrounds, rest areas and Walmart stores. Just click on the Walmart and it will tell you if overnight parking is allowed or not. Most of the large city Walmart stores do not allow overnight parking.

More and more Walmarts are being forced to close their lots to us, both from the behaviour of some idiots, and from local ordinances - but nobody ever mentions spending the night at Camping World. It's common for them to allow us to stay overnight if we have a service appointment the next day - why not stay there with no service appointment? I know they're not a prevalent as Walmart, but if there's one in the area it might be a viable option...

I only stay at WM or a truck stop when travelling alone...D/W doesn't like to stay any place except a CG. For WMs, I always call ahead and ask if it is okay to park there. The only time they have said "no" was when there was a city ordinance against it, and one time when it was an old style WM with a small parking lot.

This summer will be our third trip from Florida to Colorado. When on interstates, we try first the truck stops if we arrive "early" before all of the trucks fill the spaces. They are a little noisy at first, but once they settle down, you just hear the hmmmmm of their trucks. Second choice are the Walmarts close to the interstate. We have never seen the guards mentioned above and I (not my husband) feel "unsure", so if there is another motorhome parked, we try not to be too far away from them. Once we stayed at a Crackel B. but parking was rather "tight" and our M/h is only 28'.

Safe travels!

I have stayed at several Wal-Marts and several Camping Worlds. Also Gander Mountain and Cabelas allow at times.

We have stayed in many Walmarts. We ask and have never been turned away. I have also asked about putting slides out and also have never been told no. We do try to do our shopping at Walmart while we are there.

Some have signs posted that states "no overnight parking". There is a reason that location don't want overnight parking there so best no to ask and move on for respect. We have one in Bellingham, WA right across the street from a campground that would be conflicting against that campground if they allow it. That's being a good neighbor.

I have stayed at a lot of different Walmarts, Security has even given me a ride to the store. Always shop a little there give the guard $20 and some toothbrushes for their family. Never had a problem. More recently we have been spending the nite in church parking lots.

For Walmart overnight parking, there is an app for that lets you know if it's allowed, address and phone numbers.

We have used the Walmart parking lot many times, usually after 8PM. I use the smart phone to locate one near, I call the store and ask for the manager, I ask if they are accepting of having MH's stay in their parking lot overnight and it so where they want me to park. Never been refused. If you pull in earlier there might be an issue, just ask. Have always felt safe due to lighting, and usual see security guards.

Many Flying J's also have specific areas for campers away from the trucks. Sams Clubs are good because they are usually quieter at night, in better locations, and have cheap fuel.

...More recently we have been spending the nite in church parking lots...

JMHO of course, but I would not do that without permission.

DW and I are new to the motorhome game but we have spent many a night in camp WalMart! Our favorite one is in Marianna Fl. Where we park nearest to the Home Depot so we can get their free WiFi for Netflix. Just don't be a jerk and spend some money. Check out AllStays.com

As Puff said, a WalMart with an RV Park close by and not allowing overnight parking is just being a good neighbor. Another reason some do not allow over night parking is not the stores decision but the local government. Some cities or townships do not allow overnight parking on any public parking areas. Again the city or township may just, again, be respecting their local RV Parks that are also revenue for the city through taxes.

So lets all be respectable RVers and respect WalMart by asking each time and respecting the local governments by either going to one of their RV parks or by moving on to the next area.

Herman

Back in the olden days, when we were gainfully employed, we stayed in Wally World and Sam's parking lots most of the time when in transit to our destination. We did so because we spent many hours on the road getting to our destination as quickly as possible. It's easier to find a spot at most Wally Worlds or Sam's as their lots are lit up and ginormous. We did as others and had a shopping list prepared and spent our earned dollars there.

Now that we are gainfully unemployed, we no longer spend those long days on the road and usually try to find a campground for the evening. That way we can walk the poodles, have a couple of beverages and relax around the picnic table. We also meet some really nice folks at the campgrounds.

I am a single woman and have traveled across the US. I have tried many different parking situations and here are some observations from my point of view (single woman alone in rig with 2 small dogs).

My only concern is safety. I love Walmart and I do check on Allstays for other peoples opinion. It has helped me make up my mind on where to stay. (bad part of town, etc). I only stay at Supercenters that are open all night, away from the store but, not isolated area and near another rig, if possible.

I call ahead to ask for permission, too. I walk dogs before I get to lot so all I have to do is park and eat and get to bed. I do not want anyone to know I am alone inside. I always shop in morning to spend money there .

I have tried truck stops but, never again. Waaay too noisy and lots "stuff" going on around. I am very careful to not get into any "lonely" situations like empty parking lots, etc. anywhere. I would try a church if there were people nearby.

keysbabe1...if you haven't already, you might consider getting a concealed carry permit and arm your self accordingly.

I am a single woman and have traveled across the US. I have tried many different parking situations and here are some observations from my point of view (single woman alone in rig with 2 small dogs).

My only concern is safety. I love Walmart and I do check on Allstays for other peoples opinion. It has helped me make up my mind on where to stay. (bad part of town, etc). I only stay at Supercenters that are open all night, away from the store but, not isolated area and near another rig, if possible.

I call ahead to ask for permission, too. I walk dogs before I get to lot so all I have to do is park and eat and get to bed. I do not want anyone to know I am alone inside. I always shop in morning to spend money there .

I have tried truck stops but, never again. Waaay too noisy and lots "stuff" going on around. I am very careful to not get into any "lonely" situations like empty parking lots, etc. anywhere. I would try a church if there were people nearby.

keysbabe1, Welcome to the FMCA forum!

I can understand your concerns and agree with the truck stop feeling, I feel the same way about them. FIVE, had a good recommendation if you feel comfortable with that, maybe take a class on safety also to become more comfortable with a firearm if you choose to go that route and if you are not familiar with them now. I bought my wife (scared of guns) a tazer similar to what is carried by law enforcement, smaller but works the same.

keysbabe1,

One thing you have that you need to keep close at hand is your keys. You have a Panic Button and when in doubt, hit the Panic Button, pick up the, as suggested, Taser then investigate. If no problem then you can turn off the Panic Alarm and resume what you were doing.

It is a shame, that in this day and age we must be so concerned with the bad elements around us.

Mam, be safe and keep on RVing.

Herman