ajrahman

Flat Towing With Or Without Brakes

Hi, I am new to the scene.

We have a 30' RV with which we would like to two a small car behind.

We would like to (flat tow, 4 down).

Can any one tell me whether or not I need supplemental braking installed i.e. surge or electric?

Thank you for your knowledge.

I would encourage you to have supplemental braking. One in 5 that have ever towed has had a breakaway if for no other reason. The additional braking will help you on long downhill grades and emergency stopping. While there are many good braking systems, the best that we have used and now have is the Air Force One. I am sure that others will chime in about their braking systems.

A tow dolly adds another level of complexity. I would only use one if doing so allows you to not buy a new vehicle that you can tow 4 wheels down.

I had a manual car that was at end of lease. I got an automatic without thinking it through so that my 16 year old could use during after school activities. Well now I am in a pickle. So I believe a dolly is my only options at this point. Having that said, I am thinking of one that would handle about 3000lbs like this guy. (http://theusatrailerstore.com/products/additional-trailers/tow-max-heavy-duty-car-tow-dolly.html?gclid=CKTCjbTt2rsCFRBnOgodLlAAwQ). surge brakes or electronics???

Maybe the other good thing would be that I could haul any small car with this..

Remember the tongue weight is counted in your GVWR and a tow dolly has a lot more tongue weight than towing on all fours...I use a RV2 brake...

gtony

Desert deals that is incorrect. For example a 4 wheel 2 axle trailer has to have brakes on at least one axle unless over a certain weight

A trailer made out of a pickup box requires no brakes,A small snowmobile trailer requires no brakes etc. Toads in BC do not require supplemental brake unless over 4000 lbs . there are other exceptions. I would not pull a toad with a gasser without a supplemental brake system personally.

I currently pull a Grand Vitara 4x4 with my 41ft Allegro bus without a system as the two stage engine brake and chassis air brakes are sufficient

In the great State of Texas any thing being towed over 1200 lbs requires brakes. But I would check with your States requirements and also check with your insurance company to see what they require. If you are in a state that requires brakes and you do not have them on your tow and are involved in an accident, your fault or not you could be held responsible and your insurance may not pay off. Be safe and check.

Happy New Year to all.

Herman

I believe with a tow dolly you would have brakes on the dolly???? This would most likely qualify as the brakes because many states do require it.

Also, if something does happen, even if not your fault, without brakes, when required, it could become your fault, and your insurance company (or should I say former company because you would probably be dropped) could give you a hard time about paying a claim if you are not following the brake requirements.

Also, many camp grounds, RV parks, RV Resorts make you store the dolly somewhere other than your site.

I have the M&G Engineering proportional braking system that I've use on a Chevy Malibu and a Jeep Wrangler. I highly recommend some kind of braking system for those just in case moments that we hope will never happen.

Remember - motorhome braking systems are designed to stop the motorhome and "aid" in stopping the in tow whether it be a trailer, vehicle, etc.

Happy 2014!

A quick google of state laws for towing a car behind a motorhome will show you most states require a braking system. As Hermanmullins says you may not be covered in a accident without one. I won't tow without the system hooked up. If you don't have a breakaway hooked up and you loose the toad you will be liable.

Desert deals that is incorrect. For example a 4 wheel 2 axle trailer has to have brakes on at least one axle unless over a certain weight

A trailer made out of a pickup box requires no brakes,A small snowmobile trailer requires no brakes etc. Toads in BC do not require supplemental brake unless over 4000 lbs . there are other exceptions. I would not pull a toad with a gasser without a supplemental brake system personally.

I currently pull a Grand Vitara 4x4 with my 41ft Allegro bus without a system as the two stage engine brake and chassis air brakes are sufficient

My friend used to haul boats and trailers built in this country to Canada and they will not let you in their country without brakes on all axles. He has had to go back to Indiana to the trailer mfg to have brakes added to the second axle. He did that only once, the next time he wouldn't leave the plant until it had the correct brakes.

desertdeals,

We're not talking about the same situations or conditions. Brakes are only required on both axles if over 6100 lbs

also towing a trailer behind a large DPMH has different requirements brake wise over say pulling the same trailer behind a small pick up.

Brakes are not required on a toad weighing less than 4400lbs and is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of the MH

The other thing is you can't just say Canada. We have ten provinces and every one has different laws. The ones I am familiar with are BC.

So in some provinces your friend is correct and in others not so. I should have clarified I was talking BC.

Also note he was not stopped at the border. Border patrol are not MOT and have no jurisdiction regarding brakes on trailer axles etc

I been through the border hundreds of times over the years and have never once heard of or seen any border guard do a mechanical inspection or inquire.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Given my predicament, I think my best option is a tow dolly with some sort of brakes, and more people suggest the electric brakes, so electric brakes it may be. I just hope it is as easy as when I was flat towing my manual trans car.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Given my predicament, I think my best option is a tow dolly with some sort of brakes, and more people suggest the electric brakes, so electric brakes it may be. I just hope it is as easy as when I was flat towing my manual trans car.

Down the road, you'll find that to have been a wise and considerate decision for everyone. :)

Herman, is the 1200lbs in Texas a new law? Here's what I found for TX towing: anything over 4500lbs require brakes.