pamkay0707

Advice Wanted: Looking At 2004 Travel Supreme For Fulltiming

At a budget of 150K(max) I would suggest looking at slightly older upper end models of Beaver, Newmar, Country Coach, Monaco or Holiday Rambler.

Now that said you will have to go a couple years older than a Tiffin Phaeton priced at 150K.

What I am saying is you can buy a (for a example) 2005 -06 Beaver Patriot Thunder for 150K which is 3 times the MH a 2008 Phaeton would ever hope to be.

Also 20K or 35K or 50 on these upper end units makes no difference on a unit as well build and anointed as a upper end Beaver (example) same with Country Coach, etc.

2006 Beaver PT 43 tag on RV trader with ask of $155K. This unit blows a 2011 Phaeton out of the water quality wise.

I am new to this forum. I suppose that it would be good to actually give more info and ask a question. I am from a motorhoming family and we tent camped a lot with our three sons.

We would like to try fulltiming when we retire this spring. We have looked at 36 foot new Tiffins and Winnebago models.

Now we have a chance to buy thru family a 2004 Travel Supreme diesel 41'7" in length. It has been very gently used, mostly for snowbirding in Florida. The owners are offering it to us for $80,000 and are including their toad which is 2007 Honda CRV.

My brother thinks we need a diesel to travel the US and that we need the storage of a 40plus length to be happy full timing it.

Any comments?

Any owners of Select Supremes that really liked their RV?

sounds reasonable with the toad.

How many slides?

What motor?

How many" miles"?

Have the old out of date TV.s been upgraded?

What year are the tires?

Dish washer?

Washer/dryer?

Hours on gent set?

Type of fridge?

It has brand new tires, Norcold double door refrigerator, Cummins 500HP engine, Jake brake, 3 slides, washer/dryer. It has around 80,000 miles on it. Am not sure if the 3 TV's have been updated. It has a 110 solar panel, auto gen start and auto gen slide, and hydro hot heating system. They have all the maintenance records. We have read some negative comments about getting camping sites for motorhomes over 40 feet long. And we heard that some states require a special license to drive them too. Will we need to get a special drivers license to drive this 41'7" RV in California?

We do plan on taking RV driving lessons at Lazy Days in Tampa and also plan to camp closer to interstates at first and use the toad to do sightseeing. We are just unsure about our first RV being this long. The longest one of my parents that I drove was 34 feet long.

The state that you have as your drivers license dictates what kind of license is required and NOT the state your visiting, so check your local DMV for correct license.

500HP is very very nice Big plus..80K is high miles but if super clean and properly serviced and new tires it sounds like a reasonable deal. Its a upper end unit Does it have a dish washer? How many hours on the gen set? all and all sounds like a killer unit to me especially with the toad thrown in. I would track down a person whom knows diesel pushers inside and out and pay him to do a full inspection. Also get the actual owner to personally run the slides in and out a couple times each and same with the jacks. Find out if the trans has 295 Allison oil and has the new filters,make sure the aquahot has been serviced.make sure its got the Cummins lifetime coolant etc. If all this has been done then that means the guy really really looked after this unit.

TICAT900 is correct-- the driver's license you need is dictated by the state where you live/get licensed.

But, in terms of length, weight, speed limits, etc you must conform with the laws of the state you are driving in.

Going to have to differ on the mileage comment by ticat900... 80k is nothing on one of these big diesels. Just check to see that the normal maintenance has been accomplished.

Allegiance,

I said 80K is high mileage because it is what it is. that's high mileage for a 2004 era diesel pusher when compared to whats out there. look at most all out there and there between 30 and 60K. it was a comment that really meant nothing just my view/observation of things.

Take two IDENTICAL Motorhomes one is 40K mileage and one is 80+K mileage are you trying to tell us that there both worth the same identical money-- ain't going to happen.

All in All it seems like a nice unit and a decent price. Just need the OP to report back on answers to my questions to be definitive in my opinion of price etc.

I do a lot of mechanical inspections on coaches.

It is the "dock queens" that sit most of their lives that show more mechanical problems than the higher mile coaches. Those that sit for a year or more (very low mileage) are the worse.

Miles WITH, repeat WITH good preventive maintenance is not an issue for a DP. You may be able to kill a diesel, but it is very unlikely that you will wear it out.

Actually, my husband just corrected me. The Supreme Select 2004 has 66, 000 on it not 80,000. Am not sure about the hours on the gen set? Will have to find out. It has no dish washer.. It is supposed to have been a $350,00+ unit when it was purchased. The people selling it are good friends of my sister in law and they are anxious for someone they know to buy it.

We are flying to Florida to look at it and drive it next week. Hope we like it. We are anxious to try the full time life.. We raised 3 sons, who are now Eagle Scouts. We have been active in Boy scouting for over 25 years and love the outdoor part of camping, except when it is raining. And I want my own bathroom and bed! Thanks for all your opinions. Would like to hear from Supreme Select owners...is there a forum for Supreme Select owners?

OK like I said if the unit has been maintained and has all the new up to date type oils and coolants and trans filters etc

and is in the shape indicated you really can't go wrong at 80K with the old toad included.

However I personally recommend getting a real good RV guy to do a total inspection and also run all the slides in/out several times and go through the jack deployment a couple times etc etc

Be aware that CA does have a 65' max length limit for an RV so at 42' for the RV you need to add the length of the toad and tow bar to ensure you do not exceed the limit. It is a moving violation with points and $$. The CRV should not create any kind of an issue but if you replace that at a later date you just need to pay attention.

Adams, I don't get it. He asked if it was a good deal etc You could put a GM Crewcab 4X4 behind that 42 foot bus and still be legal anywhere in NA for gawds sake.

I have friend who lives next door to me with a 45 Provost and dodge dually one ton and has been in CA for years and nary a worry.

In fact almost all 400 MH in my resort are 43-45 with large toads.

its not a consideration at all and nothing to do with what the Op is asking for information on

We have a 2008 Travel Supreme and love it.

TS made a quality coach.

Like others have said if it's been maintained it should last for years.

Sounds like a good deal to me. In that price range new the radiator is probably side mounted. So far I haven't heard a down side. I bet you buy it.

I do a lot of mechanical inspections on coaches.

It is the "dock queens" that sit most of their lives that show more mechanical problems than the higher mile coaches. Those that sit for a year or more (very low mileage) are the worse.

Miles WITH, repeat WITH good preventive maintenance is not an issue for a DP. You may be able to kill a diesel, but it is very unlikely that you will wear it out.

Hi Wolfe

You are too far from SoCal. Can you refer me to a good person to do an inspection in this neck of the woods?

Thank you

Rick

Rick,

Sorry, don't know anyone out that way.

We are still in Wisconsin-- procrastinating heading back to Texas until it starts cooling off!

Brett,

I'm in Southern Cal at Port Hueneme and it is 8:20 p.m. and 67 degrees.

Traffic is horrible though.

Sorry Rick, I'm of no help either.