QuiGonJohn

Water Pump Cycling

We spent Christmas week parked at my daughter's house in Tampa. We were on electric, but using onboard water with the water pump, I believe it is a ShurFlow.

Anyway, this time camping we had the water pump switched on most of the time. So we didn't have to switch it every time we needed water for anything.

I noticed that about 45 mins to an hour after no use, the water pump would kick on, for just an instant, then go right back off. I checked all faucets for any dripping, as well as under the sinks, the toilet sprayer and any hoses I could see under our bed, where our water pump and most of the water lines go to) and could not find any leak or even droplets. I even checked the water hose and faucets in my dump bay, nothing there either. I also did not notice any water dripping from under the motorhome or into any of the storage bays.

Is it normal for pressure to just drop a little over time. Or, is there some kind of backflow/check valve at or near the pump that may be allowing pressure to drop, just enough to trigger the pump to come back on for a moment?

Like Brett says - one or the other.

In my case it was the check valve in the pump. I mentioned it to a Shurflo rep at a rally and he gave a rebuild kit so they must not be very expensive.

Since it didn't really bother me that much, I never got around to installing it and the pump cured itself. Must have been something caught in the check valve.

Thanks. I'm thinking most likely the check valve, as I have not been able to find a leak. As Clay said, doesn't bother me much, and we seldom run like that. Usually we're either on city water or just using the water pump on when we need it, off the rest of the time.

If you have a totally enclosed underbelly, it will really be hard to find a very small leak. It might not even be leaking enough to drip on the ground.

QuiGonJohn,

The check valve in your pump is very easy to change. At any time have you been hooked up to city water supply without your pressure regulator on your hose? If so there may have been enough pressure to damage your check valve. I had a pres./reg. that went bad for some reason and I had to replace it.

Everyone loves the mysteries of the sounds coming from our MHs.

Herman

If you have an outside shower (kitchen type sprayer) if the hot and cold valves are open, the pump will cycle. Usually this is very rapid cycling, but if one valve only leaks a little, the cycling will be less frequent.

I checked for that. It is the water hose and faucets in my dump bay, that I mentioned, can also be an outside, hand held shower. No indication of any leakage or dripping from the faucets, the hose or the "showerhead end".